Once the hair graft anchors to the scalp, is the hair guaranteed to grow?

27 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

In theory, if all grafts survive, they grow just as any other hair would on your scalp.

I think this answers my question. Thanks again, Melvin.

if I could ask a follow-up question: since the surviving grafts, in theory, will grow just as your native hair grows, then why do hair transplant surgeons recommend that patients quit smoking indefinitely? will smoking adversely impact the hair grafts, even after the grafts survive? in other words, why can’t a hair transplant patient resume smoking, at about one-month post-op, once the grafts have survived?

• Moderators
9 hours ago, bsmit said:

since the surviving grafts, in theory, will grow just as your native hair grows, then why do hair transplant surgeons recommend that patients quit smoking indefinitely? will smoking adversely impact the hair grafts, even after the grafts survive? in other words, why can’t a hair transplant patient resume smoking, at about one-month post-op, once the grafts have survived?

Smoking can narrow your blood vessels. When you have a hair transplant the blood supply and flow needs to reattach to the transplanted grafts, so in theory there is a possibility of not getting optimal growth if you start smoking too soon after the hair transplant, but everyone's body reacts differently to things. Some people smoke and get great results from their transplant. Nobody can tell you how your body will react to these things. Why take the chance. It's like any medication. There are long lists of side effects that can happen. Some people will get a lot of the side effects and very severely while others will hardly get any side effects at all. You just don't know how your body will react before hand.

With that said, smoking is bad for your health overall and I think any Dr would be telling their patients to quit. If you want to quit smoking then wanting to get the best results from the hair transplant might be a very good motivator to stop especially since you are spending a lot of money for the hair transplant. Besides, quitting smoking will save you a lot of money since you won't have to buy cigarettes, so you'll have all that hair transplant money back in no time.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

21 hours ago, BeHappy said:

so in theory there is a possibility of not getting optimal growth if you start smoking too soon after the hair transplant

is this statement still true if all the grafts have anchored and the hair follicles have survived?

if smoking can inhibit the grafts from reaching optimal growth, will the grafts reach optimal growth once you quit smoking? or will the grafts be permanently stunted. 

thanks for the input!

Edited by bsmit
clarity