Canada Border Closed - US Clinics Reopening?

Looks like US-Canada border is closing another 30 days. ☹️

Dang - I was really hoping to get into Hasson and Wong for a procedure and heal up during work from home this summer. 

Does anyone know of other clinics open that are US-based? I would really prefer Dr Hasson as I need 4-5k grafts and I love his work, but considering Cooley, Gabel and Shapiro if they can get me in within the next month or so. 

The ban on cosmetic procedures was lifted several weeks ago so my guess is that most of the clinics should have re-opened by now?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

4 hours ago, gillenator said:

The ban on cosmetic procedures was lifted several weeks ago so my guess is that most of the clinics should have re-opened by now?

He’s talking about not being able to cross the border. And no, I am in contact with both H&W and Rahal, and neither are open yet, Canada only just entered phase 1 of re-opening, likely clinics will be allowed to come back sometime in June 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

He’s talking about not being able to cross the border. And no, I am in contact with both H&W and Rahal, and neither are open yet, Canada only just entered phase 1 of re-opening, likely clinics will be allowed to come back sometime in June 

I’m surprised they didn’t include physicians in phase 1. Most of the US is still locked down, but non-urgent physician visits have been allowed.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m surprised they didn’t include physicians in phase 1. Most of the US is still locked down, but non-urgent physician visits have been allowed.

Yeah surprises me too. I believe Dr. Diep as an example has been operating this whole time. They’re gonna be busy rescheduling a whole lot of patients 

On 5/19/2020 at 9:26 PM, TorontoMan said:

Thank you for the clarification my friend.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, hairlossPA said:

H&W is closed until August. I received an email asking to reschedule my procedure on July 30-31

Wow until August, are you sure it’s not due to scheduling? I would be very surprised, most of the US has opened up, and we have 10x the amount of cases as Canada.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Wow until August, are you sure it’s not due to scheduling? I would be very surprised, most of the US has opened up, and we have 10x the amount of cases as Canada.

“Dr. Hasson has made the decision to keep his clinic closed until at least August.

I am very sorry but we will have to move your surgery scheduled on July 30th and July 31st.   Is there a time in the early fall that would work for you to reschedule your surgery?

This was a very difficult decision for Dr. Hasson to make and he appreciates your understanding.”

I originally had a surgery scheduled for 4/20, then rescheduled to 6/4, then rescheduled to 7/30. I’m not sure if it’s worth getting a HT at this point before my wedding next year in June.

Edited by hairlossPA

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

“Dr. Hasson has made the decision to keep his clinic closed until at least August.

I am very sorry but we will have to move your surgery scheduled on July 30th and July 31st.   Is there a time in the early fall that would work for you to reschedule your surgery?

This was a very difficult decision for Dr. Hasson to make and he appreciates your understanding.”

I originally had a surgery scheduled for 4/20, then rescheduled to 6/4, then rescheduled to 7/30. I’m not sure if it’s worth getting a HT at this point before my wedding next year in June.

Well if your wedding isn’t till June next year, you should be good. 10 months post-op should be enough time.

View my thread

5 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

Their next available dates are in October I just found out

You said you’re getting married next June? Don’t do the procedure this year then. Planning a wedding is stressful enough man...dealing with the hair transplant will multiply that. Just my opinion.

You certainly wouldn’t look any worse at The 6 month mark and up then maybe your current situation, although I’m just making an assumption so I could be wrong. But you wouldn’t have much to worry about. Worry about the initial first month of recovery and then she grows as she grows, out of your control anyway 

Hi Guys,

To provide a bit more clarity:

As everyone knows our clinic has been closed as part of our effort to control the spread of COVID-19. Border restrictions for US patients have been extended to June 21. We should get an update closer to that date. However, there is some uncertainty as to whether that date may also be extended so we’re obviously in a wait and see situation. For patients who want their procedure as soon as we reopen we have placed them on the wait list to contact as soon as we have clarity and can perform their procedure. Many patients without a sense of urgency have moved their procedure date into September and beyond. If things go better than expected and there is an opportunity, they also have the option to move their date up sooner into July or August if desired and possible.  We had decided that it was best to book a little farther out rather than to keep moving dates every few weeks.

Hairloss PA, 

I know you were not planning on dealing with this pandemic but even if you have your procedure by Nov 1, you should look pretty darn good by June 2020 so don’t despair yet 😊

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, H & W Doug said:

Hi Guys,

To provide a bit more clarity:

As everyone knows our clinic has been closed as part of our effort to control the spread of COVID-19. Border restrictions for US patients have been extended to June 21. We should get an update closer to that date. However, there is some uncertainty as to whether that date may also be extended so we’re obviously in a wait and see situation. For patients who want their procedure as soon as we reopen we have placed them on the wait list to contact as soon as we have clarity and can perform their procedure. Many patients without a sense of urgency have moved their procedure date into September and beyond. If things go better than expected and there is an opportunity, they also have the option to move their date up sooner into July or August if desired and possible.  We had decided that it was best to book a little farther out rather than to keep moving dates every few weeks.

Hairloss PA, 

I know you were not planning on dealing with this pandemic but even if you have your procedure by Nov 1, you should look pretty darn good by June 2020 so don’t despair yet 😊

Doug,

Thank you for clarifying this with our forum. I would like to reach out to the physicians, and perhaps we can start a Q&A here and share it on YouTube and other social media outlets. 

I’m sure the community has more questions concerning protocols that no doubt be in place. For example, are patients to come alone? Will there be any changed in terms of the session sizes due to having less people in one room. I would like to set the record straight and clear up any confusion. I appreciate you coming on here. I’ll be in touch with you. 

Community, 

If you have questions please direct them here, so I can gather them for a response. 

Best wishes,

View my thread

Thanks Bill. I confirmed my new date of 10/5. I wanted to stay away from this month due to some events already planned, but I can't keep pushing this out and will have to bite the bullet. I asked the coordinator to put me on the wait list for possible dates if they become available. I would've preferred a full 12 months, but 9ish months should be good enough I hope...

• Administrators

The weird thing is in Vancouver, there’s a lot of people who travel to Washington to shop for groceries. Food is essential, wonder if that’s off limits too.

View my thread

This extension does not surprise me and don't be surprised if it gets pushed even further down the road...kick the can.

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

This is going to extended through early 2021 for sure. 80% Canadians approve border closure and it's making me evaluate US Surgeons. I think I may go with Shapiro if he has a sooner date available, which he does.

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23