FUE Doctors Involvement vs. Technicians

Zizou88

Wanted to do a short post of a short research I did while looking for a doctor to do my FUE procedure. 
I have been only considering FUE because I only need about 1,700 graph and I do not want the linear scar. For me price/location is not an issue. As all of you I just want the best. 
Therefore I reached out to: H&W, Lupanzula, Konior, Bernstein, Lorenzo

All of them were very easy to communicate with, normally within 24 hours. 
I understand technicians will be assisting doctors during the procedure, so I wanted to learn the actual involvement of the doctor vs. the technician. The price of some of these doctors is very high, so I wanted to understand if I am paying a premium for the doctors procedure how much time will the doctor be involved in the procedure itself. 

Out of the three steps - Extract Graft (EG), Make Graft Openings (MGO), Place Graft (PG) this is what I found:

H&W - Doctor (MGO) - Technicians (EG) (PG)
Lorenzo - vague answer "technicians will assist through out entire process, he will do what he thinks is fundamental on each patient"
Bernstein - Doctor (EG, MGO) - Technicians (PG)
Lupanzula - Doctor (EG,MGO) - Technicians (PG)
Konior - Doctor (EG, MGO, PG) 

With the exception of H&W (only one out of hundreds of great reviews) I haven't been able to find a bad review/feedback from any of these doctors, so I understand their process yield great results. However, if you ask me If I would prefer, Dr. Konior or Dr. Lupanzula to extract the grafts vs. a technician in another great clinic, I will prefer the actual doctors. For that simple reason I decided to not move forward with H&W and Lorenzo. For Bernstein, I haven' t found a bad review but in comparison to the other doctors there are very few reviews available. They only due the FUE with ARTAS. There are some bad reviews about ARTAS damaging donor area, or having issues. None of those reviews were patients of Bernstein, but it make me less comfortable. For that reason I am currently only considering Lupanzula and Konior. 

Following my same logic if you ask me who do I prefer to place the graft Konior or Lupanzula technician, I will say Konior. However, I am still indecisive because most of the reviews and results I found for Konior are for FUT while for Lupanzula are for FUE. Overall I know I can't go wrong with any of them. 

I wanted to share this post I think the involvement of the Doctors during the procedure is important factor to understand, at least it was for me. It also gives you a better perspective when it comes to pricing. For example Konior can be twice as expensive as other top doctors, however, it seems he can dedicate more than twice the time so the price becomes relative. He does one procedure a day while other's do multiple, so it makes sense he charges more. 

If you have this information of the involvement of procedure by top doctors, it will be great if you can share here. 

Edited by Zizou88

Mate i am in the same boat. Have reached out to konior/lupanzula/h&w/Bisanga. 

There are pretty much all exclusive positive reviews for these doctors on this site, which is reassuring. 

Would appreciate advice on which of these doctors are the best in terms of donor preservation (have below average donor) and take a conservative approach 

Just as clarifying info to Zizou88's post, my understanding is that Dr. Konior is assisted in PG (placing grafts) by (at least) his lead technician. In other words, he is "involved" in that stage of the FUE procedure as well but his technician(s) also place(s) grafts in the recipient sites (which he makes). At least that is my understanding. 

@Zizou88

Nice post and presentation. I understand the discussion.

Just to add an important factor that I believe may not have been considered in your writing, or not explained by some of the clinics you have been in correspondence with. The extraction of grafts in most clinics, has two phases.

Phase one - The punching

Phase two - The removal of the pre punched grafts from the donor area

Naturally with limited donor area, we as patients are extremely concerned regarding how efficiently our precious donor is managed. At BHR all punching is done by the Doctor, whilst the technician will then assist in removing the pre punched grafts. I would also suggest that this may be the case for some of the physicians mentioned above. This offers another element to consider.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PupDaddy said:

Just as clarifying info to Zizou88's post, my understanding is that Dr. Konior is assisted in PG (placing grafts) by (at least) his lead technician. In other words, he is "involved" in that stage of the FUE procedure as well but his technician(s) also place(s) grafts in the recipient sites (which he makes). At least that is my understanding. 

Yes, I believe Dr. Konior assists in placing grafts, just like Dr. Gabel, but his technician helps as well. He definitely doesn’t do the entire procedure himself. To the point, I would prefer a surgeon to concentrate his focus and energy on what’s important. Placing grafts doesn’t take any particular surgical skill, and an experienced technician can do this without any problems. I’d rather that, then a fatigued surgeon, who has to limit the grafts, because he’s doing everything on his own.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you think it's the most critical component of the HT where the doctors involvement are required? 

My understanding of sequence of significance is: 

1. Hairline/ recipient area design

2. Donor area extraction design 

3. Opening slits for recipient area

4. Punching the extraction area 

Although I would still feel more comfortable if the doctor is actively involved in every step of the process 

@squarepatch

Your Doctor should not only be involved, but should be performing all of the above.

Each one of these points is integral and hugely important. I would suggest that the hairline design/placement and recipient sites are the priority, closely followed by donor management and punching.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I too chose FUE because I would never want the linear scar.  I also wanted a doctor who did most or all of the work.  Dr. Vories for many years has extracted every graft, made every incision, and placed every graft.  And...at $4-5 per graft, its a great price for his expertise.  I’m obviously an advocate for Dr. Vories but his work speaks for itself.  You’ve chosen fine doctors as well, I just wanted to throw my experience into your equation.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.