Body Hair Usage, Some Things You Should Know!

sl

Thanks SL. In my case, I do have good strong chest hair, but a greater abundance of good strong terminal hairs on my abdomen.

My estimate of the survival rates comes from reading a lot of studies on BHT. They all give different percentages of survival, but stomach is usually lower survival rate than chest. As for back hair, Dr. Umar wrote “the author noted a relatively higher
graft transection and trauma rate during extractions of hairs from the back regions of the torso. This is attributed to the fact that the reticular dermal layer in the region is the thickest of all body regions; for this reason, back hairs should be routinely avoided in BHT.”

I have so many of these body hairs, and I hate them, because these days women like a man with a smooth body. I can clip the ones on the front with a clipper, but I have to go to a barber to cut the back hairs, which can be embarrassing. I live in SE Asia, and Asians don't have any upper body hair, so I really look like a monkey to them.

So I figured, well, if I can transplant them to my head, that would be a great solution, and no need to constantly clip or contempate laser hair removal.

But if the survival rate is low, transplanting them is a waste of money.

I'm fascinated that your transected chest hairs grew back. Did the transected hair also grow on your scalp? Were all 300 of your test grafts transected? And how many of them grew back? Seems like someone should investigate this as it might be a way to multiply donor hairs if you can systematize a way to transect them correctly.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 1:02 AM, BeHappy said:

I had lots of thick chest hair, but most of that has already been used in prior body hair FUEs. You can see they shaved my entire chest for this session, but it turned out that there wasn't really much good grafts left to take, so we decided to try going down lower where we hadn't touched yet. The grafts came out easy, so we plan to do another session on the rest of the stomach area in the future.

Interesting that the grafts came out easy. Had your doctor used abdomen hair before or was this his first time? He didn't have any issue with the jelly-like nature of the abdomen making it harder to punch?

I live in SE Asia, and Asians don't have any upper body hair, so I really look like a monkey to them. ..That made me laugh, and yes I am sure it is not the norm for them.

In  my case in essence you are not multiplying,  if you split a double into two singles, and the single stays in the donor and a single grows it is just splitting the unit. Mine was not intentional back then in the day and not working in the industry then I didn't give it much thought other than I noticed them growing back from source and as a laymen could see then that the FU  in my chest had healed to give growth again and through the exact same spot it was punched in. Whatever they pulled out I don't honestly know if they were any good and how many were transplanted.

You are on an interesting concept that is not far from this idea and is a variation on this and is a mouthful to say but it called  "PL-FUT"  or AKA. "Partial longitudinal-follicular unit transplantation". 

Edited by sl

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/16/2020 at 10:27 PM, Pangloss said:

Interesting that the grafts came out easy. Had your doctor used abdomen hair before or was this his first time? He didn't have any issue with the jelly-like nature of the abdomen making it harder to punch?

He was concerned about the jelly-like nature of that area too. I tried to lose a few pounds before the appointment to help the process, but I didn't really lose much. I'll do better with that next round, so we can go lower . I do have some decent upper abs under the layer of fat that show up nicely if I work out and lose a few pounds, so that may have helped.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

How do you determine whether DHT blockers are miniaturizing your body hair?

I only know it happened to me because I took finisteride for 11 years from around 1998 to 2009 and lost a lot of body hair. I stopped taking it around 2009 and my body hair increased greatly over the next few years and is still increasing.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Yes, essentially you will see from looking at before and after starting DHT blockers and over time to see if it diminished in quality or quantity.  You need to see the starting point prior to then see if it has changed and should be evident to the naked eye if there are any significant changes.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

13 hours ago, sl said:

Yes, essentially you will see from looking at before and after starting DHT blockers and over time to see if it diminished in quality or quantity.  You need to see the starting point prior to then see if it has changed and should be evident to the naked eye if there are any significant changes.

From my video, I can see many thinner/lighter hairs. Are those ones in the telogen phase (I think you said it's 50/50 anagen/telogen)? Or are telogen phase hairs invisible, and the ones in my video are just permanently weaker hairs?

You will have a high percentage of chest  hair in the telogen phase and more than 50 percent probably,  and it is nearly as long as the active growth phase and they will largely look the same and shed and new hairs will grow and mature. As said unless you are comparing like with like then you won't learn much in terms of the effect of a DHT blocker on your chest hair  as we all have thicker and thinner under magnification and especially so more evident if magnified. If you have not noticed it to your natural eye then the chances are it is not an issue for you. If there is any significant change it would be firstly evident to your natural eye and especially if you were to compare photos of pre to post DHT blocker. If you can upload a frontal photo of the chest it would be good to see then also the colour, quality, spreading of it etc.  

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

18 minutes ago, sl said:

You will have a high percentage of chest  hair in the telogen phase and more than 50 percent probably,  and it is nearly as long as the active growth phase and they will largely look the same and shed and new hairs will grow and mature. As said unless you are comparing like with like then you won't learn much in terms of the effect of a DHT blocker on your chest hair  as we all have thicker and thinner under magnification and especially so more evident if magnified. If you have not noticed it to your natural eye then the chances are it is not an issue for you. If there is any significant change it would be firstly evident to your natural eye and especially if you were to compare photos of pre to post DHT blocker. If you can upload a frontal photo of the chest it would be good to see then also the colour, quality, spreading of it etc.  

I have these pics of chest and under chin hair: https://imgur.com/a/mhmCVgN

Be good to see the beard grown a little and how high it rides up your cheeks but for chest and beard you should be fine. If you have any pre-DHT blockers to look at also would be good but you still have decent chest hair so I would guess you have not been effected. 

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

3 minutes ago, sl said:

Be good to see the beard grown a little and how high it rides up your cheeks but for chest and beard you should be fine. If you have any pre-DHT blockers to look at also would be good but you still have decent chest hair so I would guess you have not been effected. 

My cheeks are definitely more sparse, but it's less common to take from that area since the scarring would be more visible, right?

I'll try to find some older photos of chest hair.

Yes I didn't want to see it as such for taking from there but more to see the spread of body hair  and beard you have above jaw also as the more spread usually the stronger it is. Essentially start under the chin if you can and go from there.

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.