What does 2000 - 3000 grafts look like on diffuse thinners?

Hi all,

I've been quoted within 2000 - 3000 grafts for many surgeons, but I have concerns about coverage for diffuse thinners. Going through the forums I haven't seen many examples of what this would look like on diffuse thinners, only receders.

I've had consultations with these surgeons:

IN PERSON: Diep (2,250 - 3,500), Pak/Rassman (2000 - 2500), Dauer (1500),  Abrahamian (2700 - 2800)

ONLINE: Vories (3000 grafts) , Konior (wants to see in person), H&W (rejected due to low donor density) , Rahal (rejected due to low donor density), Erdogan (rejected due to low donor density), Rosanelli (rejected due to low donor density)

IMG_7788.thumb.JPG.68e37bec3e4f21be099b93b6186d669c.JPG

IMG_7792.thumb.JPG.af130edb4dba8010edb5c9f42c58b04e.JPG

IMG_7794.thumb.JPG.59de1dad23ea99ef22fa2bd1db907eda.JPG

Biceps I am going through the same thing but have more patterned receding as well as diffuse thinning. My donor does not look any better than yours but have not been rejected by any doctors at this point in time. I am very surprised to hear that some doctors do not consider there is enough donor for coverage. I think 2k graft will only cover your frontal 1/3 and hairline. You may have to make a call when you are happy to have your midscalp and crown to be bald if there isn't enough donor. 

Good luck with your search 

3000 would make it to your crown area, will it be fully dense? no, but you should have a strong hairline and somewhat filled out mid scalp. may you post a pic of your donor? I would like to see for reference.

• Administrators

I was a diffuse thinner, and I had about 5,300 grafts to look decent, but obviously need to style my hair perfectly, and I need concealer to look perfect. Also, my crown is very thin, you need to have realistic expectations before you agree to having surgery.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2000-3000 grafts can make a huge difference - it all depends on the plan and the placement.  If you decide to put them throughout the entire pattern, you will enjoy a bit more density everywhere but will still look thin particularly if the hair is very dark. It will also depend on how much native hair you start out with.

But, if these are concentrated towards the front and you work up to the mid-scalp, not only will you have a much fuller look, you'll be pattern appropriate.

As far as being age appropriate, that will depend on hairline design.

Many factors go into this. I would encourage you to view photos of cases similar to your own.  Look for the type of density the doctor can achieve in a single procedure.  

Lastly, medical therapy.  Whatever native hair you have, it is making a difference.  Why not try to keep it and perhaps enhance it? Not only that...you need to prevent your pattern from expanding.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wicky said:

3000 would make it to your crown area, will it be fully dense? no, but you should have a strong hairline and somewhat filled out mid scalp. may you post a pic of your donor? I would like to see for reference.

Attached are long, medium, and short:

1051406496_REAR-DRY0419.thumb.png.691885f618bee6102868eee8f3424958.png.32f42abbcf7e34fc2fba905e3a3bd8f7.pngIMG_2102.thumb.JPG.7eab4053312a03ce5dd3b61bf1e19eac.jpeg.ac83621b687af8820e12c41701e98f31.jpeg811091120_REAR-DRY0119.thumb.JPG.59269bfd04cfb528956057e95b808e75.jpeg.937f4774763dfb7c625082a8a2534808.jpeg

3 (Long).png

Edited by Biceps

6 hours ago, LaserCap said:

2000-3000 grafts can make a huge difference - it all depends on the plan and the placement.  If you decide to put them throughout the entire pattern, you will enjoy a bit more density everywhere but will still look thin particularly if the hair is very dark. It will also depend on how much native hair you start out with.

But, if these are concentrated towards the front and you work up to the mid-scalp, not only will you have a much fuller look, you'll be pattern appropriate.

As far as being age appropriate, that will depend on hairline design.

Many factors go into this. I would encourage you to view photos of cases similar to your own.  Look for the type of density the doctor can achieve in a single procedure.  

Lastly, medical therapy.  Whatever native hair you have, it is making a difference.  Why not try to keep it and perhaps enhance it? Not only that...you need to prevent your pattern from expanding.

Hi LaserCap, appreciate your input. A few questions:

1) What do you mean by the front being "pattern appropriate"? Do you mean having a balding crown but full front is normal? I assumed receding hairline was more common.

2) I can't find many cases like mine perusing the transplant subforum :/ Do you know of any noteworthy ones? Looks like Melvin's is similar.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I was a diffuse thinner, and I had about 5,300 grafts to look decent, but obviously need to style my hair perfectly, and I need concealer to look perfect. Also, my crown is very thin, you need to have realistic expectations before you agree to having surgery.

image.png

image.png

Wow Melvin, this gives me hope since your previous diffuse thinning looks like mine. I watched your Youtube video and have a few questions:

1) Why did you choose the midscalp for your first procedure? (1,800 grafts put in my midscalp in a diffuse pattern)

2) Your next procedure of 2,120 grafts were for your hairline. When did you do your crown, and how many grafts? Was that with Diep too?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Biceps said:

Wow Melvin, this gives me hope since your previous diffuse thinning looks like mine. I watched your Youtube video and have a few questions:

1) Why did you choose the midscalp for your first procedure? (1,800 grafts put in my midscalp in a diffuse pattern)

2) Your next procedure of 2,120 grafts were for your hairline. When did you do your crown, and how many grafts? Was that with Diep too?

I went to a surgeon who wasn't very good, he pretty much gave me a hairline that started in my midscalp. The results didn't look good, and left a lot to be desired. The next procedure with Dr. Diep, is when I saw an enormous change in my appearance. I did my crown in 2016, but I also reinforced the midscalp. I had about 600-700 grafts in the crown and that was also Diep. The crown is bare, and I use concealer to make it look good, for full transparency here is what my crown looks like without concealer, and obviously the density is an illusion. You can see the true density when I part it down the middle. I want to give you realistic expectations. If you think hair transplants are gonna solve all your problems they won't. 

image.png

image.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

34 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I went to a surgeon who wasn't very good, he pretty much gave me a hairline that started in my midscalp. The results didn't look good, and left a lot to be desired. The next procedure with Dr. Diep, is when I saw an enormous change in my appearance. I did my crown in 2016, but I also reinforced the midscalp. I had about 600-700 grafts in the crown and that was also Diep. The crown is bare, and I use concealer to make it look good, for full transparency here is what my crown looks like without concealer, and obviously the density is an illusion. You can see the true density when I part it down the middle. I want to give you realistic expectations. If you think hair transplants are gonna solve all your problems they won't. 

image.png

image.png

Go to the mall, whenever it is OK to do so.....look at people and their patterns.  Very quickly you are going to find that most people with similar patterns tend to keep hair on the very front, thinner in the mid scalp and a lot less hair in the crown.  In addition, when interacting with others, it is the front they see.  So, by concentrating a bit more density in the front, you are accomplishing a number of things but still remain pattern appropriate.