FUE Cost & Feeback on Norwood 3 hair status

Hello All,

I did a search on hairrestorationnetwork.com and didn't come up with a definitive on cost per graft for FUE transplantation?  I would like to stay in the states for the transplant vs. flying somewhere out of the country.

Beyond that I have attached some pictures of my current hair/hairloss.  I've been told I am at the Norwood 3 classification, which I agree with.  I have some thinning I believe in the mid scalp region (Vertex?), the crown besides having a cowlick in the center seems to not be loosing much hair.  I am worried the back of my head (donor area?) will become noticeably thin after the hair follicles are removed for transplant?  I also am nervous about what the future will bring and what to expect?  Can body or facial hair be used as a filler, as I do have ample of both it seems?

I am currently taking Finasteride/Propecia 1.25mg per day.  I have been on it for say 6 years or more.  I also use minoxidil foam twice a day all over my head, using more than I probably should (about 3/4 cap full twice a day).  I also am using DS Laboratories shampoo.  Not certain if that is of any good, or just another scam?  Any shampoo recommendations I am open for as well.

Any information or feedback from the experienced would be great!

Hair front 2.jpg

Hair front 1.jpg

Hair back 1.jpg

Hair right 1.jpg

Hair left 1.jpg

Hair top view 1.jpg

Edited by CK37
Needed to remove pictures with my face

• Administrators

I am worried the back of my head (donor area?) will become noticeably thin after the hair follicles are removed for transplant?  I also am nervous about what the future will bring and what to expect?  Can body or facial hair be used as a filler, as I do have ample of both it seems?”

Will it be noticeable? Yes, to you. Will the public notice? No, in most cases no one would glance twice. 

Unfortunately, no one has a crystal ball to predict the future. I would plan to be at least a norwood 5 when it’s all said and done, so plan accordingly.

Body hair can be used as filler, but the overall success rate is much lower. Beard hair works well, so if you ever need to pull from there you can. I would start submitting some online consultations.

The more you submit the better, because you’ll be able to get a median price and know how many grafts you require to achieve your goals.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

how old are you? anything over 30 and I'd say you have a good head of hair. Have you noticed much more hair loss or has it stabilized?

FUE usually ranges from $6-$10 per graft in the United States, probably averaging in the $6-$8 range. 

I think you would do well rebuilding the frontal third with maybe 2000-2500 grafts, assuming you wont lower the hairline much.

Gabel, Diep, Bloxham, Konior, to name a few in the US

Melvin/HairlossPA,

Thanks for the feedback.  From the sound of it there would be ample donor hair for more than one transplant to buy me quite a few years.  I will look into the beard hair as my beard is dense in the lower portions.  The surgeon/transplant clinic stated 2000 to 2500 grafts as you had.  Cost seemed in line as well.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, CK37 said:

Melvin/HairlossPA,

Thanks for the feedback.  From the sound of it there would be ample donor hair for more than one transplant to buy me quite a few years.  I will look into the beard hair as my beard is dense in the lower portions.  The surgeon/transplant clinic stated 2000 to 2500 grafts as you had.  Cost seemed in line as well.

Gabel is really well-priced for North America, so is Dr. Rahal, another surgeon to consider as well.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

You could probably get the results you want with about 2,500 grafts - just don't get greedy with your hairline*. It won't be as thick as you were when you were 16, but it will give that appearance for sure. 

You won't get the results you want unless you go to the very best doctors, though, and that means paying about $10 a graft. Places overseas will likely charge you way less, but you won't be happy and you'll set yourself up in a bad spot long term. Trust me and everyone else on this. Go to the best. Also, and some would disagree with me here, but I'd go FUT first time. Get the scar filled in later with beard hair. 

If you're not on Propecia, get on that right now. It's incredible how much it helps keep your existing hair and you have a lot. 

Edited by champybaby
  • Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Administrators

Champbaby with the words of wisdom. FUT is definitely cheaper, and sets you up for a better long-term plan, you may need to wear your hair slightly longer. In the pics, looks like you sport a #2, you may have to bump it up to a #3 or #4 depending on how your scar turns out.

View my thread