HT Thoughts

Hey everyone - been researching these forums for about a year now and finally decided to create my own thread as i need some guidance on how i should proceed with my hairloss. I recently just turned 26, but started noticing by hair-loss at the age of 20. For my age i have lost a lot of hair. I would say im Norwood 5/6 and appear to have an intermediate frontal recession pattern. I do believe i would be an ideal candidate for HT. I reside and in Chicago, and have just emailed Dr.Konior to get his thoughts. I had a consultation with Dr. Nadimi but want to get other doctors opinions as well. I would prefer to go with FUE since i fade out the back and side of my hair when i get a haircut. 

I did take finasteride for about 2-3 months stopped because i was experiencing side effects. Since i have lost a significant amount of hair at such a young age, would it be smart to pursue a HT now or wait? I've read that its not smart to get a HT at a young age. Also based off the pictures attached, how many grafts do you guys think i will need to restore my frontal area. Also looking at my case, any particular doctors other than Konior and Nadimi i should be talking to? For me money is not an issue. 

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

hey

With a similar hairloss situation to you, after 3 HT and now at 30yo I'm finally happy to leave the house without a Snapback.  If you're considering FUE look for a doctor who has extensive experience and great results on Norwoods 6/7.  Your donor area seems good but not great imo,  although you have the option of beard grafts which could be utilized to add more Density. 

To answer your Question, The longer you wait the Better,  your Hairloss is not stable ( you're not taking any preventive medication )  and at 26yo you could progress, where you crown and Lateral Humps could miniaturise and you lose more hair. Imo 4000-4500 grafts could cover the Frontal Half with Good Density, although I would recommend a High Conservative Hairline.

Having 2 Hair Transplants with Great results by Dr Sethi and Dr Bansal, in India I would Highly Recommend you look into Eugenix. 

Edited by Niko1
  • Like 1

the only reason people tell prospective HT patients to wait is to wait and see what their final pattern is going to be. yours is very clear.

you definitely do not need to wait and can get a procedure. just plan accordingly and have realistic expectations 

• Administrators

You have a very similar hair loss pattern as I did at your age, are you interested in FUE or FUT? You have given two excellent names, but I would take this time to submit as much online consultations as possible. It's important that you look at real patient reviews to help you make the decision. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'd go with Konior out of the two you mentioned and you have such a large area to cover that I would definitely go with FUT even though you say your preference is for FUE. If you do want to go FUT, there are other clinics that we can recommend too. As Melvin says, try and get as many consultations as possible.

• Moderators

Go to a place that does both scalp grafts and beard grafts and get as many beard grafts mixed in with scalp grafts as you can to lessen the amount of scalp grafts used. That way you lower the risk of running out of scalp grafts or depleting the donor area or getting stuck if the area widens over time.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 3 weeks later...

As you guys have mentioned in your responses above, i have been taking the time to consult with other doctors and have been browsing the forum for patient reviews that are similar to my hairloss. I have been discussing with Dr. Konior via email frequently. He stated that the pictures i have provided him with i have an intermediate phase miniaturization in what will inevitably become a class 5 or 6 pattern and has mentioned by donor area is average. He recommended 2000 grafts to restore the frontal and midscalp section. 

I have also consulted with Eugenix. Very pleased with the work they have been putting out. A lot of the patients have hair loss that is similar to mine. I have a video consultation with Dr.Arika this week. But i have been recommended over email that i will need 3500-4000 grafts to restore the frontal and scalp zone. They said the crown can be treated with medication. 

Tough decision to make here. Both Konior and Eugenix are highly recommended on the forum and have been putting out great results. Eugenix is far more cheaper but i don't want to make a decision because of price. Which clinic/dr would you guys go with taking my hairloss into consideration. 

Thanks for posting and full face also! I would agree with the advice given here already.

You are still young and not on meds. Your crown will drop as is evident from the photos and not the thickest donor, especially above the ears and also the nape area.

So, make sure to get real empirical data on your donor and densities, miniaturisation and the safe zones you can take from because for your age you have extensive loss and it will progress. Your sides could drop also as you age and you want to make sure that with your donor limitations and future loss potential that there is longevity to whatever you do. A surgery of 2,000 is not a lot and would need to be a very conservative design to then go back to mid-scalp.

Whatever you do, keep in mind future loss and that it needs to look natural and keep some in the bank for any sides dipping. Your beard is not strong above the jaw from the photos. 

All the best to you!

at.jpg

IMG_3888.thumb.jpg.725d3d619db3ed4a7f6b3499e44ffedc.jpg

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

You are very young and it's obvious you are going to progress to a norwood 6 or 7.  Plan for the long term, which means in your case now...do nothing. Why ? Because your hair will almost certainly fall soon as your not on medication,  ( and even if you did start meds there is no guarantees) so taking your age into consideration you will be chasing what your going to lose in the next few years if you get a HT now. 

Sit tight and when you lose more hair that will be the right time to strike for gold. Then you will know what doner you have ,to plan accordingly. Your doner looks weak , so you could and will lose that if it's extracted and implanted into your recipent .  You will also need to utilise your beard grafts , and mix them with your scalp doner. As hard as it is ,wait untill you lose more , and possibly go from front to mid scalp first, which is the more important and what you see in the mirror and what people see when they interact with you face to face. Then consider your crown only if you have grafts in the bank. Don't do your crown now.  You need your precious grafts, remember your doner is not the best, use them for your front and mid scalp first.

All the best

Paddy

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/55634-experience-of-an-irishman-after-6-years-researching-puts-his-trust-in-dr-pradeep-sethi-and-drarika-bansal-eugenix-india-for-hair-transplantation-of-a-combination-of-scalp-and-beard-hair/

• Administrators

You've been given excellent advice. I hope that you stay a while and do some extensive research. Remember this is a marathon not a race.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.