Is it common to lose a few transplanted hairs at 7 months post-op?

I’m 7 months post-op, and whenever I apply rogaine foam, I noticed that 1 or 2 transplanted hairs will fall out. Is this a normal occurrence? I thought since the hairs had entered the anagen phase, they wouldn’t fall out for 2-6 years. Any help would be appreciated. 

are you sure they're not native hair?

if your sure they're transplanted, I've seen a few cases where this exact situation happens. They eventually grow back but it definitely is unexpected

Edited by hairlossPA

thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure it’s transplanted hair because my native hair is much longer (over 6 inches). So, in your experience, even losing 1 or 2 transplanted hairs per day is unusual?

• Administrators

Can you post some pictures? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

thanks for the reply, melvin.

photographs won’t capture the phenomenon, as the shed is rather light. as I mentioned, I only lose a few hairs during the rogaine application. thus, there hasn’t been a noticeable difference in appearance. I was just wondering if it’s normal to lose a few transplanted hairs throughout the day (as you would native hair). Or, alternatively, should I be concerned, given that the hairs follicles should be in the anagen phase?

thanks everyone!

16 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

not sure if this is the same situation as you, but it was the one I was looking for: 

thanks for the info! I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on that thread

5 hours ago, rhal22 said:

thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure it’s transplanted hair because my native hair is much longer (over 6 inches). So, in your experience, even losing 1 or 2 transplanted hairs per day is unusual?

Possibly some of it is native hair that already shed post-op and is now in another new growth phase.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

17 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Possibly some of it is native hair that already shed post-op and is now in another new growth phase.

yeah, that’s definitely a plausible theory. if it is transplanted hair, should I be concerned? if you were 7 months post-op and lost 1 or 2 transplanted hairs while applying rogaine, would you be alarmed?

• Moderators

You're always going to be losing hairs and having new ones grow in. Unless it's excessive or starts to have a noticeable difference in density then I wouldn't worry about it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

6 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

You're always going to be losing hairs and having new ones grow in. Unless it's excessive or starts to have a noticeable difference in density then I wouldn't worry about it.

ok that’s good to know. I just wasn’t sure if I should be concerned since, at 7 months post-op, the hairs should theoretically all be in the anagen phase, which means they shouldn’t fall out for 2-6 years. but, according to you, losing a few hairs, even at 7 months post-op, is perfectly normal?

thanks for the help!

At any point in time, hair is in one of three phases...either growth (anagen),  dormancy (telogen),  or shedding (catagen).

And this is because hair grows intermittently and further why it takes 12-15 months post-op to reach full maturation of any procedure.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 3/27/2020 at 4:46 PM, rhal22 said:

yeah, that’s definitely a plausible theory. if it is transplanted hair, should I be concerned? if you were 7 months post-op and lost 1 or 2 transplanted hairs while applying rogaine, would you be alarmed?

As respectfully as I can say this, it's a proven scientific reality...and no I was never alarmed when I lost a few transplanted hairs from time to time...I mean it happens to all of us who have sustained a HT procedure(s).

Gillenator

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2020 at 4:47 PM, rhal22 said:

in other words, is it normal to occasionally shed transplanted hairs at 7 months post-op? thanks!

How have things going for you over the past month?

Gillenator