Results - 3200 FUT into front third with Scott Alexander

Surgery results. The procedure went well. I arrived early in the morning. The procedure took around 9 hours, with a break for lunch.

The only complaint I would have is partially my own fault. I was having discomfort during the procedure, but was managing my way through it by breathing. This ended up wearing my down a bit and the stress was causing bleeding.

The staff straightened me out and I was more communicative about pain after that. They kept me numb and finished the procedure. The night after was not fun. It was hard to sleep as there was no side of my head to lay on. I tried an airplane pillow, but only ended up with about 4 hours sleep.

right-after.jpg

back-after.jpg

top-after.jpg

front-after.jpg

left-after.jpg

crown-after.jpg

End of week 1.

Random details:

• Only needed pain killers for sleeping the first three nights
  • At the end of the week, the stitches were removed. During the follow up, I was instructed to be a little more persuasive with head massage while showering. This successfully removed the scabs
  • Started fin+min on day 8

front-week1.jpg

top-week1.jpg

left-week1.jpg

right-week1.jpg

back-week1.jpg

crown-week1.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks for posting, Dr. Alexander is a great doctor you chose a quality surgeon. I look forward to seeing your progress happy growing 😃

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Week 2 in the books. Random details:

• Shedding has started
  • Fin+Min is going well...no side effects to report
  • I knew the thinness of my donor area would be an issue and I need to respond well to meds, so I'm trying to be patient about scar coverage...good thin I can stay home during the quarantine

front_week2.jpg

top_week2.jpg

left_week2.jpg

right_week2.jpg

back_week2.jpg

crown_week2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

30 day update. No side effects from the medication and the shedding is slowing down.

I knew my hair was thin, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to cover the FUT scar. We'll see how things progress though. The shock loss under the scar seems to be lessening a bit, but is still glaringly obvious. I also think the hair line is going to end up really high; it seems like I have a lot of forehead still. The plan is still to do two more surgeries, one to fill the crown and another to lower the hairline if I have the donor hair. But wow the donor area is thin.

People say the ugly duckling phase is difficult and I'm definitely finding that to be true.

front_30days.jpg

crown_30days.jpg

back_30days.jpg

right_30days.jpg

left_30days.jpg

top_30days.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

60 day update:

• Supplement routine: Finasteride 1mg daily; Rogaine twice daily. Biotin 10k mg once daily
  • Started microneedling three weeks ago with a Dr Pen A6...I'm only doing the donor areas and crown. The recipient area is left to heal. I'm definitely seeing hairs on the crown that weren't in the earlier pictures.
  • Starting to see hairs come up all over the recipient area
  • Got a fairly aggressive haircut two weeks ago as I wanted to see how low I could go while still working from home in quarantine. The barber said she couldn't see the line, but my iPhone picture definitely showed it. I'm going to grow now with no cuts until 90 days
  • The donor area is so thin below the transplant scar...I know there is some shock loss, but at this point I'm on the fence about any future surgeries. What are your opinions?

The hardest part of this process is cutting off all dating. When I go places I always wear a hat. All of my old dating profile pictures were of me completely shaved bald, so I don't have a good set with friends, etc that I can use. Have people found success dating through the ugly duckling phase? My original plan was to wait six months completely off the market, and that is still the plan, but quarantine is getting to me a bit.

top_60days.jpg

front_60days.jpg

right_60days.jpg

left_60days.jpg

back_60days.jpg

crown_60days.jpg

On 4/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, baldforalongtime said:

Surgery results. The procedure went well. I arrived early in the morning. The procedure took around 9 hours, with a break for lunch.

The only complaint I would have is partially my own fault. I was having discomfort during the procedure, but was managing my way through it by breathing. This ended up wearing my down a bit and the stress was causing bleeding.

The staff straightened me out and I was more communicative about pain after that. They kept me numb and finished the procedure. The night after was not fun. It was hard to sleep as there was no side of my head to lay on. I tried an airplane pillow, but only ended up with about 4 hours sleep.

right-after.jpg

back-after.jpg

top-after.jpg

front-after.jpg

left-after.jpg

crown-after.jpg

Hello how old are you? Did the excess bleeding cause any issues during the surgery?

2 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Hello how old are you? Did the excess bleeding cause any issues during the surgery?

I'm 44. The excess bleeding made the surgery take a little longer and led to a lot of scabbing, but nothing else adverse that I've identified so far. I'm only two month post so the results are still unknown. Since I had a few larger scabs, I was hesitant to remove them after the 7th day. The staff recommended I scrub a little more vigorously when they removed the stitches, so I did in the shower after soaking the scabs in Neosporin for 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, baldforalongtime said:

I'm 44. The excess bleeding made the surgery take a little longer and led to a lot of scabbing, but nothing else adverse that I've identified so far. I'm only two month post so the results are still unknown. Since I had a few larger scabs, I was hesitant to remove them after the 7th day. The staff recommended I scrub a little more vigorously when they removed the stitches, so I did in the shower after soaking the scabs in Neosporin for 30 minutes.

Was the extent of the scanning shown in those previous pics? Did it get worse cause it doesn’t look that bad

36 minutes ago, LonelyGraft said:

Was the extent of the scanning shown in those previous pics? Did it get worse cause it doesn’t look that bad

The scabbing wasn't terrible, but on the front left thick enough that I didn't dare scrub them after seven days. Here is the day after surgery:

scabbing.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldforalongtime said:

The scabbing wasn't terrible, but on the front left thick enough that I didn't dare scrub them after seven days. Here is the day after surgery:

scabbing.jpg

Doesn’t look too bad to be honest. I’ve seen far worse 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, squarepatch said:

Hey mate, looks like the frontal third is coming along nicely. Hopefully it goes off over the next couple of months. 

The scar is not too bad, a bit of smp down the track can hide it hopefully 

Thanks @squarepatch...I've found a good place for SMP where I live and will probably go that route after I'm done having surgeries.

At this point, the hair is coming in nicely and I'm hopeful to achieve a satisfactory density. The good thing about a short haircut on the sides is that it gives uniform scalp exposure all the way around and, to me, looks more balanced.

Things I'm pleased about at this point:

• The crown is growing in way better than what I expected. Microneedling+Fin+Min seem to be working a bit
  • Framing of my face...it makes a huge difference
  • Getting to brush hair again

• Administrators

Looks like you’re in for a great result 👍🏼 Keep us updated, and happy growing man, isn’t it nice to see hair growing back 😀

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

120 days. Updates of note:

• Had to stop finasteride for a while. Anxiety and panic started about 30 days after starting it and I held on for as long as I could. There are a ton of other factors that could be causing the anxiety - had a breakup at the end of February, been quarantined since March, selling my house. So I'm going off for 30 days and then will start back up
  • I'm still microneedling the sides, back, and crown weekly at 1.5mm
  • I don't see much new hair sprouting any more. I'm hoping more pops up and that the front third thickens up a bit more, but I'm happy so far

front_120days.jpg

top_120days.jpg

left_120days.jpg

right_120days.jpg

back_120days.png

crown_120days.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, home1212 said:

WOW, really growing in nicely and you can see the outline of a great result! FUT scar in donor is negligible even at very short hair length - congrats and continued success healing & growing 

The donor scar has really faded in the last month. That haircut is at a three. I might try a two again and see how it goes on next month's cut. I've started dating again and the confidence boost of having hair is fantastic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...