Hello,

This is my first post ever on any internet forum.

I started losing hair at a very young age (20 years). At 30 I was already bald. My dad is too, my brother also. I have always lived with it very well - I never have looked for any type of solution, except for some ineffective pharmacy products.

Now that I'm 40 (I think being 40 changed my mindset) I would like to know if there are any miracle that can be applied to my case.

I usually shave my hair but in this period of COVID-19 I let it grow a little. In addition to having a large level of baldness, I noticed that on the back of the head, there seems to be a much weaker area (from middle to bottom).

Is there anything I can do to get hair back?
or Is there anything I can do to keep the “little” hair i have today and mitigate the weak hair I appear to have?
or Should I forget this topic and think about staying as I am?

Finally, congratulations for this forum.

Thanks

hairpic1.jpeg

hairpic2.jpeg

hairpic3.jpeg

hairpic4.jpeg

your only/best chance is to get on finasteride, hope that strengthens your donor area, and then do a strip surgery to rebuild the front half of your head with a very conservative hairline.

there have been a few reported “miracles” with finasteride regrowth on this forum. search for those

Edited by hairlossPA

• Administrators

If you’re happy shaving your head, that’s the best solution. Unfortunately, you’re not a viable hair transplant candidate. The donor looks weak and unstable, you have retrograde alopecia that is deteriorating the hair above your nape.  

Realistically, you have maybe 1,500 DHT resistant grafts that could be harvested. You require upwards of 6,000 grafts to have an illusion of density, while keeping a conservative hairline and thin crown.

In my opinion, you could invest in a high quality hair system, which would be a miraculous return to having a full head of hair. You could also look in to smp, which would allow you to keep the shaved look. That said, if you’re happy and have been living as a bald man for years, I see no reason to change.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Unfortunately, the other members are right. With the current technology you are not a candidate for HT. Please avoid cheap clinic who might promise you a solution. 

I am no expert on hair systems, but with your level of loss at the back and the sides only a full cap might be a solution.

Also, your loss is that bad, I would not bother with medication like FIN etc. in your case. 

My recommendation: Look into SMP and all this stuff. With your beard the shaved look with a shadow effect could look awesome.  But be careful, like HT business, you have to chose you clinic wisely as the are many butchers around.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I agree finasteride would be a waste, it’s like investing in fertilizer when there’s no lawn.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Have to agree with Melvin & Gastheorer, your loss is too far gone, and your donor isn’t great either. Finasteride could only really save hair that’s no more than 50% miniaturized, so I don’t know if there would be any point. 

That said, You have a full thick beard and should use that to your advantage. Imo, keep the beard groomed and maintained and clean shave your head and move on. You probably look great like that judging by your head shape, and your comment about having been comfortable with that for a long time. You’re gonna start giving yourself a headache chasing something that isn’t in your favour.

I would look into SMP - don't bother with meds and you are not a viable candidate for a transplant. SMP could be good, and is temporary, but take the time to research the clinic you go to. Overall though, if you are happy with shaving your head, why not just stay like that?

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your very honest opinions. It is very clear now that I am not a candidate for HT. I’ll use that money for a trip to some amazing place (after this tremendous crisis).

If I may, I would like to clarify 3 doubts:

- Beard to head is an option?
- SMP is temporary? If so, for how long?
- Is there any way to fix or mitigate the retrograde alopecia? What is the root cause for retrograde alopecia?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Alterego said:

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your very honest opinions. It is very clear now that I am not a candidate for HT. I’ll use that money for a trip to some amazing place (after this tremendous crisis).

- Is there any way to fix or mitigate the retrograde alopecia? What is the root cause for retrograde alopecia?

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes. Body hair too. I doubt you will have enough to make it worth it though. You have got 1500 approx in your donor and you will then need about another 4500 from beard and body hair. I just don't think it is worth it. That is for the top of your head too - it will look weird having hair on the top of your head and then the back of your head having very little hair because of the retrograde alopecia. That doesn't happen in nature. I honestly don't think you are a candidate sorry. If they invented graft cloning in the future, then yes, definitely. Until then, sorry.

2) Depends. I haven't looked into it a lot but from what I have seen, it goes a kind of greenish tint after a couple of years and you need to have it redone. I am not sure if that is all the inks, one in particular or indicative of a bad job though. 

3) Genes. Yes, fin may stop it, or slow it down at least. However, this is not guaranteed and the effects don't last forever and there are risks involved in taking it. Look up post-finasteride syndrome. Testosterone is an important hormone within the endocrine system and there are consequences to playing about with it. Most people on here are not doctors and even the doctors are not endocrinologists (neither am I) so I am always amazed at how sure people are with their prescription of this drug without i) having any medical knowledge and ii) having seen your medical history or done tests (bloodwork etc).

Edited by TrixGlendevon

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Alterego said:

Dear all,

Thanks in advance.

Beard to hair is an option, but I don't believe it would be worth it for you. Again, you need a lot of grafts, and unless you completely remove your entire beard area, I don't see you having enough grafts to make a significant cosmetic impact. 

SMP is temporary and usually lasts up to 2 years, it depends on how active you are, the more active you are the less it will last. 

Retrograde alopecia is a form of androgenic alopecia, it is caused by DHT, you could mitigate the loss by using finasteride, but again there's no point in getting on finasteride to regrow your nape, the hair on the top is to far gone, and you wouldn't be getting any real cosmetic benefit. For your situation, the chances of developing side effects, outweighs the benefits, as you don't have any hair on the top to maintain.

Lastly, I think that is an awesome idea to go on a trip. Traveling is priceless, and there is a huge world to see, and there's more to life than hair. 

View my thread

Body hairs, nape hairs, chest hairs, beard hairs are completely unnatural and do not yield much.  They also are very limited in densities- 1 to 2 grafts (if that).  They’ll make area unnatural and even kill your existing hairs.  Trust me on it as ive experienced.  Also, if you take finasteride, these other hairs will die.  

hair systems these days can do wonders and theres no shame they look much better then a transplant if done right.  There is maintenance, but then again people take finasteride daily and apply rogaine twice daily then spend hours trying to spray toppik and have that go in our nose and worry when it rains and buy shampoos we think will do something etc etc.  to get away from all that- a good hair system or good smp may help you out.  Please do not start the hair restoration journey though as i gaurantee it wont be enough to cover you and it will look unnatural due to the counts you need to make it happen.   Due to covid im unable to show you but if your local to ny nj areas i dont mind showing what can happen.  Truth matters and i believe facts will help guide your decision.  Best of luck

Edited by Sean

On 4/20/2020 at 7:36 AM, Sean said:

Body hairs, nape hairs, chest hairs, beard hairs are completely unnatural and do not yield much.  They also are very limited in densities- 1 to 2 grafts (if that).  They’ll make area unnatural and even kill your existing hairs.  Trust me on it as ive experienced.  Also, if you take finasteride, these other hairs will die.  

hair systems these days can do wonders and theres no shame they look much better then a transplant if done right.  There is maintenance, but then again people take finasteride daily and apply rogaine twice daily then spend hours trying to spray toppik and have that go in our nose and worry when it rains and buy shampoos we think will do something etc etc.  to get away from all that- a good hair system or good smp may help you out.  Please do not start the hair restoration journey though as i gaurantee it wont be enough to cover you and it will look unnatural due to the counts you need to make it happen.   Due to covid im unable to show you but if your local to ny nj areas i dont mind showing what can happen.  Truth matters and i believe facts will help guide your decision.  Best of luck

Hi,

I'm totally available to talk with you. During covid time we can use Skype or Zoom.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Alterego said:

Hi,

Which company / clinic is the leader regarding hair systems?

Thanks

Check out New Roots on YouTube. They have some really natural looking hairlines, which is the hardest thing to replicate with a system. 

View my thread