Topical Dutasteride

mustang

I have a few questions:

1. Does topical finasteride or dut work better than oral?

2. Would adding topical finasteride or dut work better in conjunction taking oral fin? 

Clearly, topical works. 

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023. 

Topical Dutasteride works better than both oral and topical finasteride

Topical Finasteride is as effective as oral Finasteride but has the same side effect profile as it becomes vascularized and goes sysmetic.

Topical Dutasteride is the safest option and the most effective option with the most scalp DHT reduction and the less serum DHT reduction

Mustang-  Everything you said makes sense, except for the last point. How can Topical Dutasteride be safer than topical finasteride?  

I've been using oral fin for the past 15 years.  No sides, and its slowed my hair loss. Would adding Topical fin or Topical Dut to my oral use of Finasteride add any value? 

• Like 1

Hairloss began at age 23. 

Oral Finasteride 1mg daily since 2006, Topical Minoxidil since 2012. Hair transplant 3,400 grafts 2019. Second hair transplant 2,400 grafts in 2023. 

On 3/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, FinallyHT said:

Mustang-  Everything you said makes sense, except for the last point. How can Topical Dutasteride be safer than topical finasteride?  

I've been using oral fin for the past 15 years.  No sides, and its slowed my hair loss. Would adding Topical fin or Topical Dut to my oral use of Finasteride add any value? 

Because it's a larger molecule that doesn't go systemic (only a little bit get's vascularized)

Fin goes systemic entirely.

Topical Fin would make no sense to add, you could add Topical Dutasteride once a week. Don't go higher than 0.1%

On 3/6/2021 at 3:07 PM, win200 said:

Has anyone had issues with getting their topical supplied from Dr. Mwamba's clinic? I first contacted them in late January, couldn't get them to send an order link until February 18th, and STILL haven't gotten shipping confirmation even thought it's been over two weeks since I paid. It makes me worried about getting renewals filled promptly and not running out of product before they can get it together to reply and ship. Trying to be patient, but it seems like they're really disorganized.

Yes, I've had same problem so far. I purchased it a few days ago, still no shipping information. Have you received yours yet?

Just now, caricatura said:

Yes, I've had same problem so far. I purchased it a few days ago, still no shipping information. Have you received yours yet?

No. Followed up with Josh and he said they couldn't find my tracking numbers. He offered to ship a new one and send tracking; that was three days ago and I haven't heard anything. I'm starting to wonder if this is a scam or just complete chaos/incompetence. Beyond frustrating.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, win200 said:

No. Followed up with Josh and he said they couldn't find my tracking numbers. He offered to ship a new one and send tracking; that was three days ago and I haven't heard anything. I'm starting to wonder if this is a scam or just complete chaos/incompetence. Beyond frustrating.

Sorry to hear about that, I believe Dr. Wesley also compounds topical dutasteride. If you want to reach out to him, he’s within the states as well.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, win200 said:

Same. "Josh" said "We will send you a tracking number as soon as it ships." If I don't receive any shipping info. by the end of the week, I'll probably call my credit card company to cancel the order. The website is pretty new, and it all makes me a little suspicious.

2 minutes ago, caricatura said:

Same. "Josh" said "We will send you a tracking number as soon as it ships." If I don't receive any shipping info. by the end of the week, I'll probably call my credit card company to cancel the order. The website is pretty new, and it all makes me a little suspicious.

Yeah. It's worrying that I paid a month ago and haven't gotten tracking info. Even if it's just incompetence and not dishonesty, that's a really egregious mishandling of client funds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, caricatura said:

Also, even if I do get the product, it makes me worry that I won't be able to get refills in a timely way and that I'll run out before they get their act together to ship the refill.

Just now, win200 said:

Also, even if I do get the product, it makes me worry that I won't be able to get refills in a timely way and that I'll run out before they get their act together to ship the refill.

Yes, hopefully they will get their act together soon. After all, Dr. Mwamba is a reputable doctor.

Just now, caricatura said:

Yes, hopefully they will get their act together soon. After all, Dr. Mwamba is a reputable doctor.

Agreed. But this is pretty bad. I first contacted them in mid-January, and here we are, two months later, with no shipping confirmation but $100 out of my pocket.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm very skeptical about this. How does this even work? If these drugs are a 5α-reductase inhibitors, 5AR is what converts T to DHT.  So these drugs do not block DHT directly.

When you put it on top of your head, the DHT is already there acting, theoretically it won't block DHT.

Edited by Phab

On 3/16/2021 at 5:42 PM, win200 said:

Agreed. But this is pretty bad. I first contacted them in mid-January, and here we are, two months later, with no shipping confirmation but $100 out of my pocket.

Were do you live? I also ordered there. Little bit worried now 😅

3 minutes ago, win200 said:

I live in Seattle. Were you given tracking information? I never was.

Ordered yesterday! Contact went smooth. I think your bottle comes from belgium? And didnt got tracking information. From europe here btw! 

Edited by Jeffrey12

On 3/16/2021 at 6:36 PM, Phab said:

I'm very skeptical about this. How does this even work? If these drugs are a 5α-reductase inhibitors, 5AR is what converts T to DHT.  So these drugs do not block DHT directly.

When you put it on top of your head, the DHT is already there acting, theoretically it won't block DHT.

DHT is converted (reduced)from testosterone on the scalp (follicles).

You are blocking the action of the enzyme directly where it occurs and leaving the rest "alone".

"The enzyme 5α-reductase catalyzes the formation of DHT from testosterone in certain tissues including the prostate gland, seminal vesicles, epididymides, skin, hair follicles, liver, and brain."

Just now, Jeffrey12 said:

Nice man! Goodluck and let us know how its going. 

Thanks! You too!

Also, are people applying this whole head? Is it easy to spread out? I've used Rogaine foam in loss areas before, but covering the whole hair area with a solution seems tough.

And the instructions said to refrigerate the bottle, but I assume there's no harm from it being shipped unrefrigerated?

9 minutes ago, win200 said:

Thanks! You too!

Also, are people applying this whole head? Is it easy to spread out? I've used Rogaine foam in loss areas before, but covering the whole hair area with a solution seems tough.

And the instructions said to refrigerate the bottle, but I assume there's no harm from it being shipped unrefrigerated?

Good questions! Maybe someone who knows this. 

42 minutes ago, win200 said:

Thanks! You too!

Did they give you any other instructioned, ie. how much to take? Because I didnt receive any instructions, so glad you mentioned its best to keep in the fridge. 

I think the 90 days is at room temperature 

It can only be effective for longer. I am not clear if it's 90 days from manufacturing or from opening 

I used a bottle that was refrigerated for 4 months from FUE CLINIC and it still worked, it was just milder but still saw a reduction in shedding

Oddly enough the Liposomal from Parati lost complete potency after the 2nd mark and shedding began a few weeks later and it wasn't doing much anymore. I opened another bottle and it worked within weeks.