1000 graft fue dr diep

MrAr

Started this acct just to help others like me . I did a lot of research and there’s a lot mixed reviews. I’m just going to share what others did with there experiences that helped me on my journey to getting a hair transplant and I’ll be posting updates to share results and experiences. So I had my transplant March 26 2020 . originally scheduled for 800 grafts . After surgery I was told we did about 1003 grafts . I really wanted my hairline lower but due to funds I just filled in the corners . And maybe potentially lower the hairline some more in future. 

8EC38AAB-DA2E-464A-9FDD-0D1FF6CB4D9A.png

645F88EF-3429-46AE-87FF-FBD8A95C4FA3.jpeg

3D0E0997-7E1F-4FBE-AD30-1EDD759A2800.jpeg

60C78268-132A-4D7A-8C18-7EC45975D384.jpeg

D92FDCFA-F917-401F-A816-62AB39D527F8.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

donor area seems uneven.

any idea why he took more from the right side than the left...?

Hey how’s it going thanx for inquiring . I’m not sure ? He took them out damn fast I know that for sure I say about hr or so if that .but Idk Y he did it that way . I asked myself the same thing when I went got back home .I mentioned I wanted to get my temples and lower my hairline some more in future . Maybe save some on left ? Lol .. it looked off to me too .. this is all new to me any tips on after care or in general much appreciated ! 

Cant think of a single good reason why you'd take 1000 FUE's from an area representing maybe only 20% of the available donor zone. Can anybody?

I can think of a BAD reason........which is its quicker and more convenient for the doctor.

Thoughts?

Edited by pre-screened
edit
  • Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, pre-screened said:

Cant think of a single good reason why you'd take 1000 FUE's from an area representing maybe only 20% of the available donor zone. Can anybody?

I can think of a BAD reason........which is its quicker and more convenient for the doctor.

Thoughts?

Dr. Diep does this to preserve donor for future surgeries, and reduce the scarring. FUE intrinsically reduces the overall density and he believes it’s best to leave a portion of the scalp virgin, for future surgeries.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin-Moderator my thoughts as well . Especially after speaking with him and letting him know I’d probably want another 1300 .. later on @Egy& lohvisa I agree the reasoning makes sense . But I guess we’ll all get to see soon . I hope not . I trust the guys experience I hope I wasn’t wrong . This shot before surgery

BEF027D9-6D99-4818-ADA3-BEFFA1FA1A5B.png

Edited by Dadda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Dr. Diep does this to preserve donor for future surgeries, and reduce the scarring. FUE intrinsically reduces the overall density and he believes it’s best to leave a portion of the scalp virgin, for future surgeries.

That makes absolutely no sense and if it did there would be many other doctors that would adopt that theory as well. I have a feeling that it makes extractions quicker for him that’s y he does it that way

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PlzRespond said:

That makes absolutely no sense and if it did there would be many other doctors that would adopt that theory as well. I have a feeling that it makes extractions quicker for him that’s y he does it that way

Makes a little sense being that I’m going to need about the same amount of graphs and he can just take them from the left . But I agree with you as well because now that we are talking about time and convenience . He was running behind ,I was suppose to be attended to at 8 am didn’t start till 10 am & finished around/little after 11 ... so idk for whatever the reason strategically done for a good purpose or him trying to speed through it . I just hope it comes out great . Also like to add he only extracted and had his teq do the implants wich took a while but she was really nice and I Didn’t have a problem with it  . But yeah  that is the whole reason for this thread to inform .  Here’s some better shots of donor .I’ll be posting  weekly updates 

E41C8885-94E2-4DAF-8D01-D59B4A1447AA.jpeg

3E2636EB-FC65-4890-88C2-F7D5916CE400.jpeg

Edited by Dadda
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, follically challenged said:

Many patients have spoken negatively of Diep's harvesting. I think this is one reason he never shows the FUE donor area on the videos. 

What are you talking about, I literally found dozens with a quick search on YouTube. 

@Dadda check out @FUEblonde1985 thread, he had the same reservations, and you’ll notice people in the beginning of the thread, said his donor was done, but at the end, it wasn’t noticeable at all. 

Anyways, all of this is a moot point, since you’ve already had surgery. I really hope you keep us updated and happy growing. 

4A8E9676-BC8E-48A0-8AD7-C98CABB73A07.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

It doesn't even matter what any doctor shows on his website or youtube channel. We all know all of them always use their best results. The problem at hand is the regular individual like @Dadda whose donor area was unevenly extracted due to lack of timing or whichever reason it was, whose fue donor area he definitely will not post on his youtube channel or website. That's why we have forums like these.

• Like 1

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Lohvisa said:

It doesn't even matter what any doctor shows on his website or youtube channel. We all know all of them always use their best results. The problem at hand is the regular individual like @Dadda whose donor area was unevenly extracted due to lack of timing or whichever reason it was, whose fue donor area he definitely will not post on his youtube channel or website. That's why we have forums like these.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that, as we don’t know how the scarring will look in the end. I posted an example of @FUEblonde1985 and everyone said the same thing, at the end his donor looked good, and the patient, while initially skeptical himself mentioned it was not an issue for him.

I would caution the forum in making  dogmatic statements/assumptions without waiting the appropriate time. It’s impossible to know right now, we’ll have to wait and see how it turns out. 

That said, I agree that’s why these forums are important, because you get no nonsense information, without hype. Healthy debate is good, and encouraged. 

View my thread

My opinion remains the same - no good reason to do this. It exposes the patient to the possibility that an area of donor will look depleted as compared to non-harvested areas.The best way to ensure pristine donor in the future is to be (skillful, slow and precise while using small punches (not 1mm). If a FUE doctor is so concerned about preserving virgin areas for future use it suggests to me that he's achieving none of those in his extraction technique.

While were on the topic - from the photos I would also say that Diep has gone way to HIGH also in the area harvested............almost into the crown area and for sure has gone outside the consensus accepted safe zone for extraction. 

• Like 2

'Dogmatic statements'?  i wouldn't say dogmatic, just saying what I've seen written by patients

And yes you found some donor examples but Diep rarely shows donor area on the patients results videos. Compared to the thousands of videos he has uploaded relatively few of them have a close inspection of the donor area. That isn't my opinion it is a fact.

As for 'cautions'... I thought this was a forum to share opinions of hair surgeons..?

I had a 1300 graft FUE with Dr. Diep back in February and he harvested in a similar manner. It wasn’t a one-off decision because he was running late in @Dadda’s case. 

I do think that the large punch size and uneven donor harvesting are not ideal. My decision to go with Dr. Diep was mainly based on the results he is able to achieve in the transplanted area. My preference would be for him to evolve his technique or better articulate why he is doing it so differently from other doctors. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tentpole91 said:

I had a 1300 graft FUE with Dr. Diep back in February and he harvested in a similar manner. It wasn’t a one-off decision because he was running late in @Dadda’s case. 

I do think that the large punch size and uneven donor harvesting are not ideal. My decision to go with Dr. Diep was mainly based on the results he is able to achieve in the transplanted area. My preference would be for him to evolve his technique or better articulate why he is doing it so differently from other doctors. 

I couldn’t agree with you more @Tentpole91, it’s crazy your topic/thread was 1 I was looking at right before my surgery lol . Did you get a lot of shock loss?? 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, Dadda said:

Started this acct just to help others like me . I did a lot of research and there’s a lot mixed reviews. I’m just going to share what others did with there experiences that helped me on my journey to getting a hair transplant and I’ll be posting updates to share results and experiences. So I had my transplant March 26 2020 . originally scheduled for 800 grafts . After surgery I was told we did about 1003 grafts . I really wanted my hairline lower but due to funds I just filled in the corners . And maybe potentially lower the hairline some more in future. 

8EC38AAB-DA2E-464A-9FDD-0D1FF6CB4D9A.png

645F88EF-3429-46AE-87FF-FBD8A95C4FA3.jpeg

3D0E0997-7E1F-4FBE-AD30-1EDD759A2800.jpeg

60C78268-132A-4D7A-8C18-7EC45975D384.jpeg

D92FDCFA-F917-401F-A816-62AB39D527F8.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. 

what is your age and are you on fin/minox? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Thought the same. Also wondered as it was refined hairline work why Diep didnt extract the singles/finer hairs from above the ears. 

IMO Diep does seem to often run his harvest a bit too far up. 

the asymmetric harvesting pattern is less than ideal as well. Definite potential for that to impact the aesthetics of the donor area. 

All that said, I suspect the OP’s hairline is going to look great in 9 months. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 11:51 PM, yesplease said:

Thanks for sharing. 

what is your age and are you on fin/minox? 

Of course and thank you for your input @yesplease I just turned 30 last month . I started receding around 19 and continued to about 28 .These last couple years I haven’t noticed much hair loss if any . I have never taken any medication/shampoos for hair loss However I did get a fin/minoxidil combo to start soon . My donor area is looking like it’s healing quit well . I’ll edit/post pic soon 

Edited by Dadda

7 days post op . Little to no scabbing and Still little sensitivity in donor area but other than that everything seems to be good. I just recieved my finasteride in mail today . Thinking making it in to a topical . Anyone have info on that ? I really don’t want to ingest it. 

98A005DE-E254-4C6A-A12D-12C0CF57F8D4.jpeg

4A152BC3-73BB-4969-9253-B736EE8E2C30.jpeg

D9D56CCD-F4F3-437F-9112-E2CED6CA49E0.jpeg

7D49BA90-E8C7-4FD2-B364-5D787F86347B.jpeg