4900 FUE - Dr. Hasson - Jan 2020

On 6/14/2020 at 1:13 AM, KM90 said:

@HisHairness any update? 🙂

@KM90 Thanks for checking in buddy. Not a ton of positive momentum to be honest. I'll post a pic shortly from month 5 & 1 week. My existing hair (and donor) has grown and is looking great / back to normal, but the recipient area (particularly in the front) has seen next to nil. I've been busy at work recently but will catch this post up in the coming days.

• 2 weeks later...

@hairgod22 thanks for checking in. Still not much growth to be frank. My crown might be coming in (I continue to feel stubble), but visually it's very difficult to tell. My hairline is actually much worse than started as of now, which isn't great.

I'm sorry for not providing pictures, I've been moving and given the pandemic, don't have access to same bathroom lighting so am waiting to do a solid line up of pictures. Hopefully can do so within a week when I'm at the 6 month mark.

Hope you start seeing results soon. Did Dr Hasson have anything to say about the delay?

I guess patient physiology will always play a factor even if the surgery is done perfectly, and can reduce the number of grafts that end up surviving? This worries me and makes me want to do an even smaller procedure than the 1800 I was considering.

How's the donor looking btw?

On 7/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

Hope you start seeing results soon. Did Dr Hasson have anything to say about the delay?

I guess patient physiology will always play a factor even if the surgery is done perfectly, and can reduce the number of grafts that end up surviving? This worries me and makes me want to do an even smaller procedure than the 1800 I was considering.

How's the donor looking btw?

Thanks for the kind words @giegnosiganoe. I haven't checked in with the doctors but will likely be checking in soon. i just took some pics this evening and will post this weekend.

FWIW the donor looks / feels great. No issues there. I'll post in next 48 hours with a thorough summary. Apologies for the delays but I was hoping for some better updates...

Hi all -

Following up here with my 6 month photos. As noted before, I had really hoped to have some better results to post at this time, but alas here we are.

I'd like to preface these pics by noting:

• due to covid quarantine / work from home policies, I havent had a single haircut since the procedure (at first this was helpful, now it's a bit too messy but does still help cover things up front with a bit of a  combover 
  • sadly I'm not in the same home I was in for my last check-in, so the precise lighting can not be replicated, but i have tried to imitate a bright bathroom light to my best ability
  • AT this point, I feel as if I'm back to right around pre-operation with my crown (perhaps a slight improvement there but it's negligible at best) and my front / hairline is worse than pre-op

I have not reached out to my doctor but will be doing so this week for advice / questions. I imagine they will suggest I wait further. Please feel free to chime in with questions or your own opinions as well.

Pictures:

Front / Hairline

8759362_front_wetpulledasidebrightlight(183).thumb.jpeg.fb3def6449331f8382165a221b2cd9bf.jpeg1806600276_front_wetbrightlight(183).thumb.jpeg.7edcfb90b1c90dadaab23846a6aff51c.jpeg2007399672_front_directLight(183).thumb.jpeg.d28a68b8d280d11e1f047e1ff728f4ae.jpeg

196317108_hairlinedrydirectlight(183).thumb.jpeg.5b7e63d5299f1cc730e8f2bed744531a.jpeg

1189569602_front_lowlight(183).thumb.jpeg.65a161b9470c1c2871e8e7e6bee88892.jpeg

Crown:

1983252667_crownwetbrightlight(183).thumb.jpeg.39e4bc718c7d44422545b322ba812884.jpeg

1244414477_crownbrightlightdiffangle(183).thumb.jpeg.d286441de64cec1c5a3efe5391da4ccd.jpeg

1904413186_crowndrydirectlight(183).thumb.jpeg.79c5112f0909e6fefe7d49e7adcc9b8d.jpeg

426924955_crownlowlightpushedfwd(183).thumb.jpeg.ef6dcbdfac8fa3ade09a40a9209012b9.jpeg

1307359206_crownlowlight(183).thumb.jpeg.363e9f291eeac69ddaade44df35c28fd.jpeg

1696415320_crowndrylowlight(183).thumb.jpeg.cf8bcd7c3b6f4ad3f8066081d017375a.jpeg

Hang in there man. Maybe it’s just the lighting but I definitely see an improvement compared to the 4 month photos you posted. Hopefully you are a textbook case of a slow grower and are simply 2 months behind the average growth timeline which does happen especially with fine haired guys.  

Check out this case...this guy had almost the same number of grafts as you except he had a lot go into his temple points. His results at 6 months were not impressive but he was a classic slow grower and ended up with a pretty great result considering his starting point and he had a couple guys being ultra negative in his thread.

Edited by Sam818

Hey man, If I’m being honest, I would say 1 of 2 things may be happening...or both..1. You may be a slow grower/progressor and 2. Your native hairs may have succumb to mpb making it look as if nothing is happening. I could be wrong but stay positive and I hope you’re just a 1. and the progress kicks into gear for you soon! Best of luck!

PS definitely get in touch with the doc and ask questions just to be sure.

3 minutes ago, Der3k7 said:

This might be a poor Hasson and Wong result :/ jeez its crazy how hair transplants are such an iffy cosmetic procedure. Hit or miss 

Jumping the gun there. Slow growers can happen. No need add undue stress on the guy. If it was 12 months post then I might agree with you.

• Like 3

Thanks gents.

@Sam818 - I appreciate you sending that example. Definitely could be the case that I'm just a slow grower and my hair is certainly fine which might be a factor here. I will say that I do feel stubble continuing to come through on the crown which gives me hope that it's just a bit delayed. The hairline less so - I feel some stubble on the *literal* hairline, but then for the 1-3 inches beyond that, there's hardly the feeling of new stubble as I run my fingers over my scalp. Tough to describe the exact feeling but hopefully this captures what I'm trying to convey.

@CosmoKramer - thanks as well. One thing that I should point out is that my hair right now is all the same shaggy length. In other words, my natives started growing right after the procedure and those are the hairs that are long now (said another way, the new donor hair wouldn't have filled in to 2-3 inches already in length). So, I think you're point 2 is not the case here (good thinking though because that definitely could have been happening had the existing hairs been varying in length).

@Der3k7 please try to stay positive on this thread for now - I'm still somewhat hopeful. I'll let you rain on my parade once a proper conclusion can be made haha!

29 minutes ago, HisHairness said:

Thanks gents.

@Sam818 - I appreciate you sending that example. Definitely could be the case that I'm just a slow grower and my hair is certainly fine which might be a factor here. I will say that I do feel stubble continuing to come through on the crown which gives me hope that it's just a bit delayed. The hairline less so - I feel some stubble on the *literal* hairline, but then for the 1-3 inches beyond that, there's hardly the feeling of new stubble as I run my fingers over my scalp. Tough to describe the exact feeling but hopefully this captures what I'm trying to convey.

@CosmoKramer - thanks as well. One thing that I should point out is that my hair right now is all the same shaggy length. In other words, my natives started growing right after the procedure and those are the hairs that are long now (said another way, the new donor hair wouldn't have filled in to 2-3 inches already in length). So, I think you're point 2 is not the case here (good thinking though because that definitely could have been happening had the existing hairs been varying in length).

@Der3k7 please try to stay positive on this thread for now - I'm still somewhat hopeful. I'll let you rain on my parade once a proper conclusion can be made haha!

I was just about to post what you did. It might be difficult to see the newer hairs coming in when your existing is very long as it is. I wouldnt lose hope yet. Hold out til month 9-10. I'd def reach out to your doctor and get their input as well but you are correct- they'll likely just tell you to wait.

Hows your scalp health? Make sure to keep it in order if theres any issues like flaking or itching

Hey @HisHairness thanks for keeping us updated. I know from personal experience that it can be hard to find the motivation to update when the progress is slower than hoped.

I think the first thing to say is you look good. You've parted the hair and presented it in the harshest light and there it doesn't look too great, but it's only half way (if that) and in softer lights your hair is decent.

I wanted to ask you, you've had grafts implanted on the hairline, right at the front I think. Can you see fine baby hairs there? Or not so much? I have a 5x magnifying mirror which I use in front of the window at home and with this setup I can see some implanted hairs sprouting. If you're only looking at iPhone pics/under artificial light it might be hard to make these hairs out...

Although the patient is “always right”, I don’t think this is a totally fair representation of your results at the moment. half (or even more) of the pictures you posted are with wet/damp hair and you separated the hair under bathroom light... of course it’s not going to look great. but the pictures with dry/semi styled hair, it looks right on track

Edit: not to mention, the grafts that were placed are not an absurd amount.

1) 2544 grafts (~4847 hairs) into front third Day 1 - 2500 grafts isnt a crazy amount compared to other numbers I've seen H&W pack into the front 1/3

2) 2355 grafts (~4776 hairs) into crown Day 2 -  we all know the crown takes much much longer to produce results 

Edited by hairlossPA

11 hours ago, HTHope said:

I was just about to post what you did. It might be difficult to see the newer hairs coming in when your existing is very long as it is. I wouldnt lose hope yet. Hold out til month 9-10. I'd def reach out to your doctor and get their input as well but you are correct- they'll likely just tell you to wait.

Hows your scalp health? Make sure to keep it in order if theres any issues like flaking or itching

@HTHope thanks sir. Yes - it definitely makes it a bit more difficult to see newer hairs coming in with my existing hair in the area. 

RE: scalp health. I had some really bad dandruff through ~month 3 of recovery, but things are now back to a normal healthy level. No itching or flaking.

6 hours ago, 83mjs said:

Hey @HisHairness thanks for keeping us updated. I know from personal experience that it can be hard to find the motivation to update when the progress is slower than hoped.

I think the first thing to say is you look good. You've parted the hair and presented it in the harshest light and there it doesn't look too great, but it's only half way (if that) and in softer lights your hair is decent.

I wanted to ask you, you've had grafts implanted on the hairline, right at the front I think. Can you see fine baby hairs there? Or not so much? I have a 5x magnifying mirror which I use in front of the window at home and with this setup I can see some implanted hairs sprouting. If you're only looking at iPhone pics/under artificial light it might be hard to make these hairs out...

Thanks @83mjs

You are definitely right that some of these pics are under super harsh light, which may be unfair. If you go back to my pre-op pics, you'll see that I still very much had an illusion of full coverage under normal light, so I guess I've just been trying to see improvement primarily in harsh light because that's where my pre-op weakness was.  It's a fair point though - maybe I'm being too harsh of a critic at the moment. Still some months to go of growth...

Re: the hairline. It's a bit diffuclt to tell to be honest. I can feel some little stubs *right on the hairline*, but anything slightly further back i feel nothing. Further, my frontal third has all grown out and there are no hairs that are shorter (like a cm or so) that reflect the new hairs growing in. I just haven't had any growth there. Maybe I'll look into the magnifying mirror option because it would definitely boost my confidence if I could see some implanted hairs coming through - agreed that the iPhone doens't do the exact situation justice.

6 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

Although the patient is “always right”, I don’t think this is a totally fair representation of your results at the moment. half (or even more) of the pictures you posted are with wet/damp hair and you separated the hair under bathroom light... of course it’s not going to look great. but the pictures with dry/semi styled hair, it looks right on track

Edit: not to mention, the grafts that were placed are not an absurd amount.

1) 2544 grafts (~4847 hairs) into front third Day 1 - 2500 grafts isnt a crazy amount compared to other numbers I've seen H&W pack into the front 1/3

2) 2355 grafts (~4776 hairs) into crown Day 2 -  we all know the crown takes much much longer to produce results 

Thanks @hairlossPA.

I've just been trying to be somewhat consistent with my pictures, that's all. IF you go back to my pre-op pics those were taken in fairly harsh bathroom light as well with parts of my hair purposefully spread out. The pictures I have now with dry/semi styled hair look the same / slightly worse than my pre-op is all I'm getting at. I started from a decent spot so maybe this is a bit tougher to depict, but let me know if that makes sense?

RE: the graft counts, I don't disagree with your assessment that these aren't crazy high numbers. However, I also wasn't slick bald in these areas and I was told by H&W that these were the graft counts that would result in marketable improvement from my status quo, which as yet to come to fruitiion. Let me know if that makes sense or if you still have other thoughts - thanks!

• Like 2

• Administrators

I think the results so far are good, you’re not done growing. I feel the hairs haven’t matured yet. Thickness of hair follicles matter just as much if not more than density.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

After on the left and before on the right. It's tiny improvement so far but not what you'd expect at 6 months for a good result in my opinion based off experience seeing results from hair transplants

49DB99FD-D8CD-4A1E-8079-8A8537323048.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Nearsevn said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but am in the same shoes as you except I am 8 months in with very little  growth from the 4000 grafts dr Hasson implanted into my 1/3 of the Sçalp with no crown work. Am devastated just thinking about all the donor hair I lost :(

Wow interesting to see 2 ppl experiencing bad results from hasson after everyone saying he's so great and I was just about decided on him. This same thing happened to me right before my Erdogan procedure and so many of my 5000 grafts got wasted too. 6 months is a good indicator if you're going to get results. Patients that get results always look significantly better at 6 months.

Edited by Der3k7