My Biggest Hair Transplant Regret

• Administrators

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin,

that’s really cool of you to be so candid about your experience. I have to agree, the planning of your first transplant was a bit odd. But at least it looks like you had some good yield and your donor remained in decent shape. Your second surgeon def hit it out of the park with your hairline design, huge difference. Congrats 

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, HTHope said:

Hi Melvin,

that’s really cool of you to be so candid about your experience. I have to agree, the planning of your first transplant was a bit odd. But at least it looks like you had some good yield and your donor remained in decent shape. Your second surgeon def hit it out of the park with your hairline design, huge difference. Congrats 

The yield was decent, not great but adequate. He was ethical at the very least, but had I gone to a better surgeon from the jump, I’d be in a better position now. Live and learn, so glad I found this community- this is where I gained all my knowledge. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I too regret my first hair transplant. I did my research, met multiple doctors in person and chose a doctor with good track record. However, for reasons unknown, my result and yield was bad. Now I have blown off majority of my donor and stuck in a really bad situation. You can do all the precautions necessary and still end up worse!

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, n00b said:

I too regret my first hair transplant. I did my research, met multiple doctors in person and chose a doctor with good track record. However, for reasons unknown, my result and yield was bad. Now I have blown off majority of my donor and stuck in a really bad situation. You can do all the precautions necessary and still end up worse!

Yes, hair transplants are not fail proof, but in my particular case, it wasn't bad luck, it was poor research. I should have gone against my better intuition and walked out as soon as the doctor drew the hairline in the middle of my head. 

View my thread

1 hour ago, n00b said:

what did your clinic end up doing to help? I believe they were trying to work on a solution with you?

I had no idea that your first HT was such poor quality. Now it makes more sense why you are so dedicated to advocacy work in hairloss. You turned a negative experience into a positive one. Congrats on turning that situation around and thanks for all the great work you do on this forum.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, makehairgreatagain said:

Amazing job editing this video and awesome to see my post in there as well! The difference between the 2 is night and day. Is the first "surgeon" still operating to this day?

Yes he is, and he’s recommended by the IAHRS lol. I can’t say anything bad about him personally, as he was a nice person , he just didn’t have the skill unfortunately. 

View my thread

• Administrators
11 hours ago, kirkland said:

I had no idea that your first HT was such poor quality. Now it makes more sense why you are so dedicated to advocacy work in hairloss. You turned a negative experience into a positive one. Congrats on turning that situation around and thanks for all the great work you do on this forum.

A big reason why I stuck around so long after my hair transplant was to give back to the community that gave me so much. That’s why I’m passionate about building this community up, I really think any person interested in having a hair transplant needs to belong to this community.

View my thread

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes he is, and he’s recommended by the IAHRS lol. I can’t say anything bad about him personally, as he was a nice person , he just didn’t have the skill unfortunately. 

If he applies to membership here will you automatically bin his application? haha jk

• Moderators
On 4/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I should have gone against my better intuition and walked out as soon as the doctor drew the hairline in the middle of my head. 

I had an extremely high hairline done at first too, but I was told it would be much lower. Once they started that's when they said they would start in the middle and work their way in both directions, front and back, as they did further transplant sessions. This way I wouldn't end up with a low hairline, but run out of hair before the crown got covered. I was scheduled to have 4 transplants for a full head of hair. It wasn't until the 10th transplant that I finally got my hairline lowered a bit to where it is now and it's still much higher than they drew it on me. They even drew temple points on me which they never did. All a big con game just to get me to do it. They knew there was no way I'd ever get full coverage.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I had an extremely high hairline done at first too, but I was told it would be much lower. Once they started that's when they said they would start in the middle and work their way in both directions, front and back, as they did further transplant sessions. This way I wouldn't end up with a low hairline, but run out of hair before the crown got covered. I was scheduled to have 4 transplants for a full head of hair. It wasn't until the 10th transplant that I finally got my hairline lowered a bit to where it is now and it's still much higher than they drew it on me. They even drew temple points on me which they never did. All a big con game just to get me to do it. They knew there was no way I'd ever get full coverage.

I would really love for you to share your story on the forum some day if you're willing too. I remember you used to have the albums on the profile, and it really had a big impact on me. I can't believe someone would do those things to a 20 year old kid. 

View my thread

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would really love for you to share your story on the forum some day if you're willing too. I remember you used to have the albums on the profile, and it really had a big impact on me. I can't believe someone would do those things to a 20 year old kid. 

I'm waiting for the most recent procedure I had in December to grow out and then I will. I'm not yet at the 5 month mark. I will probably post a new thread sometime in July when I'm past 6 months. I had grafts scattered all over and had some shock loss, so there's been nothing to really show as far as before and after and even when it's grown out since I have such a large area to cover there's not going to be any drastic change that is easily seen in pictures, although I sure hope there is in another few months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.