Examples of SMP into FUE scars and some questions

Hello

Does anybody know of examples where SMP is performed on FUE scars in order for the patient to wear very short hairstyles or to camouflage punch scars?

Also, is there a consensus on how long SMP lasts when done on FUE scars?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

Hi HTHope,

SMP is commonly used to cover FUE and FUT scars after a hair transplant. It's also used to add density on top of the scalp where recipient donor hair grows to give the illusion of greater density. SMP tends to work much better for FUE scars than FUT/Strip scars, although even with FUT scars there still will be a marked improvement from SMP. Everybody is different and some protect their SMP better (by wearing caps in the sun as harsh sunlight can increase the break down of SMP and the liver is also how the SMP breaks down) on average it could be around 2-5 years before a top up is required. On average about three years is close to the money. Just like with looking for a good HT surgeon I would also do your homework on choosing an SMP artist.

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hi HTHope,

SMP is commonly used to cover FUE and FUT scars after a hair transplant. It's also used to add density on top of the scalp where recipient donor hair grows to give the illusion of greater density. SMP tends to work much better for FUE scars than FUT/Strip scars, although even with FUT scars there still will be a marked improvement from SMP. Everybody is different and some protect their SMP better (by wearing caps in the sun as harsh sunlight can increase the break down of SMP and the liver is also how the SMP breaks down) on average it could be around 2-5 years before a top up is required. On average about three years is close to the money. Just like with looking for a good HT surgeon I would also do your homework on choosing an SMP artist.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

• Valued Contributor

No worries at all. I posted a thread about how I basically got butchered at 18 with two punch graft procedures and the resulting surgey to remove the plugs. I then wore a hair piece for 25 years and finally settled on having SMP three years ago. Happy to help from what I've learnt.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:33 PM, Gatsby said:

No worries at all. I posted a thread about how I basically got butchered at 18 with two punch graft procedures and the resulting surgey to remove the plugs. I then wore a hair piece for 25 years and finally settled on having SMP three years ago. Happy to help from what I've learnt.

Are you very happy with your SMP?

• Valued Contributor

I’m very happy with the SMP. The goal though was to also hide the scars on the back of my scalp as well as the scar on my forehead. It is certainly better than before. But I do get a little depressed/self conscious about my scars at times. They obviously look worse to me than anybody else. But yes the SMP I’m very happy with. 

On 5/12/2020 at 4:33 AM, Gatsby said:

Where can we find this thread?