Jump to content

Can you test out a small FUT to see if you scar badly?


Recommended Posts

1. Do previous FUT scars indicate what future FUT scars will look like?

2. Can you test this by doing a small FUT strip, such that it wouldn't look that bad even you were a bad healer?

3. Has anyone ever done this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

1. Do previous FUT scars indicate what future FUT scars will look like?

2. Can you test this by doing a small FUT strip, such that it wouldn't look that bad even you were a bad healer?

3. Has anyone ever done this?

If you go to a top clinic, you don't have to worry about about scarring unless you are an outlier and have especially poor genes for scarring but this will be such a low % of the population. Mine is a pencil line. Where are you considering?

In theory, you could yes. However, your scalp will no longer be virgin and I do not think this small insight outweighs the benefit of working on a virgin scalp. 

All else being equal, yes it should be an indicator. i.e. if you go to the same clinic and have a similar sized or smaller procedure as the first time, then yes. Different clinic etc. maybe but not as clear cut as there are other factors at play.

Feller and Bloxham have a video on their website of work they did on a black patient. They did several small FUTs essentially cut from different parts of the scalp. The result was good. I suppose this is the nearest thing I have seen to what you are suggesting. The patient was a special case though. As I said, if you go to a decent clinic then you will have no issues with the scar. Again, where are you considering?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

If you go to a top clinic, you don't have to worry about about scarring unless you are an outlier and have especially poor genes for scarring but this will be such a low % of the population. Mine is a pencil line. Where are you considering?

In theory, you could yes. However, your scalp will no longer be virgin and I do not think this small insight outweighs the benefit of working on a virgin scalp. 

All else being equal, yes it should be an indicator. i.e. if you go to the same clinic and have a similar sized or smaller procedure as the first time, then yes. Different clinic etc. maybe but not as clear cut as there are other factors at play.

Feller and Bloxham have a video on their website of work they did on a black patient. They did several small FUTs essentially cut from different parts of the scalp. The result was good. I suppose this is the nearest thing I have seen to what you are suggesting. The patient was a special case though. As I said, if you go to a decent clinic then you will have no issues with the scar. Again, where are you considering?

I'm considering anyone who can give me the best result. Having poor genes for scarring is what I'm worried about. I'm sure every amazing doctor has cases like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2020 at 3:23 AM, giegnosiganoe said:

I'm considering anyone who can give me the best result. Having poor genes for scarring is what I'm worried about. I'm sure every amazing doctor has cases like this.

Is there any evidence to suggest you have poor genes for scarring? Do you have scars elsewhere on your body that haven't healed well?

Going to a top clinic will limit the risk of getting a bad scar. Depending on where in the world you are based, or where you are willing to travel to, we can give you recommendations. Having in-person consultations then would be the best way forward.

Edited by TrixGlendevon
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Is there any evidence to suggest you have poor genes for scarring? Do you have scars elsewhere on your body that haven't healed well?

Going to a top clinic will limit the risk of getting a bad scar. Depending on where in the world you are based, or where you are willing to travel to, we can give you recommendations. Having in-person consultations then would be the best way forward.

No evidence, but I'm always afraid of the chance. There are a wide range of scars just from this forum that I wouldn't be too happy with. That's why I wonder if doing a small FUT, like an inch or two long as a test, would make sense.

I'm based in the US. I know there are many doctors who are skilled at FUT here but I'm sure they have a fair number of patients who have less than ideal scars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Scarring is heavily dependent on three things. Surgical skill, how you treat the scar post-operatively, and how well you scar physiologically. The first two you can control to an extent, but the third is unknown. Some surgeons like Dr. Bloxham and Dr. Lindsey perform something called mFUE, it is essentially a small circular strip that they suture up afterward. You may want to consult with them and see what they say about performing a small sample mFUE.

 

  • Like 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...