agassi99

FUT, FUE or no HT (in my case)?

This guy, for example, does not have a great donor or hair characteristics and he went to a top clinic and got a great result with far fewer grafts:

There is actually another case I was looking for which highlights my point even better but I can't find it - I find the search feature on this site clumsy. Hattingen and H&W can deliver in cases like these and there are numerous cases on this forum and others to prove it.

35 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

This guy, for example, does not have a great donor or hair characteristics and he went to a top clinic and got a great result with far fewer grafts:

There is actually another case I was looking for which highlights my point even better but I can't find it - I find the search feature on this site clumsy. Hattingen and H&W can deliver in cases like these and there are numerous cases on this forum and others to prove it.

While his hair is straight, it's definitely on the thicker side. Also, keep in mind his crown is bare. That's a great case, and it's what a NW5 should aspire too, but I would still say most NW6/7 guys would not achieve these results with the same number of grafts. @gbhscot is a great example of what a fine hair guy would expect from 4K grafts. 

Here is another great example for OP, this guy has similar hair characteristics and balding pattern, I feel this is a more realistic view of what can be expected with fine hair.

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Posted (edited)

The amount of hair you have throughout the balding area is equivalent to something like 3000 grafts spread across 200cm2.  You will need a bout 2.5-3 times this to have full coverage.

I certainly think the back of the donor looks decent and think you should go with a more cautious approach of say 2500 in the front half of your head.

All existing hairs appear weak and may not survive the surgical process.  Even if they don't they will eventually fall to MPB.

The 2500 can start dense and then fade towards the crown.

If it all turns out well then you can go back for another 2000 or so to fill in the rest, and/or make a few adjustments.

5000 in one go is just too risky.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

My results thread from 1st procedure.

Many surgeons will tell us that when you bring the numbers way up in grafted density, the yields tend to go down...this is related to the higher number of recipient incisions raising the level of trauma within the recipient area.

I am also an advocate of doing medium sessions and having subsequent procedures to achieve the higher density levels.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

On 5/9/2020 at 5:27 AM, agassi99 said:

What do you guys think?

I´d go for only one FUT and try and get as many grafts out of the area, I was told up to 5000 - 5200+ would be possible. That would leave a small amount for FUE touch up, e.g. on the scar in later years.

I'd be stunned if any reputable, ethical doctor told you that you could get 5K+ grafts in one sitting from an FUT strip surgery. That's highly unlikely even with someone with an excellent donor. You're probably looking looking at possibly 3k grafts for a frontal zone restoration from an FUT mega-session. Just my opinion but definitely more realistic based on the tons of cases I've seen and my own HT experience.