Can minoxidil cause folliculitis

I have been on Minoxidil since 2012, when I first noticed hair loss. I initially started with 2% but switched to 5% since I heard it was more effective. At first I was fine, but I started noticing side effects such as a painful scalp, itchiness etc.. I did not think much of it and consulted a few dermatologists that claimed everything was okay. In 2015 I had my first hair transplant, which for some reason failed and I was told I may have scarring alopecia, due to the fact that there were a lot of pimples on my scalp. The biopsy came back inconclusive so I decided to proceed with a second hair transplant. Dr Yaman brought up the fact that Minoxidil might be causing me the side effects, which makes sense. So far, the results have been quite good, but over the past month I started applying minoxidil again and noticed a lot of pimples on my recipient and donor site. I initially thought it may be due to the fact that I was four months post op and reading online pimples are quite common, but I ran out of minoxidil last week and noticed my scalp clear up a few days later. Is it possible minoxidil can cause folliculitis? If so, are there any other alternatives I can use? I am on Finasteride, which I will continue using if minoxidil is indeed causing problems

Post-op pimples are usually a sign of new hair coming through the scalp (ingrown hair) and totally different from the larger puss filled bumps that is caused by the infectious folliculitis.

IMHO, minoxidil does not cause folliculitis but you may just be having an adverse reaction to it....minoxidil contains a huge amount of alcohol derivatives.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

I have never heard of Minoxidil causing folliculitis, I highly doubt minoxidil would cause such an issue. Have you contacted a dermatologist.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would think if anything, the high amount of alcohol derivatives would help prevent many infections.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY