Am I balding? I’m 16

Nogomi

I’m 16 and this whole year I have been anxious about hair loss. I don’t have any old pictures to compare to. The hair near the end of my side part seems to be thinning. If I am balding what am I supposed to do. I’m still in high school...

80EAF4F6-C1FA-4283-B7FD-22D245D4B10B.jpeg

D702FC2B-58DC-47E6-B3C3-29B368B924D7.jpeg

7702FC37-7DDE-417B-9EF3-EC2054515CFD.jpeg

A325662C-BC6A-43E3-BC8E-79D6F945F22C.jpeg

EE0FE1C0-1B13-433E-A0ED-399978F72FCF.jpeg

• Administrators

I wouldn't worry about it at this point, what is your family history. Is your dad bald? How old was he when he went bald?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Nogomi said:

My dad is 60 and only has minor hair loss

What about uncles, brothers, grandparents? 

This was me at 16 no visible hair loss, and by 18 I had the beginning signs with temple recession. By age 20 the loss was evident. My point is, if you’re fearing hair loss, it might be happening. Wish I would’ve caught it young. I’d have more hair today. 

9AD73E46-AA7F-4CD3-BD5E-8DF2263624EA.jpeg

E8BB0D9B-0556-4A5E-A793-480408D64E75.jpeg

0D2968B9-1DD5-4D78-B66C-0EFCC862AA1B.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Nogomi said:

On my mother’s of the family I have no uncles. My grandpa had a little bit of hair left when I knew him by the time he was around 80.

Sounds like your grandpa was bald, which means you have MPB in your family. The temples looked like mine when I was 18. I would take pictures monthly, and compare them. If you notice additional loss, go to a doctor and ask if you could get approved for medication. I believe you have to be 18 for finasteride, but you may be able to use minoxidil. 

View my thread

3 hours ago, Yake said:

Baldness comes from mother's family. Any of your uncle or grand dad bald ?

Yeah that's not true at all. All the men of my mother's family have full heads of hair even at 70, but everyone at my dad's side is bald and so am I.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, Yake said:

That is a myth. On my father's side all have hairloss and on my mother's none suffer from hairloss. 

On 3/23/2020 at 4:33 PM, Nogomi said:

I’m 16 and this whole year I have been anxious about hair loss. I don’t have any old pictures to compare to. The hair near the end of my side part seems to be thinning. If I am balding what am I supposed to do. I’m still in high school...

80EAF4F6-C1FA-4283-B7FD-22D245D4B10B.jpeg

D702FC2B-58DC-47E6-B3C3-29B368B924D7.jpeg

7702FC37-7DDE-417B-9EF3-EC2054515CFD.jpeg

A325662C-BC6A-43E3-BC8E-79D6F945F22C.jpeg

EE0FE1C0-1B13-433E-A0ED-399978F72FCF.jpeg

To be totally honest, if I was to bet I would say that yes this is the beginnings of male pattern baldness. I was in a similar situation around 18. It also does appear that the hair is visibly thinning, not naturally recessed. Obviously I don’t know for sure, nor do I know how much further it could recess, potentially that could be all of it for now. 

At your age the best you can likely do is consult a hair transplant surgeon in person and get them to check for miniaturization. In terms of treatment, nizoral shampoo a few times a week and minoxidil are those front temples and the crown may help.

It sounds bad, but I would at least keep hair transplants in the back of your mind for later down the track. Hopefully by the time you’re in your 20s hairloss treatment will have improved somewhat.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:16 PM, Yake said:

That is just not true. I think its more of a 50 50 chance. My mothers side is all full of hair yet 2 of my brothers are getting bald in their 30s. 

Regarding this guy. You def. have an androgenic alopecia, but its really early. That doesnt mean you will lose all of your hair in a year. you might lose it at your 20s, 30s or 50s who knows. but its something coming at you. I wouldnt recommend you go on anti androgens this early. Wouldnt recommend minoxidil either, but if your hairloss starts being really aggressive then thats probably the only option you have