What can I expect 2+ weeks after FUT?

I just scheduled an FUT procedure that is estimate for about 2500–3000 grafts in my crown, with any extra going to the corners of my hairline. About 18 days after the procedure, I will be traveling out-of-state for two weeks for work—I will be interacting with clients. Aside from this obligation, I am working from home. This isn't really a large consideration in my decision to undergo FUT, but I am wondering what I can expect 18 days post-op. From what I've read, shaving the recipient area is not necessary for FUT. So will there be any visible redness in my crown at 18 days? If there are enough grafts to work on the corners of my hairline, will these still be red/ugly at 18 days?

I appreciate any responses. I know I can ask my doctor, but I am looking more for others' personal experiences.

• Moderators

Redness varies a great deal. Some people don't have any redness after a week or two and others will still have lingering redness for 6 months. Usually lighter skin with lighter hair gets the most and longest lasting redness. If you have an olive colored skin and dark hair you may not have much redness, but it varies.

As for shaving the donor, with FUT they will only shave a strip of hair where they will be taking the strip out, so once they sew or staple you up you can usually hide it if you let your hair grow long enough. It's easier to cover with your hair once you get the sutures or staples out after about 12 days because it's just so much easier combing it then.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.