Three Common Issues That Are Normal After A Hair Transplant

• Administrators

I decided to make this video, because these are common questions on the forum. I'm thinking I may make this a sticky.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
57 minutes ago, Kruchie said:

@Melvin-Moderator Thanks for this video! I definitely feel better for watching it. Did you ever make it a sticky? 

I forgot too, but I just did.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the video these problem also come to my uncle, and he loss with in 3 month but after that the new hair are grown and he will take the breath of relax, and after when the new hairs are coming. This is an interesting video and i came to learn the new things.

Great video @Melvin-Moderator

Some good and important points discussed. Thanks for that.

An important point also whilst not time specific is that you may not have growth at 4 months and may not have 60-80% at 5 months. Those percentages have no particular relevance but what is far more prevalent now in an age of demanding instant gratification is a lack of patience. Im a patient myself, I completely understand that everybody ideally wants to be an early grower, but the term early grower is coined because early growers grow earlier than the average patient. 

With social media marketing showing amazing early growth in some patients, which could well be completely honest, accurate and transparent (but in many cases also perhaps not), very early growth is not the norm for most patients, and despite being clear on this pre surgery, guys can really begin to panic in those early months if they are not amongst the earliest and fastest growers.

Average and slower growth is okay. Again, whilst we all want to be early growers, the motivation for surgery was the final result. Not the result at 4 months, or 8 months, but the result the patient achieves between 12 - 15 months. This extra anxiety can be a real problem for individuals who may already be lacking in self confidence. 

Trust the process, remain in constant correspondence with your clinic and stay patient.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the video Melvin. Im 8 days post op and have a lot of scabs. Was wondering if its too early to begin trying your method of letting conditioner rest on the scalp a bit and then massage them away? Currently ive been doing likewarm water/baby shampoo in a cup over my head and then washing with light circular massages. Been doing that since post op day 3.

• 1 month later...

I think the lost challenging aspect post-op is the wait for full regrowth to take place and the challenge to keep the procedure secret for those who do not want others to know.

But sometimes the best things are worth waiting for especially if the procedure ends up being a huge success and the result is transforming for the individual. 

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 8:31 AM, Brad189 said:

Thanks for the video Melvin. Im 8 days post op and have a lot of scabs. Was wondering if its too early to begin trying your method of letting conditioner rest on the scalp a bit and then massage them away? Currently ive been doing likewarm water/baby shampoo in a cup over my head and then washing with light circular massages. Been doing that since post op day 3.

The crusts are obviously removed and gone by now...it is a good idea to use shampoo or conditioner, and allowing it to soak and soften the crusts for approximately 10 minutes before removing them.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Nice video @Melvin-Moderator

The canals can certainly be worrying to some people and it is perfectly normal. I am just trying to still understand why it happens to some people but not others. Might well be inappropriate washing?

I find olive oil to be amazing in removing all crusts. I ask everyone to start dabbing it over the crusts at 7 days post op. By the time they come for their 10 days wash, they peel nicely (if they were compliant with that). 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
10 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Nice video @Melvin-Moderator

The canals can certainly be worrying to some people and it is perfectly normal. I am just trying to still understand why it happens to some people but not others. Might well be inappropriate washing?

I find olive oil to be amazing in removing all crusts. I ask everyone to start dabbing it over the crusts at 7 days post op. By the time they come for their 10 days wash, they peel nicely (if they were compliant with that). 

In my experience, it’s a result of congealed blood and liquid that dries, and after a few days starts to crack as the scabs form. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Never thought of using olive oil...I suppose it could keep the area softened and more moist until removal time.

Gillenator

4 hours ago, gillenator said:

Never thought of using olive oil...I suppose it could keep the area softened and more moist until removal time.

Yes indeed. I use it few days before the 10 day wash and in some patients for the donor when the itch starts. It’s cheap, available and natural. 👍🏼👍🏼

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, baldiee said:

will hair still re-grow from those empty "canals" area? 

Yes

• Like 2

View my thread

On 12/9/2020 at 12:33 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Yes indeed. I use it few days before the 10 day wash and in some patients for the donor when the itch starts. It’s cheap, available and natural. 👍🏼👍🏼

So can olive oil also reduce itching?

Gillenator

9 minutes ago, gillenator said:

So can olive oil also reduce itching?

Yes I usually give the options of either olive oil or aloe vera. I find that one of them will work better from one person to the other. But yes it does help with itch in many people. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I have not tried olive oil however I can say first hand that aloe vera works superbly for post-op itching and also cools the area very nicely...😉

• Like 1

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

As long as a clean warm washcloth is used to pop those pimples, generally it's fine....I also recommend using an alcohol pad to wipe the area after the fluid is cleaned off to help prevent infection.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...

It also cools the scalp and can help with inflammation.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Aloe Vera use can be started after the crusts are gone.

Gillenator