Will the Coronavirus Affect The Hair Transplant Industry?

Melvin- Admin

I wouldn't think there would be as big of an impact on the HT industry as there already is in the service and entertainment industries, but I think every industry will be affected to some degree. The upside for the hair transplant industry, however, is that these surgeons aren't dealing with and treating sick patients, so they may be able to continue practicing without a huge negative impact on business. Ntm a fair amount of HT recipients make decent money, so they may not be as susceptible to financial strain as other demographics. Best case scenario, we're able to look back at this years down the road and think "Man, we really overreacted..."  - but that's sorta the point. When dealing with unknown variables, the alternative would be to not be cautious enough and end up with a lot of senseless death and suffering because of it, so whatever we can do to minimize that in the long run is fine by me. (And speaking as someone who gets a majority of my income through both the service and entertainment industries, believe me - I'm already feeling the financial burden of this... But much better safe than sorry.) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

corona is here for few months with only small percent of population got infected and the whole world working on a cure intensively, yet this cursed hairloss disease is here for ages with much larger scale but no cure on the horizon 😭

15 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I work for a popular healthcare provider I'm positive you have heard of, they're especially popular in California, they have already started trials. I highly doubt it's going to take 1 year to get a vaccination. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/human-trials-testing-coronavirus-vaccine-could-begin-within-a-few-weeks.html

@Melvin-Moderator the link you posted actually says "with a vaccine ready for public use within the next 12 to 18 months, a top U.S. health official said Thursday."

Therefore, it seems by the link you posted that @Legend007 was indeed right on saying that it will take up to a year and half untill we see a vaccine.

Edited by Portugal25

The fear will be if one of these Virus's mutates to a more aggressive strain.. You can see how quickly something like this could potentially cull swathes of people which is quite worrying.  Theres a lot of things that quite frankly stink about it like the Wuhan Virology clinic but we won't go there.  'Pandemic' conveniently appearing on Netflix few weeks back.. Like it was written as an introduction for Coronavirus.

If i was booked in for a HT i might consider moving it out a few months.  I would hope most clinics would be sympathetic and flexible given the situation.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Until I see the super wealthy and their family members as wells as all these panacea-paced politicians or their family dropping dead, then I’ll be more concerned (and yes, I’m aware some celebrities and politicians are possibly infected, but until I see their funerals, I’ll take each day as it comes).

45736DA6-6A84-4E83-B074-9D0892B61B50.jpeg

😂 that’s pretty dead on. Omg I remember Y2K 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@CosmoKramer and @Melvin-Moderator I also remember Y2K (that nobody cared about in Europe) and it’s was nothing like the war like scenario we are now living!

Policed mandatory curfew, empty supermarket shelves, closed borders, public services shutdown and all commercial services open to the public either closed or very with limited access. 

There are has been nothing like this since world war II.

F483747A-7C18-448B-9427-BF9A8F81CC11.jpeg

EEA5E3F2-ACDB-447E-A858-802E862C1998.jpeg

29C8D1FF-73DC-4DCB-82C0-EEDAB563F373.jpeg

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Portugal25 said:

@CosmoKramer and @Melvin-Moderator I also remember Y2K (that nobody cared about in Europe) and it’s was nothing like the war like scenario we are now living!

Policed mandatory curfew, empty supermarket shelves, closed borders, public services shutdown and all commercial services open to the public either closed or very with limited access. 

Honestly, this is because it’s mass hysteria. Now, I’m not downplaying the gravity of the issue, but that is a frenzy. It reminds me of the aids era, when people were behaving with irrational fear. When I look at the facts, it’s unlikely to kill, especially those that are young and healthy. I’m taking precautions, but we have to be rational about the whole thing.

Leaving grocery stores ransacked is taking it to the extreme. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

What really breaks my heart is all the mom and pop stores shutting down from this widespread fear. A lot of Chinese communities in the US are feeling a huge impact, because people are scared to even go to their stores. Even though they haven’t been to China, that’s irrational fear, and it’s best we not get carried away with it. 

• Like 2

View my thread

8 minutes ago, duchaine said:

It is not mass hysteria.

people are dying.

the hospitals are collapsing.

the doctors are getting sick.

there is no wat to take care of everybody.

Some people think it's just a flu.. they don't understand that the virus spreads easily and it's unlike other viruses that we had in the past.. people always come up with conspiracy theories now unfortunately..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

😂 that’s pretty dead on. Omg I remember Y2K 

Me too...I remember how panicked people were that Y2K would have nuclear power plants melting and airplanes falling out of the sky and unities not running...this drama seems similar if not more..

4 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

Well Y2K was pretty crazy here in the US if I recall.

The images are scary but this is a result of corporate owned media scaring the shit out of people 24/7 and those people demanding politicians do something and then those politicians pass these new laws and restrictions and that panaceas leads to making this situation worse.

I have been following this closely since early January and to me..something is rotten in the state of Denmark...

I do not want to see any innocent people die, either from a virus or violence that can easily boil-over from people being frustrated and feeling helpless. 

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What really breaks my heart is all the mom and pop stores shutting down from this widespread fear. A lot of Chinese communities in the US are feeling a huge impact, because people are scared to even go to their stores. Even though they haven’t been to China, that’s irrational fear, and it’s best we not get carried away with it. 

I completely agree with you Melvin.

Im truly saddened at the thought of all the local mom & pop and small businesses that will be gone due to fear and media hysteria, while giant chains rake in the profits for all the buying up of supplies.

Earlier this morning I decided to go to my local Costco and it was such a madhouse that I just walked out and decided to go to the Aldi nearby, it was also packed but not as crazy and tense and I talked to a nice elderly Taiwanese lady in line and we remained upbeat and agreed that a lot seems very fishy with the situation but maintained that we wouldn’t panic because panic begets panic.

2 hours ago, duchaine said:

It is not mass hysteria.

people are dying.

the hospitals are collapsing.

the doctors are getting sick.

there is no wat to take care of everybody.

Please show me the sources where I can see this and not just from the media looping the same video footage of people in hazmat suits attending to the same persons. Like if said, in the immediate social media world we live in we should be seeing the friends and families of all the victims sharing their stories...I have just seen one across several media outlets of a man who’s sister passed away, very sad, but were are all the other family members and their outrage? 

The media makes mistakes and does misinform ...showing skepticism is needed in times of crisis of those that control the flow of information, you and others may disagree but Wikileaks and Snowden have shown us that governments and media lie and enable each other.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

I completely agree with you Melvin.

Im truly saddened at the thought of all the local mom & pop and small businesses that will be gone due to fear and media hysteria, while giant chains rake in the profits for all the buying up of supplies.

Earlier this morning I decided to go to my local Costco and it was such a madhouse that I just walked out and decided to go to the Aldi nearby, it was also packed but not as crazy and tense and I talked to a nice elderly Taiwanese lady in line and we remained upbeat and agreed that a lot seems very fishy with the situation but maintained that we wouldn’t panic because panic begets panic.

Yea, 

Costco is ridiculous, it’s bordering on irrational. There’s no need for this.

It’s like someone yelling fire, everyone would be safe and have a higher likelihood of surviving, if we remain calm. Instead, we trample over each other and more people end up dying. 

• Like 1

View my thread

2 hours ago, Abi28 said:

Some people think it's just a flu.. they don't understand that the virus spreads easily and it's unlike other viruses that we had in the past.. people always come up with conspiracy theories now unfortunately..

And for years if you thought that tech corporations and the government were spying on you you were call a conspiracy theorist...and now it’s common acknowledged knowledge.

I stick to the saying: Believe non of which you hear or read and only half of what you see. 

Questioning our leaders and media whom abuse their powers often, is not something to just be brushed aside.

1 minute ago, CosmoKramer said:

And for years if you thought that tech corporations and the government were spying on you you were call a conspiracy theorist...and now it’s common acknowledged knowledge.

I stick to the saying: Believe non of which you hear or read and only half of what you see. 

Questioning our leaders and media whom abuse their powers often, is not something to just be brushed aside.

It has nothing to do with your leaders or media, this is a virus that's spreading around the world and killing people, I have friends and family in Europe and the Middle east, they can't go outside because the virus spreads easily, everyone is worried because it's serious, stop question the seriousness of the virus. Also @duchaine lives in Italy and he knows what's happening there.. stop saying it's media and hype and all that BS

• Like 2

I’m currently watching our Cheeto in Chief and he just introduced a partnership with big Data, Google to collect info everyone seeking questions or testing and partnerships with major huge biomedical and retail corporations that already know a lot about everyone. .History has shown that civil liberties are revoked in times of crisis, manufactured or real.

1 minute ago, Abi28 said:

It has nothing to do with your leaders or media, this is a virus that's spreading around the world and killing people, I have friends and family in Europe and the Middle east, they can't go outside because the virus spreads easily, everyone is worried because it's serious, stop question the seriousness of the virus. Also @duchaine lives in Italy and he knows what's happening there.. stop saying it's media and hype and all that BS

Of course it does...the media hysteria has panicked people to believe everything their told...like in the list I posted, the media  and politicians did the same with every other crisis. All I ask is where are all the family of the victims and dead...wouldn’t the media be interviewing as many as possible to share their story???? I lived through 9/11 and saw daily the grief of thousands of family members of the victims sharing their loved ones story ...And every anniversary we share their names. 

I will not stop asking questions if things don’t look right....should I just accept everything being said and told and panic myself and my friends and family and loose our livelyhood secluding ourselves for weeks (now they tell us the virus can be up to 37 days incubation)...do you want to be in a perpetual state of panic at seeing empty grocery store shelves which could be empty for weeks or months when stock runs out in warehouses...and since there are work and travel restrictions whom will grow the food, whom will package and distribute it to the shelves, whom will cook the foods in restaurants in cafes...if everyone is in a state of constant quarantine??...if that’s what you want than that’s your prerogative.

57 million people died globally in 2016 according to the WHO...many died of preventable diseases, if it were not for greed many would be alive...but where was/is the 24/7 media panic??? Where were the politicians to put laws and lock downs on pharmaceutical corporations preventing them from charging $300 for insulin that costs them $1 to make, and many low-income people dying because they were forced to ration???....Where was the lockdown to stop the spread of the opioid deaths?????

I will put down my bet that this virus will not even come close to the amount of the deaths from preventable diseases like those mention and in The WHO’s own reports.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

Edited by CosmoKramer

Just now, CosmoKramer said:

57 million people died globally in 2016 according to the WHO...many died of preventable diseases, if it were not for greed many would be alive...but where was/is the 24/7 media panic??? Where were the politicians to put laws and lock downs on pharmaceutical corporations preventing them from charging $300 for insulin that costs them $1 to make, and many low-income people dying because they were forced to ration???....Where was the lockdown to stop the spread of the opioid deaths?????

I will put down my bet that this virus will not even come close to one of the deaths from preventable diseases like those mention and in The WHO’s own reports.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

Do you even know anything about the corona virus and how it spreads? You are clueless 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

Do you even know anything about the corona virus and how it spreads? You are clueless 

I do, do you?...or what the news tell you?

Why are you ignoring my questions on the massive preventable deaths each year from the other reports???? Don’t those deserve panic and action to stop????

Edited by CosmoKramer

Just now, CosmoKramer said:

I do, do you?...or what the news tell you?

I don't even watch the news, I have family members in Europe and the Middle east, everyone is not going to work and is at home now because of how serious this is, this has nothing to do with the United states the media and your leaders.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Really, so you mean no one can leave India, or no one can enter?

Most countries are having all incoming passengers quarantined for a minimum of 2 weeks upon entry.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY