How long to go back to work as far as physical limitations

My question is slightly different because I work from home, but I work in a job that requires extremely intense focus for 12 hours straight. I am not as worried about the cosmetic effects, but how long the pain/discomfort after surgery would be to prevent me returning to this level of attention.

I know everyone's recovery is different, but is there a ballpark estimate?

It takes about 3-4 days for the donor area to heal. About a week for the swelling in the front to go away. So one week's rest is quite enough. In my case I was at home for a week, had my head wash on Day 8 and returned to office.

Edited by Goldwing

It takes about 3-4 days for the donor area to heal. About a week for the swelling in the front to go away. So one week's rest is quite enough. In my case I was at home for a week, had my head wash on Day 8 and returned to office.

Edited by Goldwing

Depends on your procedure.  For my first two FUT procedures (both by Dr. Konior),  both of which were over 2,000 grafts each, the recovery was definitely slower than my last FUE surgery of 1,600 grafts.  That said, I was back in the office after two weeks after my first FUT procedures (I waited until I got my staples removed) and after one week after my second (my existing hair hid my staples well).  I had swelling in my eyes for about a day or two (icing helped a lot) and my scalp felt completely numb due to the nerves being severed (it took several months for that feeling to subside - it did not hurt, just felt really weird).  The staples felt a bit Frankenstein-ish and tight and slightly uncomfortable while sleeping til they came out.  Not horrible but annoying.  My latest FUE surgery was an absolute breeze (again Dr. Konior performing it was likely why).  I felt literally no pain anywhere.  Not in donor nor in recipient area.  I took no medicine at all and the only painful part was having to deal with a shaved head.

Just my personal experience.  Other's experiences obviously may vary.  Generally I don't think the pain of an HT, if there is any, is overly distracting, unless you have issues unique to your physiology, which is always possible.

I worked as an auditor, and I could have worked the next day except for doing the saline solution often.

• Thanks 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Moderators

If you're working from home and don't care what you look like and it doesn't include any strenuous activity then you can probably be back to work in 2 days.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:04 PM, Dazed said:

I worked as an auditor, and I could have worked the next day except for doing the saline solution often.

Very helpful, thank you. How often did you have to use saline?

On 5/20/2020 at 10:21 PM, BeHappy said:

If you're working from home and don't care what you look like and it doesn't include any strenuous activity then you can probably be back to work in 2 days.

Is this for FUE or FUT? Or is it the same with both? I would imagine FUT would take longer..

• Moderators
7 hours ago, gilgamesh said:

Is this for FUE or FUT? Or is it the same with both? I would imagine FUT would take longer..

Same with both. Plenty of people post lengthy transplant experience details with multiple photos the day after the procedure. If you're doing work on the computer and taking phone calls you shouldn't have any major problems with that. You probably won't feel like doing much the day after the procedure, but past that you should be fine. I walked 3 blocks to the hotel right after my hair transplant and the next day I walked back to the clinic for cleaning and then back to the hotel and then to the bus station to take a 2.5 hour bus ride home and then walked 4 blocks from the bus station to where my car was parked and then drove a few miles.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.