How many grafts would it take to restore my hair?

Based on my level of hairloss, how many grafts would I realistically need to restore my hairline and mid-scalp to around 40 grafts per cm sq? My vertex is still decent so I don't want to put grafts there. The redness is from SMP treatment a few years ago. I had it removed by laser almost 2 years ago but the pinkness is still there. My HT is going to cover it finally!

20200218_201246 (1).jpg

• Administrators

Depends, I would say around 4,500 -5,000, anticipate the crown being lost eventually. So, you may still need another procedure in the future, just keep that in mind.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

If you go for a conservative hairline...then I agree with Melvin’s opinion.

This is true, I was thinking follow the outline of the hairline he has currently. Lowering it will definitely require way more grafts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I agree with Melvin. I think 4.5k to 5k grafts would suffice. Are you on any meds? Have you had any consults?

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I agree with Melvin. I think 4.5k to 5k grafts would suffice. Are you on any meds? Have you had any consults?

Started fin over 1 year ago and switched to dut 7 months ago. 

Thank you all for your input. Would it be better to do FUT or will I get enough from FUE?

On 3/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, kirkland said:

Started fin over 1 year ago and switched to dut 7 months ago. 

Thank you all for your input. Would it be better to do FUT or will I get enough from FUE?

NP mate. I would do FUT first. How is your donor area? Do you have enough scalp laxity for an FUT?

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

39 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

NP mate. I would do FUT first. How is your donor area? Do you have enough scalp laxity for an FUT?

Yes, laxity is fine. I have been doing scalp stretches to help loosen the area. 

Go for FUT first. Maybe do like I did start first from frontal portion and on second surgery do the rest of scalp?

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Administrators

Going FUT first maximizes your donor supply without a doubt. If you go FUE, you’ll definitely need to do some BHT. 

View my thread

2 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Go for FUT first. Maybe do like I did start first from frontal portion and on second surgery do the rest of scalp?

Thank you for the input. I have watched your Youtube vids charting your progression. Keep them coming!

51 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Going FUT first maximizes your donor supply without a doubt. If you go FUE, you’ll definitely need to do some BHT. 

Thanks Melvin. You are a great mod and I appreciate the assistance you provide.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2020 at 9:54 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

After your discussions with Eugenix do you still believe this to be the case (that you must do FUT to get max lifetime grafts)? And if so, how many more grafts to you think you get? 10%? 20%? Just curious. Just watched your IG live with Drs. Bansal and Sethi. Thanks for the informative content!

After doing lots of research on Norwood patterns that are similar, and with a conscious decision to forego the crown area altogether with a conservative hairline, I believe that 5-6000 grafts will satisfy me. My donor area has good caliber, and though I don't know my average FU size, I feel confident that I have more than enough beard hair and donor supply to go with FUE only.

• Like 2

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, kirkland said:

After doing lots of research on Norwood patterns that are similar, and with a conscious decision to forego the crown area altogether with a conservative hairline, I believe that 5-6000 grafts will satisfy me. My donor area has good caliber, and though I don't know my average FU size, I feel confident that I have more than enough beard hair and donor supply to go with FUE only.

When you calculate beard hair the number is a lot more even with FUT

View my thread

I still believe that FUT is the better option for those who are younger and have extensive hairloss. You need the max number of grafts over the longer period of time you want hair. At my age, having a more conservative hairline and thinness in the crown is expected. FUE and BHT, in skilled hands, is going to give me a result beyond what I previously hoped for.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 8:01 AM, Rolandas said:

Curious why you're encouraging him to do FUT first? Even in the world of Zarev, Ferreria, Cuoto, and Eugenix? I'm looking to gain more knowledge. What is your perspective as someone who has done a significant FUE procedure?

1 hour ago, mtb said:

Curious why you're encouraging him to do FUT first? Even in the world of Zarev, Ferreria, Cuoto, and Eugenix? I'm looking to gain more knowledge. What is your perspective as someone who has done a significant FUE procedure?

You have always keep in mind, most amazing "fue megasessions" are done on NOT average donor. An average patient won't be able to get huge amount of grafts.
FUT on another hand can be superior, especially for someone with average donor. It all depends on the donor and hair loss area.

Even in my case, after taking 6500 grafts via FUE I still think future FUT would be an option to get as many grafts as possible should I need.

• Like 2

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

If you did an FUT treatment after your third transplant, I don't think you would have to harvest that much and your scar should be minimal.

I like how your first two FUE surgeries worked out. Your hairloss was not quite extensive as mine but your videos have given me hope that 6500 grafts are viable from the donor and that it can cover a lot of area with good density.

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:47 PM, kirkland said:

I still believe that FUT is the better option for those who are younger and have extensive hairloss. You need the max number of grafts over the longer period of time you want hair. At my age, having a more conservative hairline and thinness in the crown is expected. FUE and BHT, in skilled hands, is going to give me a result beyond what I previously hoped for.

Valid points 

FUE has came on leaps and bounds, and certain clinics and surgeons are nailing down extraction patterns so well now, that the historic belief of the average donor providing only 5000-6000 scalp grafts vía FUE will soon become a dated concept, such as that of graft survival being far more superior with FUT over FUE, during the initial origins of FUE surgery - which we know now, in 2021 simply not to be the case. 

I also think your personal arguments to opt for FUE over FUT are very relevant. And you are also debating it with a 3x FUE patient who had substantially more hair loss than you at what I presume to be a younger age, going off one of your replies - which I find quite amusing lol. 

PS - no one can give you too accurate an opinion on grafts needed unless they had details such as the average thickness of your individual hair shaft, knowing your hair characteristics (wavy or straight), and having to hand your HGI (groupings) - someone who averages closes to 3 hairs per FU will need a lot less grafts than someone who averages closer to 2 hairs per FU. 

• Thanks 1