Shots before stitches taken out?

My husband is on day 4 of his FUT in the crown. He had his first one 16 months ago for the hairline back. It looks pretty good, but he really wanted his crown done too, and I think it will look much better.

Last time it hurt like heck having the stitches taken out. They really hurt more this time and they want them in for 14 days. We discussed if it’s so painful, why he can’t get some type of shot beforehand to numb it? Of course, the issue with this is the doc is not there taking out the stitches, and who knows if a nurse will be around. If no shots can be administered , is there some kind of topical numbing cream that anyone has used for this?

Edited by Helper

I've gone through this same thing. Having my hairline first and then crown, both FUT. I'd recommend using Lidocaine to cover where the stitches are to keep the area moist and also pain free. He's fortunate he didn't have to have staples like I did, those things are really uncomfortable.

Why staples? I’ve been using neosporin every night, as will help ward off infections. Maybe some lanocaine before the stitches are out? Seems they would just do something for everyone.

I had staples for both of my FUT surgeries and I felt like Frankenstein until they came out.  It wasn't nice trying to sleep on them and I counted the days until I could get them out.  I actually took them out myself the first time with a tool I was given.  That was not fun.  I tried to do the same after my second FUT surgery but I think my scalp was tighter and it was really hard to get under the staples so I went in and had my general practitioner doc take them out.  Better choice.  Still stung a bit but no big deal.  The doc said he had never seen such a minimal scar, which was nice.  That is pretty par for the course for my HT doctor (Konior). 

• Administrators

You've been given some great advice.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 5/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, Helper said:

My husband is on day 4 of his FUT in the crown. He had his first one 16 months ago for the hairline back. It looks pretty good, but he really wanted his crown done too, and I think it will look much better.

Last time it hurt like heck having the stitches taken out. They really hurt more this time and they want them in for 14 days. We discussed if it’s so painful, why he can’t get some type of shot beforehand to numb it? Of course, the issue with this is the doc is not there taking out the stitches, and who knows if a nurse will be around. If no shots can be administered , is there some kind of topical numbing cream that anyone has used for this?

There are topical sprays that can be used to help numb the area....if the sutures are thread, then simply spraying the area with water or saline and letting the area moisten up for 10 minutes should help the thread to pull through more easily and minimize any discomfort.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

This is interesting. I always had stitches and they never hurt being taken out. It actually felt so good having them removed and no longer pulling on my skin and hair while they were in for the 10 to 14 days.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Having stitches removed always was painless for me...almost a tickling sensation...however having staples removed was one of the worst things I have experienced!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY