2 FUT Procedures, Does a Bad Scar Preclude a 3rd?

Hello everyone. So I've already posted a thread asking about if my scar was a keloid, I've consulted a couple of surgeons who say it is not one. At least that's good news.

That said, it is definitely not a thin scar, and since I'm looking to get a third FUT procedure since my laxity is good enough to do so, I've been wondering if the width of the scar will result in most hair transplant surgeons not doing another FUT procedure. I know it'll probably be hard to get an acceptable number of grafts if the scar is included in the strip since it's so wide. That said, since I keep my hair long and don't mind scars (although I wouldn't mind an invisible one, either!), I was wondering if any of you have been to surgeons who are able to safely excise two strips in one procedure. 

I was told about the possibility of necrosis by another hair transplant surgeon if one takes two strips at once. Failing the ability to take two strips, is one able to get a typical number of grafts (at least 2,000) from a second strip when the scar from their prior surgeries is really bad? Or is the second strip not as wide/inclusive of the safe donor zone and thus not ideal? Thanks in advance for any input.

.280678259_image0(5).jpeg.24191bc06e55a7555544f5d9aa54184a.jpeg1027940209_image3(1).jpeg.bb421dcc91e6143070a16865350d8e52.jpeg69944673_image2(1).jpeg.473abfa5a54c38b2687f97b4a53d56be.jpeg1761371638_image1(4).jpeg.22df64b2227b215eabc825c7ec844013.jpeg433575923_image0(7).jpeg.4ade61679d14b63e0c2f7dc8bd6b82e8.jpeg

Edited by Superteeth

With the prior scar being prominent I don't know if you should risk a third. Perhaps a good FUE along with beard body hair into the strip. I would probably try to revise the scar first because regardless of which procedure you did, less visibility would allow the surgeon more flexibility in picking the harvest site.

Hmmm, never thought about that part about covering the scar to some extent to allow for more options in donor hair locations. I wasn't concerned about the cosmetic impact of the scar so long as it wasn't ridiculously wide. But that's true that if it were covered up somewhat I would be able to use the follicles directly above and below the scar. Good point, thanks for that input.

At any rate it doesn't look like most hair transplant doctors want to do another FUT procedure on me because of the scar. 

Another thing, I actually measured the width of the scar and it appears to be about 5-6mm wide along the entire back and some of the sides. It's wider directly above the ears though. I would hope that scalp laxity exercises would allow me to reach a laxity that would allow for the excision of a strip that's at least 2cm wide and 24cm long (the length along the back of my head still in the safe donor zone), and assuming average donor density at 60 follicles/cm2 that would yield (including the scar tissue) 2,160 grafts. But if this is a long shot or not I don't know for certain yet.

Edited by Superteeth

Personally I would get scar revision. My first 2 HTs was via FUT and was never that happy with the scar. So a few years on at the same time of getting some FUE I had the dr do scar revision. I have ended up with a much better and neater scar.

If I had the choice to start all over again I would never had any FUT as even with the scar revised I can’t have my hair that short.

I am also thinking of some beard grafts in to the scar to help camouflage it.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just end up getting FUE/SMP into the scar just to conceal it better and allow me to get more grafts via FUE in the area in the future. 

I'm the type that straight up tells people that I've had hair transplants, so at the same time when I thought about it the scar itself doesn't bother me because of its cosmetic impact, but because it precludes my ability to get more FUE grafts. I keep my hair long but will cut it shorter in the future, possibly even getting an undercut type hairstyle if it suits me, and I won't make any effort to conceal the scar until I plan on getting FUE. Same thing if people ask what the deal is with the scar, I'll just straight up tell them I had hair transplants. I don't care. Hell, I might screw with some people and say something like "I had some gnarly brain surgery!" just for fun!

I wish people didn't feel like they had to hide that they've had hair transplants. So I guess to combat this silly stigma surrounding them I'm 100% open about it.

Edited by Superteeth