Can you do FUT after Fue?

Hey guys 

Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.

Just wondering does anyone know if it is possible to do FUT after an Fue procedure ? If so would this have the same utilisation of your donor as Doing fut first then Fue

i know you can do it the other way around !

• Moderators

Yes you can do FUT after having FUE. You will get less grafts from the FUT strip than you normally would because some of the grafts along the strip have already been removed during the FUE procedure.

What is the goal? Did you get poor growth and now deciding to try FUT to get better growth? Did you get good growth, but worried that another FUE will leave you with a very thin donor area? Do you already have a depleted donor from the FUE?

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I am just trying to see whats the best way to get the most out of your donor if you do an fue first. 

Would it be better to do strip after or follow with an fue to get the best utilization of your grafts? 

(People say the best way is to start with a strip then do fue)

just say if you did not start with a strip and started with a fue would there be any benefit of following with a strip this is my question. 

I’m very curious too would love to know the answer. I know if you do Fut first and fue second you would maximise your donor. How about if you did fue then fut would this have a similar effect? 

• Administrators

Yes, it is possible. Check out @Tbcruz thread, he's a prime example of someone who went FUE first and then went FUT.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin 

thanks for your comment.

Do you know if this would have the same benefits as doing fut first or would you be just better off doing fue again if you did fue first ? 

Edited by Coady

I have always believed that the maximum harvest of grafts can be achieved with FUHT and FUE then would subsequently be able to harvest the terminal hair that FUHT would not be able to reach by strip.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

No, clearly IMHO doing FUE first would not have the same benefits.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

I would like to bump this. I don't understand why there is such a big difference between the two orderings.

Say you have a 10x10 box, with 5000 total grafts, 50 grafts per square. Say the best quality grafts come from the middle 2x10 area. Assume you have a good doctor skilled in both FUT and FUE.

You are presented with two different scenarios:

1. FUE 1000 grafts, spread out evenly. This leaves you with 4000 grafts - 40 grafts per square. Then, you harvest 2x10 in the middle of that box, which equates to 800 grafts. This gives you a total of 1800 yielded grafts, with 3200 grafts spread out over the remaining 8x10 area.

2. FUT 2x10 area, 50 grafts per square, which equates to 1000 grafts. Then, you FUE spread out over the remaining 8x10 area, for 800 grafts. Again, this leaves you with 3200 grafts over a 8x10 area.

The only difference I can see is in the second approach, when doing FUE 2nd, you can purposely avoid extracting near the FUT scar, to make it less visible. But how much of a difference does this really make?

But say you find out that you only need one procedure. In the first approach, the downside is that you may be selecting some lower quality grafts (but is it enough of a difference with a good doctor? probably not). In the second approach, the downside is that you have a linear scar which is more obvious than FUE scarring at shorter hair lengths, and you may just scar badly with FUT due to your physiology.

Given this, I feel like I would lean towards starting off with FUE if there's a possibility of not needing the extra grafts that come from FUT. Even if I do need those grafts, the option will always be there.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

The only difference I can see is in the second approach, when doing FUE 2nd, you can purposely avoid extracting near the FUT scar, to make it less visible. But how much of a difference does this really make?

If you only do a small FUE session and then switch to FUT, then it may not matter so much. If you do 3000 or more FUE then it's going to make more of a difference.

5 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

I feel like I would lean towards starting off with FUE if there's a possibility of not needing the extra grafts that come from FUT. Even if I do need those grafts, the option will always be there.

It doesn't usually work out that way in real life. If you have FUE and it turns out well then in a few years when more grafts are needed just about everyone would go with FUE again. Why wouldn't they? It worked well the first time with no linear scar and perhaps no noticeable difference in the thickness of the donor area. Some years down the road after a few FUE sessions when the person starts getting some donor depletion and still wants/needs more work done, it's not a good idea at that point to switch to FUT because the scar will be much harder to hide with less donor hair around it, plus you won't get much good hair from the FUT strip anyway because much of the hair has already been removed with FUE. On top of that since the person has getting older now it may become more acceptable to them to shave their head if they have to because they are no longer trying to fit in as a 20 something year old. That is probably not the best time to switch to FUT for most people.

There's really no right or wrong answer on choosing FUT vs FUE. It really depends on what the patient is looking for and where they think they may be heading and what type of hair styles are acceptable to them. You really have to try to think down the road to the future about what you think you will want. You have to be honest with yourself and not just say you won't care when you get older.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.