potential hair transplant surgeon

29 minutes ago, rf_ht_2019 said:

Wow! your results are amazing!

Thanks! I spent about 3 years researching this and like you, also started out being convinced I wanted FUE and also got in touch with a couple of Turkish clinics. So glad I researched it all now.

22 minutes ago, rf_ht_2019 said:

This is probably a stupid question but if I need approximately 6000 grafts, would that be FU or number of hairs? http://www.hattingenhair.com/en/hair-transplant-prices/prices/

You will need about 6000 grafts/FUs. Each graft is like the "root" that then has hairs coming off it. Some grafts have 1 hair, some 2, some 3, some 4 and in rare cases you may get ones with 5s. The 1s are used in the hairline and the rest are used to give density elsewhere. You can tell a cheap HT when the patient has multi-hair grafts in the hairline. It looks like a solid wall you are met with when looking at their face. 

I am guessing you asked this question because of the price - yes, the price probably surprised you as you had previously been checking out Turkish clinics. You get what you pay for though. Also, although Hattingen does do procedures of up to 6,000 grafts, you would need very good laxity for that size. This is why I went with 4,500 and now need to go back for a second. It would have been cheaper per graft to do it one go but he said my laxity wouldn't let him go above 4,500. 

1 hour ago, TrixGlendevon said:

You will need about 6000 grafts/FUs. Each graft is like the "root" that then has hairs coming off it. Some grafts have 1 hair, some 2, some 3, some 4 and in rare cases you may get ones with 5s. The 1s are used in the hairline and the rest are used to give density elsewhere. You can tell a cheap HT when the patient has multi-hair grafts in the hairline. It looks like a solid wall you are met with when looking at their face. 

I am guessing you asked this question because of the price - yes, the price probably surprised you as you had previously been checking out Turkish clinics. You get what you pay for though. Also, although Hattingen does do procedures of up to 6,000 grafts, you would need very good laxity for that size. This is why I went with 4,500 and now need to go back for a second. It would have been cheaper per graft to do it one go but he said my laxity wouldn't let him go above 4,500. 

Thanks for the info re grafts, thats really helpful!

Yes, there is a big difference on price but like you say, you get what you pay for. So, you are going back for a second op - can I ask how many more grafts you will need? 

1 hour ago, TrixGlendevon said:

...also can I ask why you don't use any meds like Propecia? were you advised against this?

43 minutes ago, rf_ht_2019 said:

Thanks for the info re grafts, thats really helpful!

Yes, there is a big difference on price but like you say, you get what you pay for. So, you are going back for a second op - can I ask how many more grafts you will need? 

No problem! The short answer is 3000, I think. The long answer is that Feriduni estmated my donor to have 7500 and he spent a good amount of time doing calculations and working out different scenarios etc. to see what density in my donor would be after in different areas of my head. I repeat: his reputation as an ethical doctor is in the God-like tier. I have had 4390 or whatever it was, if I have 3000 now that takes me to 7390 and then I can have 100-120 put into the scar taking me to 7500. However, the reason I went with Hattingen is that 1) Feriduni wouldn't do FUT on me and wanted to do FUE but I had decided on FUT by that point because I don't take meds and also because, conversely, there is less of an issue with scarring with FUT. Also although I liked the hairline he drew, the wanted to raise the hairline and I wanted it to start from where my forelock/tuft is on my pics, sacrificing the hairline shape if need be but he wouldn't budge and 2) Feriduni told me honestly about what he thought about some other clinics I was considering and he couldn't speak highly enough of Hattingen.

I had already booked an in-person consultation with Hattingen having already had a Skype one and their reputation for world class FUT mega-sessions can only really be matched by H&W (the other clinic Feriduni waxed lyrical about). I really liked Sever and Laura (Hattingen is a husband-wife team clinic - both doctors and both are involved in different stages of the procedure)as people and had seen lots of their results online coupled with Feriduni's recommendation and there was a cancellation when I arrived for my consultation so I went for it. I never asked Hattingen what my total count was in the donor as the consultation with Feriduni was so good and thorough. Now I am looking at a second op, I am wondering if the 7500 estimate by Feriduni was general or FUE specific. i.e. would this figure be higher if I did just FUT. In which case I may get a third smaller one of 1000-1500 in the future to lower the hairline. I am going to Hattingen again for my final check-up when the travel ban is done with and will discuss it with him then. I was supposed to go last month but public health is more important so I changed my mind.

tl;dr - 3000 but I may get a small, 3rd 1000-1500 procedure done in the future on my hairline, depending on the outcome of my consultations.

40 minutes ago, rf_ht_2019 said:

...also can I ask why you don't use any meds like Propecia? were you advised against this?

The controversy surrounding the meds is growing in Europe more and more and I think there may even be a ban on them. The positive effects don't last forever either so what will you do then? Start taking even more unproven meds to keep up the positive effects on your hair? Not worth the risk in my opinion. They are powerful medicine and affect the endocrine system which testosterone is an important constituent part of in the male physiology, besides the obvious trousers department issues. There are no long term studies on the effects of the medication either. I also don't want to be a "slave" to meds - constantly having to worry about if I have enough and where I would source more from. I told all doctors I would not take them and some were not happy about it but c'est la vie. Feriduni agrees with me and said it was refreshing somebody had done research on it. He advised me to look up "post-finasteride syndrome" which is still being studied to understand completely. Sever asked me, I said no and mentioned the studies etc. and he agreed with me. When I went back a couple of weeks later for my staples to be taken out, he had done some research and spoken to a couple of his patients (top guy) and mentioned topical finasteride and that they had had good results from it. I still didn't want to take the risk and he accepted it (but I appreciated the effort).

The simple fact is people on here saying "just take this" "just take that" are not doctors and certainly not endocrinologists. They don't know your medical history and haven't put you through any lab tests and wouldn't know how to interpret the results anyway, if they had done. The doctors that prescribe them are also not endocrinologists and are also looking at the issue,. in most cases, from a transplant perspective and not a holistic health one. Some doctors will not do transplants if you do not take them (Ximena Vila, for one) yet they don't do bloodwork or trial you on them first to test your compatibility with them. I have never asked an endocrinologist but I imagine if I did, they would agree with me. I went with a conservative hairline and opted to not take meds. Melvin, the forum moderator, was also a high NW and also does not take meds for similar reasons.

tl;dr no long-term studies, not worth the risk, not having to plan my life around them

Edited by TrixGlendevon

2 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

No problem! The short answer is 3000, I think. The long answer is that Feriduni estmated my donor to have 7500 and he spent a good amount of time doing calculations and working out different scenarios etc. to see what density in my donor would be after in different areas of my head. I repeat: his reputation as an ethical doctor is in the God-like tier. I have had 4390 or whatever it was, if I have 3000 now that takes me to 7390 and then I can have 100-120 put into the scar taking me to 7500. However, the reason I went with Hattingen is that 1) Feriduni wouldn't do FUT on me and wanted to do FUE but I had decided on FUT by that point because I don't take meds and also because, conversely, there is less of an issue with scarring with FUT. Also although I liked the hairline he drew, the wanted to raise the hairline and I wanted it to start from where my forelock/tuft is on my pics, sacrificing the hairline shape if need be but he wouldn't budge and 2) Feriduni told me honestly about what he thought about some other clinics I was considering and he couldn't speak highly enough of Hattingen.

Why wouldn't Feriduni do FUT?

3000 but I may get a small, 3rd 1000-1500 procedure done in the future on my hairline, depending on the outcome of my consultations.

Are you not happy with your new hairline?

The controversy surrounding the meds is growing in Europe more and more and I think there may even be a ban on them. The positive effects don't last forever either so what will you do then? Start taking even more unproven meds to keep up the positive effects on your hair? Not worth the risk in my opinion. They are powerful medicine and affect the endocrine system which testosterone is an important constituent part of in the male physiology, besides the obvious trousers department issues. There are no long term studies on the effects of the medication either. I also don't want to be a "slave" to meds - constantly having to worry about if I have enough and where I would source more from. I told all doctors I would not take them and some were not happy about it but c'est la vie. Feriduni agrees with me and said it was refreshing somebody had done research on it. He advised me to look up "post-finasteride syndrome" which is still being studied to understand completely. Sever asked me, I said no and mentioned the studies etc. and he agreed with me. When I went back a couple of weeks later for my staples to be taken out, he had done some research and spoken to a couple of his patients (top guy) and mentioned topical finasteride and that they had had good results from it. I still didn't want to take the risk and he accepted it (but I appreciated the effort).

Yeah I agree with a lot you have mentioned re meds. 

I had never heard of post-finasteride syndrome but I just read about it online... its fair to say, I won't use finasteride ever again, its just not worth the risk.

1 hour ago, rf_ht_2019 said:

Why wouldn't Feriduni do FUT?

Are you not happy with your new hairline?

Yeah I agree with a lot you have mentioned re meds. 

I had never heard of post-finasteride syndrome but I just read about it online... its fair to say, I won't use finasteride ever again, its just not worth the risk.

He didn't say. I asked and he said he would just prefer to do FUE on me and it wasn't the price either because he offered a discount. A lot of the European clinics started off as FUT and then moved to FUE. If you look at most of the top, well regarded clinics in Europe now they are either FUE only or offer both in theory but haven't done FUT in so long that it doesn't make sense to go with them for that procedure type. Feriduni does still do FUT as I have seen some recent FUT results, and they are still good, but I get the impression he prefers FUE procedures. 

I am of course. I have had an amazing result and it looks great but I, like most people, would prefer to lower it slightly so it slightly rounded when shaved right down. It is conservative, but it is conservative because I won't take meds so I need to keep the grafts in the bank, just in case. It is called "hair greed". It is when you have a great first op and you are looking for your second, everybody wants a lower hairline. I even set up a post asking about it but I won't be lowering it this time round, if at all. I decided last night.

Wise choice! 

13 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

I am of course. I have had an amazing result and it looks great but I, like most people, would prefer to lower it slightly so it slightly rounded when shaved right down. It is conservative, but it is conservative because I won't take meds so I need to keep the grafts in the bank, just in case. It is called "hair greed". It is when you have a great first op and you are looking for your second, everybody wants a lower hairline. I even set up a post asking about it but I won't be lowering it this time round, if at all. I decided last night.

You're doing the sensible thing - I think thats the approach I will reluctantly take too. 

Thanks again!

@rf_ht_2019 you were given great advice and I’m happy to see you went from Turkish hairmills to the best in the world for FUT. Looking forward to hearing about your diagnosis with Feriduni and Hattingen. 

29 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

@rf_ht_2019 you were given great advice and I’m happy to see you went from Turkish hairmills to the best in the world for FUT. Looking forward to hearing about your diagnosis with Feriduni and Hattingen. 

Thanks @Portugal25   Yes the advice has been great!! - I feel like I have learned so much from you guys in just a few days. 

Im going to spend time doing further research before booking any consultations but I will keep you updated for sure.

Good luck with your hair transplant; which is looking great so far. I will be following along :)

1 minute ago, rf_ht_2019 said:

Thanks @Portugal25   Yes the advice has been great!! - I feel like I have learned so much from you guys in just a few days. 

Im going to spend time doing further research before booking any consultations but I will keep you updated for sure.

Good luck with your hair transplant; which is looking great so far. I will be following along :)

Thanks for your kind words. So far I’m happy as I chose one of the only two options to go with in Turkey (for BHT they are both great) but for your particular condition Feriduni and Hattingen are the best choices. 

On 4/19/2020 at 7:37 PM, Craig2412 said:

No way are they a high priced hairmill. I’ve seen the negative posts and see them while doing my own research. Every clinic has bad results. 
I think your find on this forum alone there are lots of ‘lucky’ patients like me. 

On 4/19/2020 at 7:20 PM, Portugal25 said:

@Craig2412 I’m glad you are one of the lucky ones from ASMED and I see you are aware that today ASMED is no better than any other Turkish hairmill.

You can check below what recent ASMED patients are saying:

@munich experience and quote:

“Now they operate 8 patients per day. If you are lucky you get the good techs. Dr. Koray just draws the hairline and makes the cuts. 
They promise a growth rate of more than 90% but they can't keep this promise anymore as you could see in many cases here in this forum. “

@dust78 experience and quote:

“unacceptable is the attitude they are having with me. I sent the photos to show the conditions of my donor. The doctor did not even deign to answer me personally, as usual he delegated his consultant who with a message via whatsapp told me that it was all right and that it was all normal. Furthermore, as he had done previously, at the slightest hint of dissent he immediately made me understand that if I didn't like it I had to see it with their lawyer! “

@miko experience:

Based in the threads above from real patients experiences, I’m downgrading the tech run ASMED to a hairmill (just like Cinik) and will be referring to them as such in the future. 

I don’t understand how people still recommend this unethical high priced hairmill.

@rf_ht_2019 if you are dead set on traveling to the world capital of botched hair transplant surgeries that is Turkey but still manage to achieve great results then I advise you to book with the best in the country, right now that’s  HLC Ankara.

This is link to my ful story about Asmed, Dr. Erdogan, their result and practices...

5 minutes ago, miko said:

This is link to my ful story about Asmed, Dr. Erdogan, their result and practices...

@miko thanks for sharing yet another horror from the most famous hairmill in Turkey - ASMED.
It’s truly unbelievable how HRN can still be associated with such a unethical hairmill.

• Administrators

Guys, 

We are well aware of the unhappy patients, that ASMED have, I’ve personally spoken to the clinic about each and every one of them.

@LordBaldwin a satisfied Asmed patient made a fantastic statistical post, where he showed actual patient reviews, rated by the patients own satisfaction, and the majority of their patients were happy.

Sensationalism is what I want to rid this forum of because it skews perception. It seems unhappy patients are validated more than happy patients, that doesn’t seem right at all- this thread shows how @Craig2412 was completely dismissed, as was @DEB1982  @HG1 and @nb98 these are just recent cases. 

A happy patient thread might get a couple replies, but an unhappy patient will receive hundreds. It’s clear that human nature attracts us to negativity and it’s apparent in mainstream media, which constantly blasts how many people have died of Covid-19 but have never once mentioned the thousands of patients who’ve made a full recovery. 

My point is that we value every patient’s input both good and bad equally, at this point, we’ve seen more happy patients than unhappy, but of course last year we had one unhappy asmed patient who was caught making at least 9 different accounts to smear their reputation. Believe me, I’ve been keeping a very close eye on all of the input regarding this clinic, no clinic is above our own reputation.

Lastly, don’t take my word for it, that’s why we designed this forum like google, a simple search will pull up all of the recent asmed results, so anyone can verify this themselves.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin-Moderator you told me all Doctors have bad results but it’s how they handle these bad results that make them good or bad Doctors. 

ASMED has bad results like all other clinics but they have started threatening patients with lawyers @dust78 or simply stonewalling patients with bad results for months @miko and that should be unacceptable at HRN!

@munich stated that ASMED is now a clinic that does tech run surgeries on 8 patients per and will therefore refuse any touch at ASMED to avoid further endangering his precious donor area with this hairmill.

These aren’t patients writing sensationalist posts or fake members, these are real patients showing HRN the truly unethical behavior they are enduring from one of HRN affiliates.

You replied to all of this by complaining that a patient of ASMED that got a good result was dismissed on this thread and mentioned names of some other patients with good results but what does any of that matter to us patients when we have read here at HRN how we risk being treated if we have a bad result at ASMED....

Myself and @TrixGlendevon gave good advice and managed to steer @rf_ht_2019 clear away from hairmills so imagine my surprise when I just read your post giving him confidence to chose a hairmill such as ASMED.

I have to admit that I’m shocked that you are going to such lengths to defend ASMED despite their unethical behavior which in my humble opinion should at the very least award them a temporary ban until they show proof of a drastic change in their behavior towards their botched patients.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

@Melvin-Moderator you told me all Doctors have bad results but it’s how they handle these bad results that make them good or bad Doctors. 

ASMED has bad results like all other clinics but they have started threatening patients with lawyers @dust78 or simply stonewalling patients with bad results for months @miko and that should be unacceptable at HRN!

@munich stated that ASMED is now a clinic that does tech run surgeries on 8 patients per and will therefore refuse any touch at ASMED to avoid further endangering his precious donor area with this hairmill.

These aren’t patients writing sensationalist posts or fake members, these are real patients showing HRN the truly unethical behavior they are enduring from one of HRN affiliates.

You replied to all of this by complaining that a patient of ASMED that got a good result was dismissed on this thread and mentioned names of some other patients with good results but what does any of that matter to us patients when we have read here at HRN how we risk being treated if we have a bad result at ASMED....

Myself and @TrixGlendevon gave good advice and managed to steer @rf_ht_2019 clear away from hairmills so imagine my surprise when I just read your post giving him confidence to chose a hairmill such as ASMED.

I have to admit that I’m shocked that you are going to such lengths to defend ASMED despite their unethical behavior which in my humble opinion should at the very least award them a temporary ban until they show proof of a drastic change in their behavior towards their botched patients.

Lol I’m so glad I didn’t take your ‘good advice’ as otherwise I would have never ended up looking like this 😊😉

B187F211-120A-4D8B-8C47-03336CBA318C.jpeg

9DE24AC8-3885-4999-AE67-AE4D4528B644.jpeg

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys, 

We are well aware of the unhappy patients, that ASMED have, I’ve personally spoken to the clinic about each and every one of them.

@LordBaldwin a satisfied Asmed patient made a fantastic statistical post, where he showed actual patient reviews, rated by the patients own satisfaction, and the majority of their patients were happy.

Sensationalism is what I want to rid this forum of because it skews perception. It seems unhappy patients are validated more than happy patients, that doesn’t seem right at all- this thread shows how @Craig2412 was completely dismissed, as was @DEB1982  @HG1 and @nb98 these are just recent cases. 

A happy patient thread might get a couple replies, but an unhappy patient will receive hundreds. It’s clear that human nature attracts us to negativity and it’s apparent in mainstream media, which constantly blasts how many people have died of Covid-19 but have never once mentioned the thousands of patients who’ve made a full recovery. 

My point is that we value every patient’s input both good and bad equally, at this point, we’ve seen more happy patients than unhappy, but of course last year we had one unhappy asmed patient who was caught making at least 9 different accounts to smear their reputation. Believe me, I’ve been keeping a very close eye on all of the input regarding this clinic, no clinic is above our own reputation.

Lastly, don’t take my word for it, that’s why we designed this forum like google, a simple search will pull up all of the recent asmed results, so anyone can verify this themselves.

I haven't got involved in this debate in any other thread but this post is a bit silly.The arguments against ASMED that @Portugal25 highlighted are 1) that they threaten people with lawyers rather than standing by their work. This alone is bad. It shows a complete lack of ethics and a lack of willingness to standby their work. You personally have banned other clinics from posting here for getting lawyers involved when poor results have been posted, but I suppose they weren't paying the site 10k a month for protection. If anybody looked at this first point alone objectively then it should be enough to tell you all about the character of the clinic. Compare that with other clinics who stand by their work when a bad result is posted and try and fix the problem rather than silence the victim. A good example is the H&W case you got involved with recently. 2) The other argument is that they have too many techs and it is a hairmill. Of course some people will get good results. They haven't got rid of the old techs. The point he made is also a logical one - if you happen to get themore experienced team that made ASMED's name in the first place, you will get a good result. If you are unlucky enough to get one of the other 7-8 teams that also work there, you can flip a coin. 3) Then there is the risk game from a higher level. Given he is as/more expensive as clinics in Western Europe, which means complying with the legal and medical ethics that the EU brings, why would you risk going there, from 1 or 2 alone, but then taking account you have no legal guarantees? It is the Wild West in Turkey. I was in Istanbul earlier this year and the amount of people walking around with shit transplants, quite openly, is indicative of the lax laws for this sector there. 

So:

1) Adds to extra trauma of the victim by suing you should you get a bad result with him. This is after already dropping 10k+ with him;

2) Tech team roulette;

3) No protective legal/ethical framework

He isn't saying you will definitely get a bad result there, he is saying there are significant factors that will make it harder or to get one and that will prevent anything being done afterwards should it not work out. It is a numbers game coupled with poor ethics. So all the patients who are saying they got good results so this must be universal is just silly. 

Also, the "doing a search thing" for good results - this drop in quality appears to be a relatively new trend at the clinic so the bad ones won't be coming out of the woodwork just yet. Give it another year or two though. This isn't the only major forum to have members noting this worrying new trend either by the way!

Edited by TrixGlendevon

5 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Great result! Congrats - how many grafts?

I would be gutted if my HT had turned out like this. 🤣. You look from the pics at least 10 years younger, what a waste of money 😡
Seriously what a great result, regardless of the clinic used, you must be ecstatic with the result.

• Thanks 1

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

3 hours ago, HG1 said:

I would be gutted if my HT had turned out like this. 🤣. You look from the pics at least 10 years younger, what a waste of money 😡
Seriously what a great result, regardless of the clinic used, you must be ecstatic with the result.

The risk is too high for me to either consider or recommend other people going there. I am genuinely glad he got a fantastic result though. He must be thrilled, as you say.

Cinik charges all inclusive rate of 1500€ for up to 4000 grafts and there are several Cinik threads at HRN with good results so should Cinik also be recommended? Ofcourse not! This is another hairmill like ASMED doing 
tech run surgeries on more than 8 patients per day so the results depend on how lucky people are to get a good tech team.

Like @TrixGlendevon said, the risk is to high for any reasonable person to recommend hairmills (like ASMED and lower priced Cinik) that have techs do surgery on 8 or more patients per day.

Edited by Portugal25

4 hours ago, HG1 said:

Thank you mate, you could say ecstatic, I’m absolutely thrilled and it’s had such a positive impact on my life.

You know already how life changing this can be.

32 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

The risk is too high for me to either consider or recommend other people going there. I am genuinely glad he got a fantastic result though. He must be thrilled, as you say.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words 😊

On 4/22/2020 at 12:35 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys, 

I understand. But one thing are results and second thing is attitude of clinic to their bad results. You wrote, that you personally spoke about each bad result of Asmed. You also wrote me that you asked Asmed about my case. After this, they wrote me message on 12th March 2020, that Dr. Erdogan will analyze my photos again that day and they will write me. Today is 23th April 2020 and nobody from Asmed wrote me. I have several messages of Asmed from past where they wrote me: ... Dr. Erdogan will check your case again and we will let you know ... Also they wrote me that my result is normal, or they tried to transfer responsibility to me, according stopping using finasteride after 18 months since HT regardless of the same poor result of my HT in that time (when I used finasteride) and same today. One of the reasons why I choosed Asmed and why I have this crazy sh*t on my head was recommendation of this website. I also think that they shouldn´t be recommended by this website...