What you wish you knew before getting a hair transplant?

Hi all,

I've been researching hair transplants for over 3 years now and I feel like I am informed enough and ready to pull the trigger - but the one thing nagging at me is - with everything in life - having finally gone through an experience, you always look back with a little more knowledge (this includes buying a new car, negotiating salary at a new job, getting married, having kids, etc.).

This community has an amazing wealth of knowledge that I have been so grateful to learn from! 

To learn even more I'd like to know - what did you learn after taking the plunge OR what did you wish you knew before you got a hair transplant? 

I think this question can really help us noobs make the best informed decision based on what others have learned and experienced (both positive and negative). 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 2

Patience with the healing process and growing. It takes time and more time for some of us. Adequately plan your recovery plan with work and find out if you're able to wear a hat etc. It's awkward but you'll look back and realize it was a small sacrifice to gain confidence and appearance.

I think the key is not to rush into the first one you’ve seen and to really do your research, even by speaking to members on the forum on their individual results with that surgeon. Sometimes you just want it done, but I decided to give the big three a go first (Finasteride, Minoxidil & Nizoral) then if you don’t get the results after a year, then maybe look into booking the transplant

Definitely don't rush into surgery, which was a mistake I made before my first procedure. I was desperate to get a hair transplant, but it failed miserably. I guess the other thing I will add is that results are not guaranteed. While the success rate for the procedure is high with a good doctor, things can still go wrong and you might end up worse off compared to where you started

• Administrators

Great topic, I may start a video about this particular topic.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great topic, I may start a video about this particular topic.

Let me know how I can help - it's amazing how much I've learned the past few years from going to just a random doctor for my first consultation to finding this forum to consulting with the top doctors and previous patients. SO glad I didn't pull the trigger too early and treat this like a regular dental appointment. 

I would have tried topical Finasteride plus my minoxidil + microneedling regime and given it at least six months first. This seems to be working for me. A HT also helped, and I'm glad I did, but perhaps had I tried topical Fin first, I might have needed fewer grafts, or even none at all. 

What treatment regime are you using?

The other thing is to talk to a handful of surgeons and choose the one you feel most comfortable with. 

Edited by Friedman