Hair Transplants Are Not Perfect!

• Administrators

I wanted to share with you guys my imperfections, no one ever shows this in the industry, and it’s a real shame, because it sets so many up for failure. 

Most of you know my story, bald before 30, three hair transplants over 5k grafts. My hair looks better than I could’ve ever imagined, but the reality is, it’s far from perfect. 

Below how my hair looked at 29 before any surgery. 

Second how it looks wet outta the shower, see all that scalp!

Third once it’s damp and combed, still see scalp but a lot less. 

Now, I hope this can paint a realistic depiction of how hair transplants work, they do not match hair for hair-hair loss. They provide you with the ability to have an “illusion” of hair and the opportunity to take advantage of concealers to mask any vulnerability. Hope this can help you guys on your journey to more hair. 

20B89681-B810-48A1-B1AD-236B468F9D48.jpeg

D2B1B7C9-AC58-44C4-A62C-8AF41AB4834E.jpeg

6BA2C697-6A6C-44C4-ADD9-90F3BC6C6570.jpeg

• Like 5

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin thanks for sharing all these details regarding your transplant. There isn’t info like this anywhere else since it’s mainly marketing to get patients in the chair! You’re doing potential patients a great service by serving up some reality

huge transformation. Why’d you switch away from the pomp? Am I getting to old to realize it’s going out of style?

Edited by LonelyGraft

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

Melvin thanks for sharing all these details regarding your transplant. There isn’t info like this anywhere else since it’s mainly marketing to get patients in the chair! You’re doing potential patients a great service by serving up some reality

huge transformation. Why’d you switch away from the pomp? Am I getting to old to realize it’s going out of style?

I still do the pomp from time to time, just haven’t been lately cause I’ve been quarantined. When I’m lounging around my house it’s just slicked back for practical reasons. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Cheers Melvin, posts and photos like this can help with peoples expectations.

Posts like these aren’t as popular, because they dash some folks dreams. At the same time, when unknowing patients come here upset posting photos with wet and damp hair, and their hairline spread apart, it’s because no one told them the truth or the reality.

Hair transplantation has changed my life, and every day I’m grateful to my surgeon, but I would be fooling everyone if I said it was perfect. We should never chase perfection with surgery, the goal should always be to gain a cosmetic improvement, not perfection.

• Like 1

View my thread

11 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Posts like these aren’t as popular, because they dash some folks dreams. At the same time, when unknowing patients come here upset posting photos with wet and damp hair, and their hairline spread apart, it’s because no one told them the truth or the reality.

Hair transplantation has changed my life, and every day I’m grateful to my surgeon, but I would be fooling everyone if I said it was perfect. We should never chase perfection with surgery, the goal should always be to gain a cosmetic improvement, not perfection.

Great advice. Hair transplantation has changed my life for the better too, the best thing I’ve ever done. As much as I’m really happy with my result, it’s not perfect and in different lighting conditions can look stronger and weaker.

B9238FEF-D525-4548-844A-6A4F01BFBBC9.jpeg

36CD30CF-2E38-47C0-A1BE-41405262095E.jpeg

F537293E-8520-4E45-A0FA-E07485EE3EC6.jpeg

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Great advice. Hair transplantation has changed my life for the better too, the best thing I’ve ever done. As much as I’m really happy with my result, it’s not perfect and in different lighting conditions can look stronger and weaker.

B9238FEF-D525-4548-844A-6A4F01BFBBC9.jpeg

36CD30CF-2E38-47C0-A1BE-41405262095E.jpeg

F537293E-8520-4E45-A0FA-E07485EE3EC6.jpeg

Excellent post, you got 10/10 results, great illustration how lighting, hairstyles, etc can have an impact on the appearance of density. 

• Like 3

View my thread

I seem to recall you saying in a previous post you were a NW 6 starting your HT journey.. Judging by your first pic.. You're being a bit hard on yourself.. 

That's NW 4 into 5 territory from what I can gather 

Z

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Zoomster said:

I seem to recall you saying in a previous post you were a NW 6 starting your HT journey.. Judging by your first pic.. You're being a bit hard on yourself.. 

That's NW 4 into 5 territory from what I can gather 

Z

I had some wispy hairs left, but the pattern was clear,  Norwood 6 unfortunately 😢

View my thread

Excellent post.  Thank you.  This is really important for guys who are contemplating getting a HT.  My hair is the same.  Some days, it looks absolutely amazing (compared to where I started).  But then the wind blows mightily and exposes the reality.  But I'll take it still.  BTW, your hair looks great, Melvin.  Thanks for your good work on this forum.

• Like 1

Melvin, thanks so much for sharing this, this simple post showed so much more about who you are and really has demonstrated a great human side to you that is rare. Really well done for this and to the others who shared. I was blown away by the attitude. 

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 83mjs said:

Thanks for this reminder. Melvin your hairline design is superb. Your surgeon knocked it out of the park!

Thank you, I agree, he did a fantastic job, and each day I’m grateful.

View my thread

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Tao said:

Excellent post.  Thank you.  This is really important for guys who are contemplating getting a HT.  My hair is the same.  Some days, it looks absolutely amazing (compared to where I started).  But then the wind blows mightily and exposes the reality.  But I'll take it still.  BTW, your hair looks great, Melvin.  Thanks for your good work on this forum.

Absolutely, it’s all about self-improvement. We should always remind ourselves where we started, even though it may never be perfect, it’s hell of a lot better than before. Happy growing man 🙌🏼

View my thread

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, sl said:

Melvin, thanks so much for sharing this, this simple post showed so much more about who you are and really has demonstrated a great human side to you that is rare. Really well done for this and to the others who shared. I was blown away by the attitude. 

Thanks mate, 

I really appreciate the kind words 🙏🏼

• Thanks 1

View my thread

This is a very helpful post @Melvin-Moderator. Do you think the results would look better with a shorter hair style. There are almost no pictures of people with transplants and having short hair styles.

I’ve been scouring the internet but cannot seem to find an example.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Pyrat said:

This is a very helpful post @Melvin-Moderator. Do you think the results would look better with a shorter hair style. There are almost no pictures of people with transplants and having short hair styles.

I’ve been scouring the internet but cannot seem to find an example.

No, they would look a lot worse. You need to keep a certain length that allows for maximum illusion of density. When your hair is short, contrary to popular belief, it looks less dense.

The reason for this is- hair follicles are too short to lay over one another and cover the scalp; more scalp that is visible=looking balder. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
2 hours ago, squarepatch said:

Melvin, can you please upload a few photos of your donor? In similar light as the photos in this thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Struggle said:

Even if it's only an illusion of density the results are still awesome in my opinion. Do someone who is not in hair loss things notice something?

No, I have never had anyone suspect anything. I told my current gf that I had a hair  on our third date, and she was surprised, she couldn't tell at all. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Moderators

Natural hairlines aren't perfect either. It certainly isn't perfect after you've lost a lot of hair. If a hair transplant is done right on someone who has lost a lot of hair it will give you a nice improvement. It comes down to the question of what would you rather look like, the before picture or the after picture. Taking a look at Melvins photos you can see there's a little bit of thinness throughout the entire area, but if you were him, which would you rather look like, his before photo or his after photo?

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Very true post. I think a lot of people including me at the start thought I’d be coming out with the perfect hairline, but you do need to be realistic. As long as it’s a good improvement from the before photo, that’s the main thing for me