Newbie Returning for Advice

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is well during, especially during this difficult and challenging time. 

This is my second post following an initial query back at the end of 2012 regarding getting an FUE procedure done. I plan to get married in a year's time so wanted to get a procedure done this year ahead of my wedding so I can be truly happy with the pictures etc. 

I am a complete newbie when it comes to this area, so was hoping you could all point me in the direction of the best surgeons and treatment for my specific requirement. I have had two consultations with Dr Raghu Reddy in London so I have an idea on cost and the treatment but wanted to get recommendations from others who have had similar treatment as me and had good experiences. 

I have attached some pictures. The main work I am looking for is at the front to create a natural hairline. I have always had a gap in the center of my hairline which meant it looked unnatural. In the past 4 years the front of my hairline has started to recede slightly, but that could be due to the fact I was using a lot of hairproducts (wax, spray) and also living in Dubai where the water quality holds a lot of Chlorine (which I am told is bad for thinning out hair). Outside of that my hair is thick and we do not have a history of hairloss in the family. My hairline however has always been high on my forehead so I would be looking for doctors who specialize in this area.

Any advice or recommendations you can make are really appreciated.

Thanks and stay safe, 

Tom

96086248_272639827111129_6233470003018989568_n.jpg

96086895_664970837565405_3225549803987402752_n.jpg

96091830_283982209285746_4143552162464530432_n.jpg

96103238_251834442535595_571204124649979904_n.jpg

96142011_2596289087358132_3491604117233598464_n.jpg

96239620_550759542302159_7961881717579448320_n.jpg

96758955_530800661131555_4837274013099098112_n.jpg

looks like you have a good head of hair besides the hairline. assuming you are based in the UK? are you willing to travel? what was Dr. Reddy's initial # of grafts to fulfill your request? my guess would be 2000 grafts

it all comes down to personal preference and weighing pros and cons of everything (location, patient results, price, style, etc...)

when is your wedding? you will also need to take into account clinics closing for COVID-19 depending where you go. normally you will want 12 months for the full results to come in. I am sort of in a similar situation, getting married next year and wondering if I should pull the trigger

Edited by hairlossPA

Hi, thanks for the feedback, in response to your points:

- happy to travel to the UK, in fact the plan was to have it done in the UK as I travel 6-8 times a year home anyway.
- I don't recall Dr Reddy's initial suggestion, but the cost was between £10k to £15k
- Preferences wise, I am happy to invest and travel if it makes sense and the doctor has the experience/knowledge to do the best job possible. 
- The wedding has just been moved from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022 due to the COVID-19 issue and asking people to travel right now is an issue. Hence me now having the time to do it and having at least 12 month to see results.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

If you initially inquired about hair surgery back in 2012 then the first thing I have to say is you've held out remarkably well over the past 8 years.

I would say about 2000-2500 grafts would restore your hairline, fill in your temple areas and maybe a slight re-pointing of your temple points too.

If you are based in Dubai then you could even consider a direct flight to Chandigarh where I had mine done.

I can put you through to many past UK patients who I'm sure would be happy to assist you in your research.

I think apart from the hairline you look good. Are you fixed on FUE or would you do FUT? Do not go in the UK - you can either get an AMAZING hair transplant on the Continent for the same price (probably cheaper actually) or you can get an equally as mediocre one for a lot cheaper. 

Edited by TrixGlendevon

@twruk why are limiting your options to the UK? If you read opinions in this forum you will find that people say the UK has only 1 decent doctor who is indeed Dr. Reddy but that for a cheaper price you go to a Doctor that gets better results.

You seem to have very thin hair and need to find a Doctor that knows how to dense pack your front and eventually be prepared for miniaturized hairs.

@Rolandas has smiliar hair consistency (maybe thinner) so I reccomend you to read his hair transplant thread on his experience with Dr. Bruno Ferreira in Porto/Portugal that charges 2.5€/graft.

Other great option would be Dr. Ximena Villa (2.5€/graft) in Madrid.

Dr. Ximena worked with Dr. Lorenzo a FUE Icon for many years before opening her clinic and has many patients posting their great results on the spanish forum recuperartupelo

Dr. Bruno took over Dr. Ximena at Dr. Lorenzo`s clinic but he also operates at his clinic in Porto at half the price.

I believe any of these two options will give you a better result at a much better price.

Edited by Portugal25

5 hours ago, det9925 said:

Wat about Harris Hair Transplant, Seen some pretty good results from them, They are located in the UK

Never heard of them. I'd say avoid. There is basically no good clinic in the UK. Reddy is ok but overpriced. 

If it were me, I would not do anything right now especially if your wedding date is that close from now...please let me explain.

IMHO your hairline does not look that bad yet your concern is having your hairline lowered and filled in, correct?

Since that area is barren of hair, it will take several sessions for the barren area to build enough density for it to look natural...although there is a gap in your present hairline, there is still good density in what you currently have...this is why it will take more grafts to make the visual transition look more natural and aesthetically pleasing.

And remember, when grafting a new hairline placement, single hair grafts must be used...it will take a very large number of grafts to accomplish this or it will not look natural.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

18 hours ago, gillenator said:

If it were me, I would not do anything right now especially if your wedding date is that close from now...please let me explain.

IMHO your hairline does not look that bad yet your concern is having your hairline lowered and filled in, correct?

Since that area is barren of hair, it will take several sessions for the barren area to build enough density for it to look natural...although there is a gap in your present hairline, there is still good density in what you currently have...this is why it will take more grafts to make the visual transition look more natural and aesthetically pleasing.

And remember, when grafting a new hairline placement, single hair grafts must be used...it will take a very large number of grafts to accomplish this or it will not look natural.

Perhaps..... Overall I disagree though. We don't know by how much he wants it lowering and to be honest, I don't think it will require several sessions to do it. He can just go to a clinic that does megasessions anyway if it really will require a lot of grafts, which I am not convinced it will. He does need to choose wisely and get it right first time given that the wedding is a year away though.

15 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Perhaps..... Overall I disagree though. We don't know by how much he wants it lowering and to be honest, I don't think it will require several sessions to do it. He can just go to a clinic that does megasessions anyway if it really will require a lot of grafts, which I am not convinced it will. He does need to choose wisely and get it right first time given that the wedding is a year away though.

Hi everyone, 

Thank you to everyone who has posted feedback, I really appreciate it.

My wedding is now 21 months away so I assume I have more than enough time to get this done.

With regard to the front, I am actually really just looking to have the gap in the center front filled in so it is more natural looking. I am not looking for it to come down too much but just have the temple hairline straightened up and rounded (rather than jagged with the gap). 

I am no hair expect, but I believe a lot of the initial hair loss I have seen at the front is due to hair mismanagement (overuse of dax wax, hairspray, excessive use of straighteners when I was younger and also the chlorine content here in Dubai) - As such I hope it will not recede much further if I look after it better (shower water filters, less hair product etc).

From my initial research some years ago Dr Reddy was advised as the best in the UK for FUE. I have got my heart set on FUE to be honest. Money wise I am happy to pay the money given how long I have been pondering this and how important it is to me. However, I am open to travelling elsewhere and will look into some of the suggestions above.

Thanks again,

Tom

On 5/8/2020 at 2:28 PM, gillenator said:

Hi gillenator,

are you stating that if he gets the hairline filled in where there is no hair, it will still need another pass for acceptable density? Isn't the hairline usually dense packed at around 40-50 grafts/cm to create a dense look? Maybe I'm misinformed

Even if the barren area is grafted at 40-50 FU, chances are it still won't be visually compatible with the dense hair mass he currently has.

IMHO, most if not 100% of patients having to start from a barren surface will need several procedures to achieve any level of aesthetic appeal.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Valued Contributor

Hey twruk,

I can totally understand wanting to have this done so that on your wedding day your hair will look at it's best for yourself. I would think and feel exactly the same. However I would ultimately go by the plan of the surgeon that you end up choosing. Please don't feel rushed to have a hair transplant in time for the wedding. You've waited for 8 years patiently and as a result you haven't screwed up your results with a bad hair transplant, scars, etc. You also look fairly young so remember the plan has to be for your entire lifespan. Have you tried finasteride and/or minoxidil consistently over a recommended amount of time (assuming you can tolerate these drugs)?. I would look at stabilizing your MPB and go from there. Definitely do your research and don't limit yourself to one place to have a hair transplant (ie the UK, etc). An extra day or two flying is nothing for something that will change your appearance for the rest of your life. And congratulations on your engagement!!!!!!!

Stabilizing one's hair loss, medicinally speaking, is always highly recommended before having any procedure.

I think we all can recall several guys who had an upcoming wedding on the horizon, felt rushed to get a HT procedure done and ended up going to the wrong clinic or having a mega-session done and then having a disappointed result.

Gillenator

• 7 months later...

Hi Everyone, some great feedback here and really appreciated. I am still trying to get an appointment with Dr Reddy, however I was advised he has left the private clinic, does anyone know where he relocated to and how one can get a consultation? The private clinic kept pushing back over the course of Q3/Q4 2020 so I was unable to get a virtual consultation. I am hoping to follow up this year. Many thanks, Tom

He must have a website or Facebook account?

Gillenator