Dear all,

In light of all the younger posters on this forum asking for hair loss advice I thought it appropriate to post the following video.

In the video Dr Bhatti explains why 22 years of age is too young for a hair transplant.

In true Dr Bhatti trademark style, many issues that affect younger hair loss sufferers are explained in great detail.

Again I hope you some of you guys learn some valuable lessons from this video.

• Administrators

I agree, when I was 22 I wanted a straight and low hairline, little did I know what awaited me in the future. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

This was a very good video and while I agree with almost everything he says there are a few things that never get discussed. He admits that "effects of hair loss at that age is so huge emotionally, psychologically, physically" and "that is the time when hair loss gives them untold misery." I totally agree with this, but his answer (and I'm not saying anything against Dr Bhatti in particular because it's the standard answer of many hair transplant Drs) is to tell the patient "No" and to come back in a few years and try again. Then a few years later the patient goes back and may be told no again. Nobody ever wants to talk about how this young man is supposed to handle that and get through those years. The Dr telling him that he won't help you after admitting that it's so bad and worse for him than anyone else isn't really helping the patient. The roller coaster ride that Dr Bhatti mentions can happen if the Dr does a hair transplant still happens when the Dr doesn't do the hair transplant. Not doing it gets the Dr off the hook for any future issues because the Dr didn't do the hair transplant, but it doesn't, in my opinion, get the Dr off the hook for not doing anything. I don't know what the answer is, but saying the Dr is right for not helping a patient when the Dr admits that the patient is worse off than most others doesn't sit well with me. Again I want to say that I am not against Dr Bhatti or this video. I'm just trying to bring up some points that never get discussed relating to this. Maybe I should make a new thread about this tomorrow.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, BeHappy said:

This was a very good video and while I agree with almost everything he says there are a few things that never get discussed. He admits that "effects of hair loss at that age is so huge emotionally, psychologically, physically" and "that is the time when hair loss gives them untold misery." I totally agree with this, but his answer (and I'm not saying anything against Dr Bhatti in particular because it's the standard answer of many hair transplant Drs) is to tell the patient "No" and to come back in a few years and try again. Then a few years later the patient goes back and may be told no again. Nobody ever wants to talk about how this young man is supposed to handle that and get through those years. The Dr telling him that he won't help you after admitting that it's so bad and worse for him than anyone else isn't really helping the patient. The roller coaster ride that Dr Bhatti mentions can happen if the Dr does a hair transplant still happens when the Dr doesn't do the hair transplant. Not doing it gets the Dr off the hook for any future issues because the Dr didn't do the hair transplant, but it doesn't, in my opinion, get the Dr off the hook for not doing anything. I don't know what the answer is, but saying the Dr is right for not helping a patient when the Dr admits that the patient is worse off than most others doesn't sit well with me. Again I want to say that I am not against Dr Bhatti or this video. I'm just trying to bring up some points that never get discussed relating to this. Maybe I should make a new thread about this tomorrow.

While I agree with some of what you said, I don't agree that it's simply because it gets the doctor off the hook. I haver personally told young guys who were Norwood 7's and 18 years old to not have a hair transplant. As someone who lost their hair young, I know how devastating it can be, but I think they would be even more devastated if  their hair transplant failed. Typically, these patients become bitter and resentful, and naturally they will blame the doctor.

A health care professional has a duty to look out for the patients best interest, even if it's something the patient doesn't want to hear. Another factor to consider are the expectations, obviously a 20 year old kid who's balding wants to have the head of hair of a 20 year old, they're not gonna be satisfied with a mature hairline, or a balding look. Performing surgery on someone like this is not only unethical, but it sets the individual up for failure. It's a terrible situation, and I wish modern medicine had the answer, but as of today, we're not there yet. However, every decade individuals become more reasonable, and by the time that young teenager turns 30, they may be willing to accept a thin crown, or thinning appearance. That's when they become candidates for surgery, and generally that's when surgeons will know what hair is permanent and what hair isn't.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

No offense but I wonder why Dr. Bhatti never had HT work done on himself, specifically his hairline?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi Behappy,

In my experience the patients are not just told no but they are advised of the pros and cons and they are advised of other areas to look into to help sustain their hair until they reach a suitable age to be reassessed. This is all part of the ethics the clinic practices and I for one will always go that extra yard to ensure the younger ones fully understand and most do and keep in touch for further help and guidance over time. Also patients are not charged anything for this.  I feel we do as much as we possibly can.

Edited by Shera

On 5/1/2020 at 10:16 PM, gillenator said:

No offense but I wonder why Dr. Bhatti never had HT work done on himself, specifically his hairline?

Hi Gill,

In response to your question, Dr Bhatti has actually had 3 separate HT surgeries, 2 FUT surgeries in 2007 and a further FUE surgery in 2013.

He mentions this along with pics in the following video, forward to 1:36.

As for causing offense, I don't think you've ever offended anyone on this forum in all your time here. just offered wise words of wisdom.

Take care and stay safe.

Thanks for responding Shera...I had no idea he had 3 separate procedures.

And thanks for the kind words.....you too have been an advocate to other hair loss sufferers over the years...always there to help and educate others.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY