Jump to content
Melvin-Moderator

When Did You First Notice Your Hair Loss?

Recommended Posts

I was 21, someone told me in a very abrupt way that I had a receding hairline. It was truly one of the worst feelings I ever felt. I spent the rest of the night going to the bathroom every hour to look at my hairline. I became almost OCD about it. Looking back I could see my hairline becoming see through even at 20. Let's hear some stories, where were you and who told you?

764C4D34-513C-46A7-9358-7EAB0E52CDE8_1_201_a.jpeg


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd year of high school, I was 15 at the time. I always liked my hair cut short to around a 3mm buzz cut, and thats when I noticed it in the mirror. Lack of hair on my temples, going in the typical hair loss pattern shape. Didn't think of it much at the time since I liked to wear my hair short anyways, but once I switched to longer hair and hairstyles, it ruined me xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lohvisa said:

2nd year of high school, I was 15 at the time. I always liked my hair cut short to around a 3mm buzz cut, and thats when I noticed it in the mirror. Lack of hair on my temples, going in the typical hair loss pattern shape. Didn't think of it much at the time since I liked to wear my hair short anyways, but once I switched to longer hair and hairstyles, it ruined me xD

Did anyone in High School notice? The saddest case I remember was this kid who was a sophomore, he started losing a lot of hair, he must've been a Norwood 4 by 15. By the end of high school he shaved his head and he rationalized it by saying he was a skinhead. It was really sad.


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Did anyone in High School notice? The saddest case I remember was this kid who was a sophomore, he started losing a lot of hair, he must've been a Norwood 4 by 15. By the end of high school he shaved his head and he rationalized it by saying he was a skinhead. It was really sad.

They noticed by year 4, since I had the regular teen fashionable comb-over so it wasn't really noticable up until that point. The wind blowing was quite an enemy of mine. They didn't make a big deal out of it though, so I thank them for that. My dad was fully bald at 22, so atleast I am losing my hair a bit slower than he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started losing it in the mid to late 20s, but didn't really notice until about 18 months ago where the temples have seriously receded. I am now 33. 

But once I started noticing the temple recede, I also noticed the overall thinning on top of head and the dreaded moment when my doctor noticed that I was also losing it in the crown. Ever since then, I have been obsessed with hair loss and after a lot of time on YouTube and forums, have started seriously considering a HT

The sad part is that MPB is an endless march to eventual baldness / shiny/ horseshoe. You can delay with medication and can cover it up with HT but in the end, if you don't have enough donor, then you will never get the full coverage that you would hope for. 

What boggles my mind that humanity were able to put man on the moon 70 years ago yet we can't find the permanent solution to grow some follicles on a man's head. 

Godspeed my fellow follicled challenged brothers

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like you Melvin I didn't even realise it at first, at age 16 my friend bluntly said 'you've got a receding hairline'. I looked in the mirror and thought oh yeah, it is going back a bit. Didn't think anything of it until a year later I was in the barbers and he lifted up my fringe and said 'how old are you?' I said 17 he said 'Shit man'. It was after that I became very self conscious and grew my hair long to cover it. A year after that at 18  I wasn't able to hide it anymore so I just cut it short and wore the hairline proudly, I was much less attractive though, I think a receding hairline can suit guys but as a teenager I just looked ill. At aged 21 (Norwood 4) one guy was shocked to find out my age, he said he thought I was 30 :(

The hardest part was being at university where all my friends were having lots of sex and I was lonely as hell. I was very successful with girls prior to the hair loss, I hate it when someone says it's all about confidence because that's not true. I still tried, and I was still confident but always rejected even when I went for not very attractive girls. The reason I know for a fact that premature baldness was the dealbreaker is because I always get female attention when I have a hat on. I recently heard of the term 'hatfish', google examples it means when you're shocked to find that a guy is ugly when they take their hat off, that's me.

4 months ago, aged 23 I felt like my back was against the wall. My hair looked so bad that I was forced to decide between shave it or HT. I had some money saved and just thought why not, lets give it a go and if it looks bad I'll shave it and SMP the scars. Fingers crossed everything works out okay and I'll be able to enjoy the rest of my 20s. It went so quick that I never got to experience being a young man experimenting with styles or being able to express my personality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was like 15 when I first notice that I'm losing too much of my hair. Never thought of it as a problem though until I turned 19 and found out that I was bald in some part of my head. I believe the reason being was because I used different shampoo and conditioner when I was a kid and my mom tells me then that using it at such a young age will damage my hair instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KSmithy said:

Like you Melvin I didn't even realise it at first, at age 16 my friend bluntly said 'you've got a receding hairline'. I looked in the mirror and thought oh yeah, it is going back a bit. Didn't think anything of it until a year later I was in the barbers and he lifted up my fringe and said 'how old are you?' I said 17 he said 'Shit man'. It was after that I became very self conscious and grew my hair long to cover it. A year after that at 18  I wasn't able to hide it anymore so I just cut it short and wore the hairline proudly, I was much less attractive though, I think a receding hairline can suit guys but as a teenager I just looked ill. At aged 21 (Norwood 4) one guy was shocked to find out my age, he said he thought I was 30 :(

The hardest part was being at university where all my friends were having lots of sex and I was lonely as hell. I was very successful with girls prior to the hair loss, I hate it when someone says it's all about confidence because that's not true. I still tried, and I was still confident but always rejected even when I went for not very attractive girls. The reason I know for a fact that premature baldness was the dealbreaker is because I always get female attention when I have a hat on. I recently heard of the term 'hatfish', google examples it means when you're shocked to find that a guy is ugly when they take their hat off, that's me.

4 months ago, aged 23 I felt like my back was against the wall. My hair looked so bad that I was forced to decide between shave it or HT. I had some money saved and just thought why not, lets give it a go and if it looks bad I'll shave it and SMP the scars. Fingers crossed everything works out okay and I'll be able to enjoy the rest of my 20s. It went so quick that I never got to experience being a young man experimenting with styles or being able to express my personality.

Man I feel you on so many levels, at least I’ll say this bro. At 23 you’re still a very young man. You’ve got, hell most of your 20’s ahead of you. Let me tell you this, even me at 34 I feel 100x better than I did at 24. 

I can recall when I was at a barber and he asked my age, I was 26 he said “damn and you’re already balding” it was a gut punch. My youth slipping right before my very eyes. It got to the point where I shaved my head at 28. I was at an all time low. 4 years later, with surgeries and a little  concealer, I gained it all back. We’re all gonna make it.

8474A617-F1E6-4074-8922-F11066110520.jpeg

054A3BF6-235A-438C-933D-D7B0CE35AC6C.jpeg

  • Like 2

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 21 and one morning I noticed a ton of hair on my white pillow case...I was devastated!...this continued on and eventually could see my hairline tracking backwards and seeing my scalp...AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!.....😒

Then, my young daughter noticed my hair loss and commented on it and said, "daddy, does your hair have owie?", meaning, does it hurt?


Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 28. I went to a new hair stylist for a haircut, and he had the audacity to trim all the loose/wispy hairs from my receding hairline that up to that point I hadn't even noticed. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes. Lol. Once he cut them and I realized why (he was trying to make the receding hairline less noticeable), it's all I could focus on. My anxiety went through the roof, I thought my life was over, and I proceeded to spend hundreds (and eventually nearly two thousand) dollars on miracle serums and solutions trying my best to reverse the hair loss. Obviously, that didn't work. ;)

Two years later, I discovered hair transplants, Dr. Mohebi, this forum, etc. and the rest is history. 


I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing how hair loss affects our psyche! 


Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Early 20s I'd say, although recession had probably started at 18-19 but wasn't particularly obvious....didn't really pick up on it myself nor did anyone comment. Looking back, 22-23 years old was when it was truly clear I was on the MPB path. Recession as well as crown thinning was kicking in although not really obvious to others as my hair was generally thick so covering it up without it looking obvious I was trying to hide something wasn't particularly hard. Hair generally started to feel much more lifeless and didn't have the same 'energy' it had before.

Fast forward a few years to say 27-29 and thinning spot on the crown was clear although not totally bald but fairly obvious it was heading that way. Forehead was looking larger with the hairline having inched backwards. That, with the rest of my hair miniaturising and generally looking pretty weak and so difficult to cover up the thinning, got the odd comment regarding my hair loss. Friends/family who I had grown up with them saw me with quite thick hair in my younger days so for them the difference would have been stark.

For me, one thing I never really had or maybe didn't notice was a great amount of shedding apart from one occasion. Was shampooing and had what seemed a huge amount of hair shedding and it didn't seem to stop. Seemed to be tons of hair just continually coming out the scalp whenever i ran my hand through my hair which really freaked me out. After that, really took note of any shedding but can't say I ever had anything like that again.

Edited by Fozzie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was around the age of 23. I was at a beach bar and saw someone I knew from highschool and he randomly blurts out "damn bro you're balding". It caught me so off guard and I was like wtf??? I was with my girl at the time and I couldn't stop thinking about it the rest of the night. It's crazy how much it sneaks up on you, and you have no idea... I didnt hop on fin for the longest time and when it was at it's worst... the comments from the continuation of people were absolutely killing my self esteem. I was so depressed

Edited by hairlossPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First noticed it when I was 17, in the 11th grade (3rd year of high school). A girl in one of my classes, and not a particularly attractive girl at that, told me that I had a bald spot on top of my head. I had (and still have) fairly thick, wavy/curly hair otherwise, but sure enough, I went home and held a hand-held mirror up to the wall mirror in my bathroom so that I could see the crown, and there it was. A semi-circular strip of scalp, taking on that classic horseshoe shape, around the back edge of the crown. That was over 25 years ago. 
 

I started on Propecia 3 years later, right after it became readily available in the US as a hair loss treatment. It’s been able to stem the tide of further loss for the most part, and no side effects, so I’m fortunate in that regard. But that thin spot is still there on top, and it’s vexed me all these years. Tried Minox off and on over the years, it sometimes helps a little, but the effects eventually fade. Not sure if I should try PRP, or if maybe I’m too far down the road for that and just go for HT (realizing that the crown is a “black hole” of grafts). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I've been one of the blessed ones who didn't had any comments until it became quite bad (picture below - 23 year old, strong NW3). 

10425465_1009864995715066_6641061914304127437_n.jpg.9b7291c2f243dd53a6bda840ec335fba.jpg

Funny enough I never cared too much about my hair as I was always wearing my hair very short, so I Never thought I'm balding. At one point (happen around time when I took this picture) one guy said (Rolandas, you will get bald soon. I'm giving you 2 years max).

After that I started growing my hair to cover balding frontal 1/3 (already forgot how my hairline looks like!) and it eventually became my go-to hairstyle. 

20191209_085634.thumb.jpg.4a814dcfe2868b27a4d5b522732583d3.jpg

Here's me in end of January just before my HT.

11120532_DR.BRUNOFERREIRA-RolandasS-005.thumb.jpg.b46c9924adc46f5241ff62d2a68dcb8a.jpg

Here's me 2 weeks after my hair transplant (last month)

 20200212_085554.thumb.jpg.28b16965ab8c872a3c30bd34a5b43127.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Damifino said:

First noticed it when I was 17, in the 11th grade (3rd year of high school). A girl in one of my classes, and not a particularly attractive girl at that, told me that I had a bald spot on top of my head. I had (and still have) fairly thick, wavy/curly hair otherwise, but sure enough, I went home and held a hand-held mirror up to the wall mirror in my bathroom so that I could see the crown, and there it was. A semi-circular strip of scalp, taking on that classic horseshoe shape, around the back edge of the crown. That was over 25 years ago. 
 

I started on Propecia 3 years later, right after it became readily available in the US as a hair loss treatment. It’s been able to stem the tide of further loss for the most part, and no side effects, so I’m fortunate in that regard. But that thin spot is still there on top, and it’s vexed me all these years. Tried Minox off and on over the years, it sometimes helps a little, but the effects eventually fade. Not sure if I should try PRP, or if maybe I’m too far down the road for that and just go for HT (realizing that the crown is a “black hole” of grafts). 

You caught it young, that makes all the difference in the world.

  • Thanks 1

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rolandas said:

I guess I've been one of the blessed ones who didn't had any comments until it became quite bad (picture below - 23 year old, strong NW3). 

10425465_1009864995715066_6641061914304127437_n.jpg.9b7291c2f243dd53a6bda840ec335fba.jpg

Funny enough I never cared too much about my hair as I was always wearing my hair very short, so I Never thought I'm balding. At one point (happen around time when I took this picture) one guy said (Rolandas, you will get bald soon. I'm giving you 2 years max).

After that I started growing my hair to cover balding frontal 1/3 (already forgot how my hairline looks like!) and it eventually became my go-to hairstyle. 

20191209_085634.thumb.jpg.4a814dcfe2868b27a4d5b522732583d3.jpg

Here's me in end of January just before my HT.

11120532_DR.BRUNOFERREIRA-RolandasS-005.thumb.jpg.b46c9924adc46f5241ff62d2a68dcb8a.jpg

Here's me 2 weeks after my hair transplant (last month)

 20200212_085554.thumb.jpg.28b16965ab8c872a3c30bd34a5b43127.jpg

I wonder if it's just in America people can be rude lol


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You caught it young, that makes all the difference in the world.

Indeed. If I hadn't started Propecia when I did, I'm sure I'd have been a high Norwood years ago. As it is, my thin area is still just that, a small area, and can be masked easily with concealer.

Edited by Damifino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Rolandas said:

I guess in America people are more superficial than in little country like Lithuania. Just saying! :D

It's horrible, especially in High School, a poor kid that went bald in my high school preferred to be known as a Nazi skinhead, then admit he was bald. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad was bald, and I had a great hair growing up (think of Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter, I was actually getting that comparison for some reason)  which wasn't so common in Egypt. 

My older sisters who were 7-9 years older than me used to tell me I've awesome hair, but too bad I will lose it since my dad is bald. That made me growing up obsessed with my hair. At the age of 5  no kid should worry about hair loss :( 

I noticed a very very slight hair loss at the age of 15 in my temple area, that should have never been noticed. I continued to lose hair gradually at hair line till the age of 22-23 when I started to lose hair thickness. 

By age of 29 I would say I looked bald rather than balding, at early 30's I am seriously thinking about HT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, harry_potter1 said:

My dad was bald, and I had a great hair growing up (think of Daniel Radcliffe in Harry Potter, I was actually getting that comparison for some reason)  which wasn't so common in Egypt. 

My older sisters who were 7-9 years older than me used to tell me I've awesome hair, but too bad I will lose it since my dad is bald. That made me growing up obsessed with my hair. At the age of 5  no kid should worry about hair loss :( 

I noticed a very very slight hair loss at the age of 15 in my temple area, that should have never been noticed. I continued to lose hair gradually at hair line till the age of 22-23 when I started to lose hair thickness. 

By age of 29 I would say I looked bald rather than balding, at early 30's I am seriously thinking about HT

I was the opposite, I had people tell me I would never go bald because my dad wasn't bald and my brother wasn't bald. It's funny how genetics works. Sad in my case. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at a music festival and a girl rejected me telling me she didn't like dating older men. When we spoke more I realized she was 4 years older than me, and I accepted that my hair was a problem.

Edited by bismarck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you serious Bis?...BTW, how old are you and how many total grafts have you received so far?


Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians:  Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin, New York, NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×