Question for long term Finasteride users

Nounours

Hi everyone,

I have a question for long-term finasteride users (1 year + on the drug).

When did you start seeing results and how would you characterize your results (hair stayed the same? hair regrowth? if you experienced hair regrowth, in which areas?)?

I'm curious as I've experienced rather rapid hair loss over the last 3 years, with most of my hair loss happening in long shedding periods. I was wondering if I can expect to see my hair return to the stage it was say a year ago, after a year of continuous finasteride + minoxidil usage?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi mate,

I’ve been taking fin+ minoxidil for almost 3 years.

When I was looking in the mirror daily, I didn’t notice anything and it’s only now when I look at photos a few years ago, I realize that my hair definitely looked a little thinner. I think it basically thickened up what I had and it definitely felt like it at least slowed down the hair loss as I didn’t notice many hairs on my hands after styling, showering etc. I’d say it maybe took a good 9 months to notice and people who hasn’t seen me for a while, asked me if I dyed my hair as it’s darker.

However I tried both of these out before I decided to take the hair transplant route. I’m now almost 4 months post op

Hope this helps

I've been on finasteride for almost 2 years.

I experienced immediate regrowth in areas which were extremely thin, and then the hair shed again, and then it started to grow again. Each phase spanning almost 6 months each.

• Administrators

@Spanker has been on finasteride for over 10 years, I believe he hasn’t noticed any issues. The goal of medicine is to maintain your hair, rarely does it grow back hair, and if it does not in a significant amount. That’s what surgery is for. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes,  10 years and I've held the line well so far and no sides I know of really.  

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 5/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Spanker has been on finasteride for over 10 years, I believe he hasn’t noticed any issues. The goal of medicine is to maintain your hair, rarely does it grow back hair, and if it does not in a significant amount. That’s what surgery is for. 

Are you spanker’s spokesman?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TheRealist said:

Are you spanker’s spokesman?

No, are you trying to be sarcastic? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TheRealist said:

Just wondered why you didn’t state your history of use with Propecia? Instead or referring to another member?

Because I don't take Propecia, and this long-time member has been very open about his long-term finasteride usage. Therefore, he would be the best person to answer this question.

View my thread

48 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Because I don't take Propecia, and this long-time member has been very open about his long-term finasteride usage. Therefore, he would be the best person to answer this question.

Not really, he states he’s been on it for 10 years, many here including myself have been on it over 20 years, very judgemental, but as you were 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, TheRealist said:

Not really, he states he’s been on it for 10 years, many here including myself have been on it over 20 years, very judgemental, but as you were 

👌🏼 

View my thread

I've been on Finasteride since 1999, I was 22 at the time. My crown was starting to thin a little bit, and the hairline was starting to slide back. It was a long time ago and I didn't document my journey very well, but I recall that it essentially stopped my hair loss in its tracks and I was able to grow back a little, primarily in the crown. It didn't completely restore what I had lost though. Since then, I really haven't noticed my hair loss advance much past that stage at all, and I'd say I'm probably classified as a Norwood II with some slight/moderate crown thinning.

Oh, and no side effects whatsoever the entire time I've taken Finasteride.

Edited by Damifino

On 5/5/2020 at 2:43 PM, Nounours said:

Hi everyone,

I have a question for long-term finasteride users (1 year + on the drug).

When did you start seeing results and how would you characterize your results (hair stayed the same? hair regrowth? if you experienced hair regrowth, in which areas?)?

I'm curious as I've experienced rather rapid hair loss over the last 3 years, with most of my hair loss happening in long shedding periods. I was wondering if I can expect to see my hair return to the stage it was say a year ago, after a year of continuous finasteride + minoxidil usage?

Thank you!

I have been taking Finax for a long time now  I initially noticed the results within 6 months. The loss of hair drastically stopped and I started to see new hair sprouting out on the scalp. Using Minoxidil can be of help too. Finax did give me a good density on my crown and mid scalp where I was thinning.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I’ve been on fin around 7 years. I started to see results around 6 months. I did see a little bit of regrowth. My hair loss is stabilized I haven’t noticed any further loss. 

When the propecia website used to still exist it claimed you MAY start seeing the benefits of the drug as early as 3 months. This was referring more to slowing down shedding and excess loss. However, the actual data from the fda trials showed peak hair counts from 1-2 years on the drug. It’s a slow process. However the 10 year finasteride study made a claim that the first year of treatment would give a good indication of how the drug would work long term for a patient.