Question for long term finasteride users - MPB Evolution with Finasteride

Struggle

Are there some long term finasteride users on this forum?

If so, can you tell me how your hair loss evolved during years? Would you think you would have been bald without?

Thank you!

I started on Finasteride in 1999, at the age of 22 (no side effects to this day, BTW). I was thinning some in the crown area and the hairline was sliding back a bit. It's definitely helped me keep what I've got, though I do think in the last few years both the crown and hairline have lost a *slight* bit of ground. And yes, I'm positive that I would have been at least a Norwood V (or worse) by now without it, as both my dad and older brother (and other relatives on both sides of my family) are firmly in Norwood VI-VII territory.

Edited by Damifino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Damifino said:

I started on Finasteride in 1999, at the age of 22 (no side effects to this day, BTW). I was thinning some in the crown area and the hairline was sliding back a bit. It's definitely helped me keep what I've got, though I do think in the last few years both the crown and hairline have lost a *slight* bit of ground. And yes, I'm positive that I would have been at least a Norwood V (or worse) by now without it, as both my dad and older brother (and other relatives on both sides of my family) are firmly in Norwood VI-VII territory.

What Norwood are you now?

7 hours ago, HTHope said:

What Norwood are you now?

Somewhere between a II and III. 

Using Finasteride, and catching my hair loss young, has definitely been a game changer for me. 

Edited by Damifino

9 hours ago, Damifino said:

Thanks, this is exactly what I want to hear! Hope also other people can share their experience

Like Damifino, I started using Propecia in 1999. Never experienced side effects other than hair retention.  I honestly believe I would not have what I have today had it not been for both, the combination of transplants and medical therapy. My belief and approach has never wavered.  There is more testosterone with the meds than without so I''ll perform better.  

My grandfather and other family members are class 20. I've remained a 5 but with hair.

• Like 2

Oh, forgot to mention in case it helps, I've used Minoxidil only sporadically over the years. Sometimes I'll get on a kick where I'll use it religiously for a few months, then see that it just isn't doing much, then fall off the wagon. Long-term, I just don't think it does much to help, but that's just me.

And I haven't really used any other treatments to speak of.

All that to say, I attribute my keeping my hair intact long-term to Finasteride, and nothing else.

Edited by Damifino
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Like Damifino, I started using Propecia in 1999. Never experienced side effects other than hair retention.  I honestly believe I would not have what I have today had it not been for both, the combination of transplants and medical therapy. My belief and approach has never wavered.  There is more testosterone with the meds than without so I''ll perform better.  

My grandfather and other family members are class 20. I've remained a 5 but with hair.

Are you on anything else @LaserCap?

11 hours ago, Damifino said:

Somewhere between a II and III. 

Using Finasteride, and catching my hair loss young, has definitely been a game changer for me. 

Thats awesome. So your hairline remained at the level or was the recent loss significant to bump you up a norwood? Do you use nizoral shampoo?

Hairline has pretty much stayed put, a little higher than I’d like but still generally solid with slight “divots” at the corners. I have enough hair left to hide those divots pretty well. Seems like I’ve seen a bit more scalp on the crown lately, but I still have enough hair there to do concealers (Dermmatch mostly, if I decide to use it that day). I’ve tried Nizoral a time or 2 before, but my hair is naturally wavy/dry anyway, so that really dried it out. 

On 5/11/2020 at 4:41 PM, LaserCap said:

You don’t count, you have had surgery, how could it be possible to judge what you have held onto? 

deffo slowed down my loss, recently switched to dut as feel crown getting thinner, I think Propecia deffo has a time limit then your body gets used to it 

Edited by TheRealist

15 minutes ago, TheRealist said:

You don’t count, you have had surgery, how could it be possible to judge what you have held onto? 

Never had any transplants in the crown.  That's all meds.

16 minutes ago, LaserCap said:

Never had any transplants in the crown.  That's all meds.

That’s good to hear, I’ve never seen a great transplant in the crown, you done the right thing holding off there, I personally think 1mg has its limits after around 5-10 years

I've seen plenty of cases of patients stopping the meds after 10+ years of use only to see all they retained slowly leave the building.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding out there with regards to what the medication is intended to do.  The confusion is further enhanced by the fact most do not understand hair loss.  Not only that, people want to see a visual change.  If it looks like you have more, the med is working.  If you see no visual change, the med is doing nothing.

The med is not intended to regrow anything. Nothing out there regrows hair except for a hair transplant.