Topical Dutasteride

mustang

Just want to say I successfully ordered and received topical dut via fue clinic. I’m using it once a week in addition to daily oral finasteride (that I’ve been on for around 15 years). 

Although I got what I paid for, I did have to chase the order up. The first bottle “got lost” but they sent a replacement quickly. We’ll see how the next order goes…

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2022 at 6:15 AM, slowgrow said:

Yes I meant 0.2 and 0.1% my mistake. I was using it once every 2 weeks but for the last 10 months I started a regular weight lifting routine. It causes my body to produce more dht and t so I had to use it more often. Now I'm not saying topical dut doesn't work it certainly does and did for me. If I didn't lift weights or take trt which is testosterone replacement therapy then I probably would still be taking it. 

I wanted to bring up RU58841 on this forum for those that maybe finding topical dut isn't working for them or isn't enough it could be their follicles are sensitive to testosterone in the scalp as well and for that I suggest adding it along side dut see if it works. It is about finding the balance in the scalp and everyone's body is different.

Hi Slowgrow,

Just wondered how you were getting on with RU58841? Is it still working well without side effects?

Happy 2023 and all the best :)

Anyone else any updates, experiences or thoughts on topical dutasteride to add? 

Would be particularly interested if anyone had any input as to side effects (or lack thereof) of topical dut ...especially if they had sides with fin previously ? 

• Like 1

Ive been using since September and having better results than expected. Nothing else changed in my regiment. Currently on topical min and have been for several years and added 0.1% topical dut once a week. I actually did pose a question as a new thread but may be better in here. Does it lose potency at the 4 month mark and if so does it degrade enough to warrant starting a new bottle or just lose a little effectiveness but not enough to make a big difference?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnny129 said:

Ive been using since September and having better results than expected. Nothing else changed in my regiment. Currently on topical min and have been for several years and added 0.1% topical dut once a week. I actually did pose a question as a new thread but may be better in here. Does it lose potency at the 4 month mark and if so does it degrade enough to warrant starting a new bottle or just lose a little effectiveness but not enough to make a big difference?

That's good news for you mate. How are you evaluating its effectiveness? Just your hair visually or counting hairs shed?

Have you ever used finasteride? 

Have you experienced any side effects on the topical dutasteride?

I will let someone else answer your question as I'm not sure on the stability of the solution you're using. 

Edited by Follicle1984

5 hours ago, Johnny129 said:

Not counting shed hairs but more of a visual effect. Not as much scalp visible as there was previously.

So far no sides but have previously used oral fin a few yrs ago and got sides about a month in so came off

That's great. So 5 months no sides. Good going for someone who had sides on fin. 

Think I may finally take the plunge. I'm finding it quite difficult if I'm honest given how unpleasant the fin experience was, and getting worried how long it may take to resolve if it goes wrong (given the half life).

22 hours ago, Johnny129 said:

I'm also wondering about the stability of my topical enthanolic dutasteride 0.05% that I got compounded here in the UK. Its about 6 months old and I've only used it once. I paid quite a lot for it. I'm told the shelf life is 180 days but I'm not inclined to believe that this is true. I bet this stuff is good for a lot longer than this. I read a study showing topical nanoemulsification of dut was good for over 2 years. OK so it may be slightly off 100% but I bet its probably still good to go. I imagine it's more of a marketing thing to get people to restock and pay up again?!

Any thoughts anyone?

Also...

Has anyone read the 2017 study about dutasteride mesotherapy from Spain where they used just 0.01% (0.1mg) of dutasteride and injected this just 3 times (0months, 3 months and 6 months) and then observed at 9 months?

They saw positive results. And did not detect significant differences in hormones from baseline. No reported adverse effects.

Admittedly,  it was a tiny study with just 6 people. However, it is still very interesting to me. It makes me wonder if we could get away with a WAY LOWER dosing frequency. Eg every 3 months like here. With hopefully a very very low chance of side effects.

I have also been reading about the complex pharmacokinetics of dutasteride (parallel linear and nonlinear elimination). It seems its half life is different depending upon dose. The lower the dose the quicker the half life. So maybe using very low doses of 0.1mg or less would also put us into the situation where even if someone reacts badly the drug is more likely to be out of the system quickly.

Edited by Follicle1984

3 hours ago, Follicle1984 said:

I'm also wondering about the stability of my topical enthanolic dutasteride 0.05% that I got compounded here in the UK. Its about 6 months old and I've only used it once. I paid quite a lot for it. I'm told the shelf life is 180 days but I'm not inclined to believe that this is true. I bet this stuff is good for a lot longer than this. I read a study showing topical nanoemulsification of dut was good for over 2 years. OK so it may be slightly off 100% but I bet its probably still good to go. I imagine it's more of a marketing thing to get people to restock and pay up again?!

Any thoughts anyone?

Yeah I bet its good for a lot longer than suggested like a lot of things with expiry or best before dates. Who compounds them here in the UK? Came across one clinic in Birmingham area that does it

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Johnny129 said:

Yeah I bet its good for a lot longer than suggested like a lot of things with expiry or best before dates. Who compounds them here in the UK? Came across one clinic in Birmingham area that does it

I believe Dr. Mwamba has a pharmacy that compounds it, but they have terrible customer service and tracking, so buy at your own risk.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Johnny129 said:

I will try and find the exact company name, but it's by a GP called Dr Brad. Very expensive though. Very! I would buy Dr Mwamba but would rather avoid the hassle of import and have it prescribed here. 

12 hours ago, Follicle1984 said:

I will try and find the exact company name, but it's by a GP called Dr Brad. Very expensive though. Very! I would buy Dr Mwamba but would rather avoid the hassle of import and have it prescribed here. 

Appreciated. Exactly the reason why I was asking!

3 minutes ago, Follicle1984 said:

Not too many responses on this thread these days?!

Why do I get the feeling many people may have abandoned topical dutasteride?! (Sides?? ineffective??)

I think it's a different reason--or, at least, it is for me. It's working for people. Hair ain't falling out, life is busy, less reason to come here and post. It's why people tend to vanish after successful surgeries--they're back to enjoying life and not obsessing about their hair!

So, tl;dr, topical dut is working great for me.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, win200 said:

I think it's a different reason--or, at least, it is for me. It's working for people. Hair ain't falling out, life is busy, less reason to come here and post. It's why people tend to vanish after successful surgeries--they're back to enjoying life and not obsessing about their hair!

So, tl;dr, topical dut is working great for me.

Thanks for this message. That's great that it's working for you. Really pleased. I'm sure you could be right. The successful leave the forums. It does create a negative bias for many treatments when you read on forums. Food for thought. 

May I enquire your dose and frequency? Before you vanish to enjoy life for a bit longer ;) lol

3 hours ago, Follicle1984 said:

Thanks for this message. That's great that it's working for you. Really pleased. I'm sure you could be right. The successful leave the forums. It does create a negative bias for many treatments when you read on forums. Food for thought. 

May I enquire your dose and frequency? Before you vanish to enjoy life for a bit longer ;) lol

Sure! It's one eyedropped full roughly every week, give/take. Losing virtually no hair--just normal cyclical shedding. 

• Thanks 1

Hello I am a bit worried about the results presented in xyon paper about topical duta. There are several people who have experienced increase of serum DHT instead of decrease (3 people for 10 total)

Do you know what happen to people for which duta increase DHT instead of decrease it ? Are the hair are falling in this case ?

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:04 PM, win200 said:

Sure! It's one eyedropped full roughly every week, give/take. Losing virtually no hair--just normal cyclical shedding. 

Thank you for this information.

Glad it's working for you.

I've started very low dose and figured I should only increase in small increments every 5 weeks. That way you are not dosing a new dose beyond the length of the half life of the dutasteride. 

I started at 0.1mg (which is 0.2ml.of my 0.05% solution) every week). Nearly 4 weeks in. No sides but still shedding heavily as before I started it.

I guess I should increase to 0.2mg every week after the 5 week mark. I hope to find the sweet spot in the safest manner I can. I still figure, if dut mesotherapy is dosed 0.1mg every month, then a lot of the topical doses seem too high and or too frequent. I believe the general theory is you absorb about 10% of a topical through the skin (although dependent on several factors such as skin location and hydration level...wet skin absorbing at a higher rate). But by this logic, one should be able to take 1mg topically per month to absorb the 0.1mg required in dut mesotherapy. So maybe 0.25mg every week may be a sweet spot dose. Who knows.

Interestingly I've noticed Dr Mwamba FUE topical dut is now dosed 0.05%...this has been reduced from 0.1% right??? I presume there must have been some reported some effects. I mean when you read the studies, even low dose dut mesotherapy reduced sperm counts in some with these tiny doses of 0.1mg every month or so. 

Therefore, the half life of this stuff does worry me quite a bit. I do feel slightly like I'm playing with fire. 

Edited by Follicle1984

2 hours ago, Follicle1984 said:

Thank you for this information.

Glad it's working for you.

I've started very low dose and figured I should only increase in small increments every 5 weeks. That way you are not dosing a new dose beyond the length of the half life of the dutasteride. 

I started at 0.1mg (which is 0.2ml.of my 0.05% solution) every week). Nearly 4 weeks in. No sides but still shedding heavily as before I started it.

I guess I should increase to 0.2mg every week after the 5 week mark. I hope to find the sweet spot in the safest manner I can. I still figure, if dut mesotherapy is dosed 0.1mg every month, then a lot of the topical doses seem too high and or too frequent. I believe the general theory is you absorb about 10% of a topical through the skin (although dependent on several factors such as skin location and hydration level...wet skin absorbing at a higher rate). But by this logic, one should be able to take 1mg topically per month to absorb the 0.1mg required in dut mesotherapy. So maybe 0.25mg every week may be a sweet spot dose. Who knows.

Interestingly I've noticed Dr Mwamba FUE topical dut is now dosed 0.05%...this has been reduced from 0.1% right??? I presume there must have been some reported some effects. I mean when you read the studies, even low dose dut mesotherapy reduced sperm counts in some with these tiny doses of 0.1mg every month or so. 

Therefore, the half life of this stuff does worry me quite a bit. I do feel slightly like I'm playing with fire. 

I thought that too and emailed them but got this response:

we are not formulating Topical Dutasteride 0.05% at the moment. Would you like to place an order for 0.1% Dutasteride? DHL shipping too? Let me know and we will try to process your order asap. 

Edited by sunsurfhair

2 hours ago, sunsurfhair said:

I thought that too and emailed them but got this response:

we are not formulating Topical Dutasteride 0.05% at the moment. Would you like to place an order for 0.1% Dutasteride? DHL shipping too? Let me know and we will try to process your order asap. 

That's odd. 

Bottom line I guess is topical dut is very much a new thing, with minimal science thus far. Reaching in the dark really. 

20 minutes ago, Follicle1984 said:

That's odd. 

Bottom line I guess is topical dut is very much a new thing, with minimal science thus far. Reaching in the dark really. 

Check the FUE website it now looks like it’s been refreshed to show the 0.1% option again. Unfortunately, you’re right that it’s a crap shoot with the 5ARs orally and or topically.  

On 1/31/2023 at 10:04 PM, win200 said:

Hi again Win.

Just thought of two more questions for when you are next on here...

Firstly, I believe you mentioned in other posts you tried/used oral dutasteride for quite a while? Did that give you any sides? Why do you choose topical over oral dut?

Also...does the topical dut still protect you from hair loss on cycle? Think I read you've used up to 700mg test? Apologies if I've miss read that. Can't remember where I read it now to check i got that correct.

Cheers mate.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:08 AM, Follicle1984 said:

Anyone else any updates, experiences or thoughts on topical dutasteride to add? 

Would be particularly interested if anyone had any input as to side effects (or lack thereof) of topical dut ...especially if they had sides with fin previously ? 

I used to take fin and discontinued due to sides. Recently started using topical dut and with the proper dosage I don't experience any negative effects. If you're considering a product like Xyon keep in mind the insane dose they use and I'd advise to go with lower concentration and would apply 1-2x a week at most. I tried using their product daily as prescribed and sides were almost immediate and went away in 4 days. I now use half the dose once a week and so far no side effects everything seems normal.

• Like 1