Some questions about hair systems

Struggle

Hello to everyone, I see hair systems as the ultimate choice for people who are dealing with MPB, if their situation is too compromised for an hair traslpant or medical treatment doesn't work/gives side effects

I'd like to know some informations about them. Excuse me if some questions are stupid:

1)How much they costs in six months?

2)How long can you keep them on your head without reapply them?

3)Can you wash your hair system during a shower?

4)Can you go to the beach/swimming pool with them?

5)If someone runs their hand through your hair, can they notice it's an hair system?

6)Can you DIY by the first application without going to a salon?

7)When hairs on the sides grow, do you go to a barber with you hair system on?

8)How do you deal with the idea that hair systems are not your real hair? 

9)If someone pulls your hairs strongly, does it rip off?

10)Do you tell people/girl that you wear an hair system?

11)Would you prefer an hair trasplant if you could get it?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1) $400 for good quality - depends where you are in the world

2) 2 to 3-weeks

3) yes

4) yes

5) depends

6) yes - I did

7) yes

😎 its a personal matter - but Im very happy and regret not doing it sooner

9) It shouldn't if done correctly.

10) Depends - not unless in long relationship

11) No-risks to a HT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Have you considered SMP?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to be brutally honest with my answers, I wore a hair system for 5 years and it was the most damaging experience I've ever been through. Please don't rush into it, your natural hair will be damaged and ripped out off your scalp during regrooms, which causes baldness itself. 

1)How much they costs in six months?

Around £1,500

2)How long can you keep them on your head without reapply them?

3 weeks max IMHO

3)Can you wash your hair system during a shower?

Yes

4)Can you go to the beach/swimming pool with them?

Yes 

5)If someone runs their hand through your hair, can they notice it's an hair system?

Yes, easily 

6)Can you DIY by the first application without going to a salon?

Don't DIY until you know exactly what you're doing

7)When hairs on the sides grow, do you go to a barber with you hair system on?

I went back to where I had it fitted 

Horrible. Mentally very damaging. I wasn't able to look at myself in the mirror, all I saw was the wig on my head. Every thought I had was about the wig and it became an obsession, I thought anyone looking at me was staring at it and laughing behind my back. Please don't take this decision lightly. 

9)If someone pulls your hairs strongly, does it rip off?

Yes actually but only after about 2/3 weeks of wear. Would be very hard to rip off in the first 2 weeks. 

Yes

11)Would you prefer an hair trasplant if you could get it?

Yes. I've just had a HT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Struggle said:

@Mathew Washington and @grincher excuse me I have another question: what about sweat? Can it be a problem? Can you excercise at the gym, go running and do other activities that make sweating with an hair system? Thank you very much 

Just to touch on this, sweat can be a real issue. It will cause the bond to break down and can get messy. Also, even the best hair systems won't allow all the heat from your scalp to pass through the lace, so it's very easy to overheat. I love spicy food and because the hair system wouldn't allow the sweat and heat to pass beyond my scalp, I would feel like I was going to combust at times. Not nice. 

• Administrators

@Kruchie

Great post, I’ve never worn a system, but I can imagine the feeling. That said, I do wear concealer, and honestly I love it. Is that something you’d consider?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Struggle said:

@Kruchie thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you had a terrible experience. Did you try several hair systems? 

@Struggle Yeah, I tried many different ones. Some felt and looked great, don't get me wrong. As it turns out, nobody around me actually knew I was wearing one, apart from the select few that I told. It was just the mental side to wearing one that I was not prepared for. I think being a hair stylist myself didn't help, I was extra critical of every single strand of hair on the system, I've done custom cut-ins for people and used to cut my own systems too from time to time but mainly had someone else cut mine whilst I was wearing. IF you decide to go ahead and need any advice, I've got a lot of tips I would share with you.

It's a really big mental shift when you start wearing a system and nothing can prepare you for that.

Edited by Kruchie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Kruchie

Great post, I’ve never worn a system, but I can imagine the feeling. That said, I do wear concealer, and honestly I love it. Is that something you’d consider?

@Melvin-Moderator I'm a big advocate for good quality concealer, I always have my little 3g tub with me and my dabber brush. 😆😁

• Like 1

I'm in a not so bad situation because I still have a lot of hair and I need a single transplant, but I'd like to have a plan B in case I have to stop Finasteride/Transplant go wrong for any reason

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, Kruchie said:

Yes, easily 

I agree. I had that happen to me on a date. We were making out on the sofa and she put her hands in my hair and felt the hair system and then stopped and just stared at me. It was extremely embarrassing.

Horrible. Mentally very damaging. I wasn't able to look at myself in the mirror, all I saw was the wig on my head. Every thought I had was about the wig and it became an obsession, I thought anyone looking at me was staring at it and laughing behind my back. Please don't take this decision lightly. 

Right. I felt exactly the same way. I was sick to my stomach anytime someone looked at me and I had to run to the bathroom to look at myself in the mirror to make sure it wasn't noticeable. I felt so old because when I was a kid I thought only 40 something year old or older men wore a hair piece. I was only 20. It was absolutely horrible. I wore one for about 8 months and I will never wear one again.

Yes

If you don't tell a new date she will find out and look at you completely different if she even wants to look at you ever again at all. She will probably be running away as fast as possible. At least that's been my experience.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I agree. I had that happen to me on a date. We were making out on the sofa and she put her hands in my hair and felt the hair system and then stopped and just stared at me. It was extremely embarrassing.

Right. I felt exactly the same way. I was sick to my stomach anytime someone looked at me and I had to run to the bathroom to look at myself in the mirror to make sure it wasn't noticeable. I felt so old because when I was a kid I thought only 40 something year old or older men wore a hair piece. I was only 20. It was absolutely horrible. I wore one for about 8 months and I will never wear one again.

If you don't tell a new date she will find out and look at you completely different if she even wants to look at you ever again at all. She will probably be running away as fast as possible. At least that's been my experience.

@BeHappy thanks for your reply, this side to wearing a system is not spoken about enough and I can't bare to see anymore videos on YT glorifying them. I can't imagine how difficult going through that at 20 must've been, I was 27 and wore one for 5 years and it ruined my mental health in way that I'm still recovering from. It's really hard for me to read comments from those who wear these 'systems', they can look great yes but the price you pay both mentally and physically is not even close to being worth it and I could never wish that mental torture on anyone - let alone recommend someone wear one. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...