Minoxidil worsen Dandruff condition

SammyD

Earlier this year I started to experience itchy scalp which eventually was diagnosed by a Dermatologist as dandruff.  I was then prescribed Ketoconazole 2% and Fluocinonide Topical, which I alternate every other day with normal shampoo, and I also stopped using Minoxidil.   Last week, I restarted Minoxidil (Liquid) and immediately the dandruff came back on and I did noticed more hair loss.   I understand hair shed may happen initialy when starting to use Minoxidil.   However, I do have a couple of questions.

1.  Should I stop using Minoxidil until my dandruff issue clears out?   I plan to use Ketoconazole 2%  and Head/shoulder for the next 2-3 wks to see how it goes but wasn't sure whether I should stop Minoxidil or not.   

2.  Can dandruff cause hair loss?  and does using Minoxidil with Dandruff make hairloss worst?

3.  Any other solution to help get rid of Dandruff?

I am a bit at lost on what to do.  On one hand I want to use Minoxidil to prevent hairloss, but on the other hand I have this dandruff issue that just can't seem to go away and I am afraid the dandruff issue may increase hair loss.  Any thoughts/recommendation here would be helpful.

Hey man

its a common issue and one that’s annoyed me as well. I get lots of dry flakes and dandruff when using Minoxidil and that’s why I only use it once a day.

From my experience, I would say, stick with Minoxidil use it 1x daily and use Nizoral no more than 2x a week and get a good organic hair conditioner and leave it on for 5 minutes to better loosen up the flakes and dandruff so it doesn’t pull off any hairs. Another good option is to purchase an inexpensive scalp massager brush on Amazon and use that in conjunction with the conditioner .

Another tip, I have also started using some Himalayaian pink salt in a prayer bottle with filter water to spray my hair and scalp after shampoo as I feel it prevents my scalp and hair from being dry and brittle, so maybe put a spoonful of pink or sea salt into 8ounce filter water in a spray bottle.

Don’t mess around with minoxidil unless u are going to be committed to it ..  none of that off n on kinda thing .. u end up  worse than u started. Try the foam version , it’s not as harsh on ur scalp because the liquid version has a little bit of alchohol in it for better absorption, so more effective but more side effects ., maybe u could tolerate the liquid later on after ur scalp is used to rogaine on ur head ..  .. so do the foam version first .. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Legend007 said:

Don’t mess around with minoxidil unless u are going to be committed to it ..  none of that off n on kinda thing .. u end up  worse than u started. Try the foam version , it’s not as harsh on ur scalp because the liquid version has a little bit of alchohol in it for better absorption, so more effective but more side effects ., maybe u could tolerate the liquid later on after ur scalp is used to rogaine on ur head ..  .. so do the foam version first .. 

I agree with Legend007 here. Definitely try using the foam version. I tried using the liquid version several times and I had all sorts of problems with flakes and greasiness. Once I switched to foam, no flaking at all. I wish I had gotten on it earlier!

Sure, some people will say that liquid is more effective, but there's no point if it causes crazy flaking. The best version is the one that you can tolerate and see yourself using on a daily basis. 

Curious to know if everyone also experienced lots of hairs falling off onto fingers while applying minoxidil foam.   I hated seeing those fall out that is why I have been using liquid.  Perhaps that is just normal and part of the course?

3 hours ago, SammyD said:

Curious to know if everyone also experienced lots of hairs falling off onto fingers while applying minoxidil foam.   I hated seeing those fall out that is why I have been using liquid.  Perhaps that is just normal and part of the course?

I'm experiencing the hair falling, or perhaps its shedding ,when using minoxidil too but I believe from what I'm reading online that this means the minoxidil is pushing the hair to a new growth cycle. Meaning that its likely any weak brittle hair breaking off and making way, but doesn't mean you lost the follicle. Hopefully someone with more experience than me with minoxidil could vouch for this, I've only been on it for about 4 months, but plan to continue using it at least 1x a day going forward. 

7 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

How did fluocinonide work for you?

It works like wonder.   It instantly eliminate any itching in 1-2 minutes of application.     

11 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Awesome. How is it applied? All over?

Just at the area that you have itches.   So I didn't do all over my head but may be 1/3 of the head.