Advancing a Hairline with FUE (2447 grafts): Carlos K. Wesley, M.D

#BeforeAndAfterMondays

This patient underwent a follicular unit extraction (FUE) session with Dr. Carlos K. Wesley in which a total of 2447 grafts were placed.

His hair follicles were incubated in autologous (his own) platelet rich plasma (PRP) throughout the duration of the procedure.  This, combined with an ATP-containing storage solution has been shown to enhance survival of transplanted hairs.

Rather than a larger FUE punch used by a robotic approach, Dr. Wesley used a smaller caliber hand-held motorized punch to performed the donor harvest.  This approach better enabled the capture of donor hair roots that are slightly curved beneath the skin surface.  Upon completion of the harvest, the patient’s donor area was treated with PRP and ACell in order to not only minimize scar tissue formation, but also encourage partial regeneration of donor hair follicles.

The patient returned 1 year later after his procedure and images of the patient can be seen below.  This link illustrates the timing of hair growth after surgery.  Similar patient hair transformations with Dr. Wesley and his team may also be viewed. 

3BD2470E-C0A0-440F-AFEB-5759A5355D31.jpeg

EEB17536-0278-4826-914F-6D63FE7588ED.jpeg

3FDC3104-5EE4-4A29-93A2-1155869C8E0C.jpeg

E0E9E5F0-720A-48ED-B123-07A3675AC44A.jpeg

2D5CC1FD-D176-473F-9551-DF0553C1A021.jpeg

I have worked with 26 different hair restoration doctors throughout my career. I have now been a nurse with Dr. Wesley for more than a decade.

Dr. Carlos Wesley is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

1050 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028

Ph (844) 745-6362

www.drcarloswesley.com

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, stephcurry30 said:

That doesn't look like 2.4k grafts to me. ANyone want to chime in?

Okay, so I've been scouring this forum for results posted by Dr. Wesley's office, and I've noticed that you're pretty skeptical of his abilities. I've looked into doctors in New York including Bloxham, Shaver, Dorin and Wesley. I'm leaning towards Wesley now. I was really apprehensive when I saw his results because I thought the same thing as you seem to think. For NW 2/3 recession, he gets pretty meager coverage for the numbers of grafts he uses. But the specific technique he uses actually has a unique appeal compared to a lot of HT docs, at least to me. His whole thing is not just covering the already-balded or very obviously thinning portions of the head but to cover those parts AND go into the less obviously balding areas, for example, a thinning forelock. The idea there is to treat these areas preventatively so that when they do thin further, they don't go through an ugly, obviously bald phase.

In my case, my forelock is definitely thinning, but it doesn't look that bad right now. Though I can definitely tell my forelock is thinning in the front and thinning even more obviously in the rear, it looks decent right now with good styling. Worse, and much more noticeable, is the recession in my temples. Dorin is reluctant to cover the forelock and Shaver all but refused to touch it. This is partially due to the dangers of shock loss, which Dorin emphasized more (I think exaggeratedly). Shaver and Bernstein have more of a philosophy that hair transplants are to treat a problem that's already present and not as a preventative method. i.e., they need to wait until your hair is very obviously thinning to work on it. This is all well and good, but I don't want to be one of those fools who, in a few years, when my forelock's thinning does become much more noticeable, which it will, medication or not, ends up with two weird-looking thick hair horns on my temple with shabby, diffuse forelock hair. I'd rather treat it all now and deal with the inevitable up front.

Not sure how much you've researched Wesley, but you seem like the most openly Wesley-skeptical member of the forum. I figured I'd tell you what I've learned about him, as I assume you're basing your opinion solely on the pictures his office posts here. Not sure if you have any further insight into his process or secondhand experience from his patients, but if you do, please share. If there's good reason to be skeptical of Wesley, even knowing how he performs his surgeries, I'd like to hear it. I'm hoping to finalize my decision relatively soon.

I'm not sure why his representatives don't make his technique a little clearer in their posts. lol.

Here's a video he showed me explaining his process:

As to this specific post, I can see 2400 grafts being used to cover the receded parts AND fill in the remaining forelock. 2400 is pretty much what you would need to decently cover the entire forelock.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, FUEgetaboutit said:

Okay, so I've been scouring this forum for results posted by Dr. Wesley's office, and I've noticed that you're pretty skeptical of his abilities. I've looked into doctors in New York including Bloxham, Shaver, Dorin and Wesley. I'm leaning towards Wesley now. I was really apprehensive when I saw his results because I thought the same thing as you seem to think. For NW 2/3 recession, he gets pretty meager coverage for the numbers of grafts he uses. But the specific technique he uses actually has a unique appeal compared to a lot of HT docs, at least to me. His whole thing is not just covering the already-balded or very obviously thinning portions of the head but to cover those parts AND go into the less obviously balding areas, for example, a thinning forelock. The idea there is to treat these areas preventatively so that when they do thin further, they don't go through an ugly, obviously bald phase.

In my case, my forelock is definitely thinning, but it doesn't look that bad right now. Though I can definitely tell my forelock is thinning in the front and thinning even more obviously in the rear, it looks decent right now with good styling. Worse, and much more noticeable, is the recession in my temples. Dorin is reluctant to cover the forelock and Shaver all but refused to touch it. This is partially due to the dangers of shock loss, which Dorin emphasized more (I think exaggeratedly). Shaver and Bernstein have more of a philosophy that hair transplants are to treat a problem that's already present and not as a preventative method. i.e., they need to wait until your hair is very obviously thinning to work on it. This is all well and good, but I don't want to be one of those fools who, in a few years, when my forelock's thinning does become much more noticeable, which it will, medication or not, ends up with two weird-looking thick hair horns on my temple with shabby, diffuse forelock hair. I'd rather treat it all now and deal with the inevitable up front.

Not sure how much you've researched Wesley, but you seem like the most openly Wesley-skeptical member of the forum. I figured I'd tell you what I've learned about him, as I assume you're basing your opinion solely on the pictures his office posts here. Not sure if you have any further insight into his process or secondhand experience from his patients, but if you do, please share. If there's good reason to be skeptical of Wesley, even knowing how he performs his surgeries, I'd like to hear it. I'm hoping to finalize my decision relatively soon.

I'm not sure why his representatives don't make his technique a little clearer in their posts. lol.

As to this specific post, I can see 2400 grafts being used to cover the receded parts AND fill in the remaining forelock. 2400 is pretty much what you would need to decently cover the entire forelock.

Wow that was very well explained and covers a lot of the questions I've had about Wesley. His thoughts were very well explained and I understand it now. Wish I was shown this when I first commented on Wesley's results. Seems like a top quality doctor. 

• Administrators

Guys, 

lets not curse, it cheapens our message and site.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey, @FUEgetaboutit is spot on with this.  Wesley's a very careful doctor, looking decades in the future rather than just plopping 2500 grafts on your hairline and leaving you to weather the midlife consequences. He's explicit about this in his consults. Here's another recent video from him on the topic:  https://youtu.be/bquQZliq5cY

I have similar hair loss characteristics - a thinning forelock (stabilized on Propecia for two years, but still lacking normal density) coupled with a severely receded hairline, especially on the right side. I got a 2551 graft procedure (mixed FUT and FUE) from Wesley about five weeks ago. It was a breeze. He filled in the recessions, but he also strengthened the forelock and shored up my midscalp a little.  No shaving required - he simply worked around my existing hair, and I was able to cover up the grafts pretty easily.  Wesley's staff is lovely and his bedside manner is superb (I think that's pretty well established on this forum already).  His office could definitely do a better job communicating/engaging on this and other forums, but they have a pretty light web presence to begin with, so maybe that's just not their focus.

I can't speak for the final result yet, but I've experienced little to no shock loss so far, either in the forelock or the donor area (by the way, a clever stylist can camouflage even a recent FUT scar and still give you a pretty short cut on the sides).  I'm not out of the woods just yet - shock loss might still happen over the next month or two - but so far so good.

I'm quite happy with Wesley at the moment.  I'll try to check in next year and post some before/afters.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/2/2020 at 2:51 PM, FUEgetaboutit said:

This is profoundly insightful. Has taken me a long time to come to terms with the point Wesley makes in this video.

Should be required viewing for anyone considering a hair transplant.