Topical Finasteride "Without" Side Effects

EricL

I come across this product which is topical finasteride: https://www.minoxidilmax.com/topical-finasteride-without-minoxidil-essengen-f

It is not FDA approved. But based on case studies, it is claimed to be as effective as finasteride. And because is topical application, it doesn't bring (or maybe minor) side effects compare to oral finasteride. Seems like people are switching from oral to topical application due to much worried of the side effect.

Have anyone tried? Or heard about this and it's effectiveness?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using it. I have been for a bit over three months. So far, so good. I feel like I'm seeing results. I also do aggressive microneedling. 

The one major drawback is -- don't touch your hair and then touch your face, and keep away from your eyes! Also, I change my pillowcase every night to keep them clean, and even sometimes wear a nightcap to keep the minoxidil from my hair from getting onto the pillow where I rest my face. You don't want this stuff on your face or hands. Same goes for minoxidil.

All told, my initial results are very promising. I'm going to give it a few more months and see what happens. 

On 4/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, Friedman said:

I am using it. I have been for a bit over three months. So far, so good. I feel like I'm seeing results. I also do aggressive microneedling. 

The one major drawback is -- don't touch your hair and then touch your face, and keep away from your eyes! Also, I change my pillowcase every night to keep them clean, and even sometimes wear a nightcap to keep the minoxidil from my hair from getting onto the pillow where I rest my face. You don't want this stuff on your face or hands. Same goes for minoxidil.

All told, my initial results are very promising. I'm going to give it a few more months and see what happens. 

Thanks for your input. Can i know which one that you are using? Just finasteride, or mixture with minoxidil?

How aggressive is your microneedling? As in very frequent or the depth of the needle?

2 hours ago, Thisisnotatest333 said:

im on a home brew topical fin and i have 0 side effects. I did have ball ache for a week but it went away. It could ve been something else too. I m also micronedling too

You compound it yourself? I use a topical finasteride I got from Minoxidil Max, got it with just finasteride because I have a fat supply or rogaine that I got at Costco so want to burn through that. I take oral fin 4x a week, and apply a bit of the topical on the days in between oral fin, any thoughts on that?

On 4/24/2020 at 4:08 AM, TorontoMan said:

You compound it yourself? I use a topical finasteride I got from Minoxidil Max, got it with just finasteride because I have a fat supply or rogaine that I got at Costco so want to burn through that. I take oral fin 4x a week, and apply a bit of the topical on the days in between oral fin, any thoughts on that?

if you are on oral fin, everything on top of that can be only beneficial. Yes, i compounded it myself with the same compounds rogaine uses, but without minoxidil. Its a typical formula for any topical that is based on PG and ethanol

I saw a doctor promoting another brand of topical finasteride (not sure whether he is affiliated with the product), with the combination of minoxidil + retinoic acid.

https://www.hihappyhead.com/product/men-topical-finasteride-for-hair-loss/

But it seems there is an additional compound which is retinoic acid, which Minoxidil Max doesn't have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 3:05 AM, EricL said:

I saw a doctor promoting another brand of topical finasteride (not sure whether he is affiliated with the product), with the combination of minoxidil + retinoic acid.

https://www.hihappyhead.com/product/men-topical-finasteride-for-hair-loss/

But it seems there is an additional compound which is retinoic acid, which Minoxidil Max doesn't have.

He basically writes you a prescription which is sent to a compounding pharmacy that he's working with to make the formulation. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this, saw it on minoxidil max.

As you may see in my other thread, I finally got struck down by sides (after 8 successful years on propecia) when switching to Aindeem 2 years ago. 

I'm going to try the lower topical fin 0.5% / 6% minox for 2 months so I get used to it then move onto the 15% minox with azaelic acid etc. and 0.1% fin.

- Is minoxidil max reputable and does the topical fin / minox combo work well?

Edited by TommyLucchese

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

What was the reason you switch from Propecia to Aindeem in the first place, if it just a different brand with the same compound?

I did not try the product from minoxidil max. That's the thing about all these products published with all the ingredients available. But there is no prove of clinical trial, not listed/approved by FDA, no case studies or what so ever. Is all solely based on "testimonial" over their own website.

There are also other topical application (such as from DS Lab) that also published to have DHT blocker ingredients. I was wondering do we really need "finasteride" irregardless of oral or topical.

DS Lab products also "claim" to have DHT blocker, since we go for finasteride main also for the same reason of blocking DHT anyway.

46 minutes ago, EricL said:

What was the reason you switch from Propecia to Aindeem in the first place, if it just a different brand with the same compound?

$$$$$$ -Propecia is the original patented forumulation, even though its off patent the company Merck still charges too much for it.

And I don't know about this minoxidilmax site, when you click on the "ABOUT US" link you just get this little blurb about dedication and that veteran and noobs alike will be glad they discovered this site, pretty sparse and suspiciously vague. And the "CONTACT US" link only has a web email form, no phone number, and some address in canada.

I'd be careful, sounds like this whole operation may be little more than someone else doing a little home 'compounding' in their basements.

image.thumb.png.9b7c0df36982755a9bf27b1b327f5fe6.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricL said:

Money.

Belgravia was charging (if I remember rightly) around £2k a year for propecia and 12.5% minoxidil cream. Then I switched to rogaine foam and proscar for a fraction of the cost....then I found aindeem which was cheaper and didn't require cutting the pill. 

I was happy with the results but a year later I realised my fatigue, numbness and low drive all started with aindeem. Should have just stuck with the Proscar.

Seems minoxidilmax requires some further research.... 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

4 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

Seems minoxidilmax requires some further research.... 

You can always try it out for 3 ~ 6 months. I guess that is what most of us here do just to "test" the product. Since there is no way for us to really confirm, especially when the product is not FDA approved.

Do let us know your results though if you decided to give it a try. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, mustang said:

I had massive sides with their Topical Fin. Worse I have ever had.

Topical Dutasteride is a much safer and way more effective alternative.

You tried Minoxidilmax? What side effects you experienced? Mind sharing it?

On 10/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, mustang said:

I had massive sides with their Topical Fin. Worse I have ever had.

Topical Dutasteride is a much safer and way more effective alternative.

Sorry to hear that. I've been using the Essengen 6 for the last 3 weeks, once a day every few days, to hopefully avoid any sides. 

What product of theirs did you use? Really hoped this would be a way to have the positives without the negatives...

• 1 month later...

From Dr Mwamba in Belgium.

They are making a new website that will be live in a couple of weeks, topical dutasteride will be prescribed and compounded for patients with a previous online and free consultation I believe