Is daily hair washing ok or bad for hair loss?

SammyD

I have heard that daily hair washing is good for getting rid of DHT, but ofcourse that may cause more dry scalp.   Is daily washing bad for hair and can it cause more hair loss?

Perhaps someone will correct me (please do if I'm wrong!) but I think it depends on how your hair responds to daily hair washing. If it makes your hair dry and brittle, then you have an increased chance of what looks like hair falling out due to brittleness. But this doesn't mean that you are losing your hair as your hair is breaking close to the scalp, not coming out at the follicle. However, if it doesn't make your hair dry and brittle, then it shouldn't be a problem. You'll be able to tell by the texture of your hair when it is dry. Any hair that you lose whilst washing your hair would have come out naturally anyway, washing it hasn't caused it to come out (maybe a day or two prematurely at most). I've read other members of this forum saying that they wash their hair everyday without problem. 

As for daily hair washing being good for getting rid of DHT. I can't see how that would work unless your shampoo and conditioner have DHT blocking agents that are absorbed into the scalp.

Hope this makes sense!

• Like 1

I wash daily. I tried to wash ever other day although I found that not washing my hair irritated my scalp, brought on dandruff and was itchy. 

I also tried dry shampoo although this was no help. 
I think it depends on the person. How you have done it your whole life and how oily your hair gets.