4900 FUE - Dr. Hasson - Jan 2020

7 hours ago, karatekid said:

Well I got that, but this is a general statement,it's not related to my specific case . So it just means that he suggests FUE to everybody now?

Tbh I find this concerning. 

geverally speaking, many (most?) HT surgeons acknowledge that FUT is more likely to produce a higher yield. And clearly, in HW’s hands, FUT has produced many great densely packed results in the past.  

furthermore, if you’re a high Norwood it’s pretty clear that starting with FUT and using FUE later is the best strategy for optimizing donor supply. 

Would really like to hear a better explanation from them on why they don’t recommend FUT. hoping it’s not because they make significantly more money doing FUE than FUT

• Like 1

I did a consult with him at the end of last year for a similar graft count and while he was happy to go along with FUE (my choice) he pointed out several of the benefits (including cost) of FUT. It was clear he preferred FUT but was happy to accommodate me. I didn't submit a video though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, 911fan said:

What else could it be? It's easy to do a search and see how much the clinic would talk about small incisions, the size differences between blades and needles and the super high densities Hasson can get. Even on their website there is a quote they use from another doctor that talked about seeing H&W patients at a conference and how the patients had 80 grafts in a centimeter. It's one thing to talk about not having a scar, which has been beat to death in the FUE vs FUT debates, but to now claim the grafts are smaller and it allows for better dense packing when we already know that that kind of density isn't really necessary? I mean, Hasson already has some of his grafts cut smaller than they are naturally so I think the graft size is really dependent on what size he wants them to be. When you exert that much control over the grafts, the method they're taken with isn't really the issue so I don't believe this for a second. 

The way Dr. Hasson explained it to me was as follows: the FUE extraction tool is a trumpet and actually pushes the hairs together, assuming a multi hair follicular unit. In contrast, using the FUT method, follicular units are separated by dissecting the strip. After the unit has been separated there is excess tissue surrounding the unit. In order to achieve a very high density, the excess tissue is cut away from the unit. By cutting away the edges the hairs within a multiple hair unit are pulled apart, thus limiting how compact the actual unit can be, which limits the ultimate density that could be achieved using said units. Hope this is as clear as mud for ya.

• Administrators

I would love to see an update, has your hair improved? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, HisHairness said:

Thanks all. @Melvin-Moderator I will provide a fulsome update this week with pics as I have just crossed the 8-month mark. Some continuous improvement on the crown, and I'd say very minor improvement upfront (e.g. I have some growth on the hairline itself, but not much behind).

Following. Very curious to know hassons response as well

Im genuinely interested as to what Hasson and Wong, or other surgeons for that matter, would do for a 'failed transplant'.
(By the way, I am not suggesting this is a failed transplant, but such a thing is one of my biggest fears)

So I wonder what surgeons policies are: full refund seems doubtful. 50% refund..hmmm who knows. free top-up? possibly..

Can anybody shed any light on this? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, follically challenged said:

Im genuinely interested as to what Hasson and Wong, or other surgeons for that matter, would do for a 'failed transplant'.
(By the way, I am not suggesting this is a failed transplant, but such a thing is one of my biggest fears)

So I wonder what surgeons policies are: full refund seems doubtful. 50% refund..hmmm who knows. free top-up? possibly..

Can anybody shed any light on this? 

Thanks

It depends on the surgeon. Some surgeons don’t offer anything and say hts have inherent risk. Some offer growth guarantees of 85-90% and offer touch ups. Some will make patients sign an NDA and give a partial/full refund in order to save face. You’ll just have to ask this question to each surgeon/clinic.

On 9/9/2020 at 3:38 PM, Flash10 said:

The way Dr. Hasson explained it to me was as follows: the FUE extraction tool is a trumpet and actually pushes the hairs together, assuming a multi hair follicular unit. In contrast, using the FUT method, follicular units are separated by dissecting the strip. After the unit has been separated there is excess tissue surrounding the unit. In order to achieve a very high density, the excess tissue is cut away from the unit. By cutting away the edges the hairs within a multiple hair unit are pulled apart, thus limiting how compact the actual unit can be, which limits the ultimate density that could be achieved using said units. Hope this is as clear as mud for ya.

That explanation sounds completely nonsense. What in the hell is Hasson talking about.

10 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

it actually makes complete sense if you researched the tools they used to do FUE extractions....

It doesn't.

If you're pushing hair follicles "together" you're leaving space where they were. Bulbar punch technique or not, unless you are somehow reducing the amount of scalp you can't do what he is suggesting.

It sounds like he's just hand waving to justify a practice change in response to market preferences.

9 minutes ago, whattheFUE said:

It doesn't.

If you're pushing hair follicles "together" you're leaving space where they were. Bulbar punch technique or not, unless you are somehow reducing the amount of scalp you can't do what he is suggesting.

It sounds like he's just hand waving to justify a practice change in response to market preferences.

watch the WAW system on youtube...

On 9/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, HisHairness said:

Thanks all. @Melvin-Moderator I will provide a fulsome update this week with pics as I have just crossed the 8-month mark. Some continuous improvement on the crown, and I'd say very minor improvement upfront (e.g. I have some growth on the hairline itself, but not much behind).

This seems to fit with your previous trend as well. This is a weird inversion of what we generally see with patients worried that the crown is lagging, but I admit I question the advice to discontinue minoxidil and do think that might be contributing here. Looking at your photos I do see the slight improvement you mention, and while the density seems subpar the strength of the hairs seems greater than before, which almost implies to me that the loss of the Minoxidil enhanced hairs offset the cosmetic impact of the newly transplanted hair. The reason this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in the crown is that it was pretty sparse regardless of medication.

Do you recall seeing appreciable improvement in that frontal and midscalp area after starting Minoxidil originally? Just curious as I try to wrap my head around this.

On the bright side, even with your concerns I do think the current state of your hair still looks decent, so even if the growth ends up being poor you're certainly not going to look bizarre or worse off than before. I realize that may not be much comfort right now, but I think this is something that could sti be corrected to get you to where you want to be, whether it's at the same clinic or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 8:02 AM, karatekid said:

Im sorry to say but as I suspected, it seems that H&W's FUE is still not at the same level as their FUT. I have been researching for my coming procedure long time and Hasson was actually my top choice but for FUT. I contacted him, and after he offered me only FUE, I passed on it since there are better options for FUE.   I see I wasnt wrong as I read here 2 cases of relatively poor results, added up to several other cases of their FUE.

Im not saying this to degrade nobody and I wish you will end up with great results eventually. But I do need to say my opinion, that based on my observation, so people can take it into consideration.

Did you consider Wong after Hasson only offered you FUE? Did you inquire if Hasson would perform FUT on you?

Hi all - apologies that I didn't' get back to some of you for the last few months. Crazy busy with work. 

I'm at my 1 year mark exactly. I am currently uploading pics that I took yesterday (dry and wet) and will post them within the hour with a bit of a write-up on my thoughts and feelings about satisfaction. Happy to answer questions over the coming days.

Hi all. Thanks for the wait and I appreciate the comments on my thread this past year. Here are pictures of my 1 year progress, taken with dry and wet hair. Note my hair is longer than it was pre-op so that is somewhat playing a factor here.

Overall, I think my results are a 7/10 but I'd like to hear opinions of others.

This has been such a long process but finally, as of the last few months, I do feel content and that it wasn't a total failure (for a bit in the middle of the year I was genuinely worried).

I'm better off than I was pre-op without a doubt, however there is a patch in my front behind the hairline that bothers me (you can see it in the pics below). When my hair is combed normally / pushed back, this fairly unnoticeable though. All things considered, my results vastly improved from the 6 month mark - so I'd like to give some credence to the late-bloomer theory. I had some good growth in the front and even in my crown right up past 9 months. It feels like I'm done growing, but it's also become less of a daily thing for me to check. Here are the pics:

Dry Hair - Normal Light

IMG_9870.thumb.JPG.34e5e0658e80d528ebf5ddb7e762171b.JPG

IMG_9871.thumb.JPG.f0f9c4f5dd3be00aea6ac7a248ca2d08.JPG

IMG_9872.thumb.JPG.ac48d85267c8799bab78689c7046ef31.JPG

IMG_9873.thumb.JPG.24bf0d371cb3ebf2816b01a94bd80696.JPG

IMG_9877.thumb.JPG.5179c7cfeb22c8a03cbe87cf9e0f3b80.JPG

IMG_9874.thumb.JPG.4b9fba163d7a3d7bef6ad6a5e2afb461.JPG

IMG_9875.thumb.JPG.880011ae505554e89c32bb26060349be.JPG

IMG_9885.thumb.JPG.d932d4a01d04684a358647b221a1f2ba.JPG

Wet hair - Post shower (so very wet in first few) with some bright light and some normal light

IMG_9879.thumb.JPG.ee03769e60c8d9d890c4f848abd44c38.JPG

IMG_9880.thumb.JPG.e52f867f41f83e49027b2136c45d8b32.JPG

IMG_9881.thumb.JPG.d550ec63ad7d707becb491edceebedae.JPG

IMG_9882.thumb.JPG.4daa2d36ef3f9ea22f141432ca6f880b.JPG

IMG_9883.thumb.JPG.843687b2f929a13cc879af2d234e68cf.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you both @JohnAC71 and @Spidey. perhaps I am being too harsh of a critic. One thing to note is that before my operation I was walking around with my hair combed back and very few people could tell I was thinning. My pre-op photos are really accentuated to show the degree of my thinning - I haven't really taken the same photos here (where I explicitly pull the hair to show weaknesses).

nonetheless it is good to hear positive results from you guys - thanks!! :)