NANOXIDIL

• Administrators

What is it exactly? My suspicion is that it must not work, if no one has talked about it in 10 years. There have been some topical solutions that seemed to be all the rage, I recall RU58841 used to be talked about all the time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:52 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

What is it exactly? My suspicion is that it must not work, if no one has talked about it in 10 years. There have been some topical solutions that seemed to be all the rage, I recall RU58841 used to be talked about all the time.

I was hoping you would know lol Seems like an alternative to Minoxidil without side effects. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Lots of these new things start like wildfire, then die down because they usually don't work or are just scams for money.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
On 3/31/2020 at 9:10 AM, Shifty said:

I was hoping you would know lol Seems like an alternative to Minoxidil without side effects. 

I'd be very weary of anything that tries to sound like a proven treatment. These treatments are usually bogus and they're trying to capitalize on the reputation of the proven product. For example, 'naturalpecia' or 'winasteride' lol

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:52 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would have not mentioned this if the pubmed article didn't exist from April of last year. 

bstract

BACKGROUND:

Female pattern hair loss (FPHL) is increasing ly common and often presents with hair shedding. Spec tral. DNC-N® contains anti-inflammatory actives and hair growth promoters.

OBJECTIVES:

To assess the efficacy and tolerability of Spectral DNC-N® (DS Laboratories, Inc.) in women with early FPHL and excessive shedding.

METHODS:

Forty-nine patients were treated with Spectral DNC-N®, applied twice daily for 3 months; 28 patients were included in the 3-month treatment extension. Efficacy assessments included the degree of hair shedding using the validated hair shedding visual scale, hair mass index (HMI), and photographic evaluation.

RESULTS:

There was a statistically significant decrease in hair shedding and a corresponding increase in HMI by month 3, which was maintained through month 6. The mean investigator-assessed hair shedding score decreased from 3.5 to 2.0 and the hair mass increased from 75.8 to 84.3 mm>sup<2>/sup</cm>sup<2>/sup< by month 3 (both p < 0.01 compared with baseline). By month 6, the hair shedding score was reduced to 1.6 and the hair mass was maintained. Most patients (75%) showed an increase in global hair density.

CONCLUSIONS:

Spectral. DNC-N® significantly reduced hair shedding, with a corresponding increase in hair mass and density. These effects were already evident after 3 months' treatment and further improved in those patients who continued treatment to month 6. Tolerability was good and patient satisfaction levels were high.

• Like 1

So study shows the product works, but how does it compare to minoxidil? Minoxidil also works and you can get it for a lot cheaper than Spectral DNC-N, so if it's not that much better then it's not worth it

There's so many other products out there... there's also Trioxidil, but you can't even find any mention of it on forums anywhere

19 hours ago, Fantaz said:

So study shows the product works, but how does it compare to minoxidil? Minoxidil also works and you can get it for a lot cheaper than Spectral DNC-N, so if it's not that much better then it's not worth it

There's so many other products out there... there's also Trioxidil, but you can't even find any mention of it on forums anywhere

If someone can find the comparable Minoxidil case study that would be great.

Also for people who maybe had side effect issues with Minox and had to stop, this might be a good look into as it states zero side effects. 

Is there really such a thing as no side effects?...every medication has some side effects!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 years later...

This is an older post but I was looking around for other people who have tried nanoxidil and it seems there are very few.

I’ll share my own experience, but I want to make it clear that I don’t have any concrete evidence that suggests nanoxidil is a viable alternative to minoxidil. What I do know is that they have a VERY similar chemical make-up and nanoxidil is supposedly better at permeating your scalp. With that being said, the studies DS labs references in their advertisements for nanoxidil involve women test subjects and therefore this might mean nanoxidil could not be effective for men. 

I used nanoxidil from 2014-2016. The first year I used it religiously twice a day. Second year was more like once every other day. What I experienced was thicker, stronger hair, virtually no hair shedding, and absolutely no side effects. I was using minoxidil prior to nanoxidil, and my personal experience was that nanoxidil was more effective. I can’t speak to the effect of nanoxidil in depth because there are not enough resources to confirm if it works like minoxidil , but DS labs puts several other ingredients into their topicals which may act like hair stimulants on top of the supposed effect of nanoxidil - that may be the reason I experienced fuller hair during my previous stint with nanoxidil. If you’re curious, I suggest you buy a bottle. It doesn’t take long before you start seeing changes in your hair based on my experience. 

Nice to hear of your significant improvement and am very curious to know exactly what the “active” ingredients are…since you are using the product, will you please inform us exactly what is listed on the bottle?

Gillenator