Hair worsening with surgery coming up.

Hi everyone,

I've got a surgery in about 3-4 months, with a top-notch doc who has a 1.5-2 year wait list - but I've noticed a worsening of my hair over the past few months. 

I've been on Fin and Minox for about 3 years, and since I started, it pretty much halted/slowed my loss. 

However, for the past couple of months, I've been experiencing excessive shedding, more than ever - and there are no psychological, physiological, or pharmacological changes that have occured that could account for the shed. 

I've also finally noticed more recession in my frontal region (NW3). 

Basically, I booked the appointment when it appeared my loss had stabilised, now it may be getting worse. 

The Dr still feels fine to continue, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned with? I don't want to post-pone the appointment, but I'm worried about losing a lot post-op, and also shock loss.

Any advice is welcome, and I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Cheers.

• Moderators

Well if you had your transplant a year ago, you'd still be losing that hair now and you'd be looking at another transplant to fill in the additional loss. If you wait another year or two, you will still lose whatever hair you are going to lose from now until then and you won't have any new hair growing in to offset it. If you go now (3-4 months as scheduled), you already know that there's a real possibility of losing a lot more hair, so perhaps think about going a little more conservative with the hairline and density than you may have originally been thinking of and at the same time try to place some grafts into the lesser thinning areas that you think may be losing hair soon, so you can try to hold off needing another transplant for a while longer.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

It could be a seasonal shed, or the hair can be shedding due to the medications. Are you noticing a decrease in hair? Hair shedding doesn't equal hair loss. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, I thought the same thing Melvin...probably a shed cycle.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY