Work done by Doctors vs Techs

I would like get some clarity on something - when researching a clinic, how important is it when deciding what the doctor does vs the techs?

I.e i know doctor should always do the strip, but don’t we want him to also do the incisions and placing the grafts? I’ve seen different things here from some of the more recommended doctors and want to better understand the nuances. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think it depends, some surgeons get great results with techs doing most of the work. That said, I prefer to have a surgeon perform critical aspects of the surgery. 

Creating the sites is critical, because that dictates the angle, depth and density of the procedure. Placing the grafts isn’t as critical, techs simply place the grafts in pre-made incisions.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There are legal issues as well. Certain states have laws that say only the doctor can score the skin. I think it is only a matter of time before all states will have similar laws. I do agree with Melvin that the recipient sites must be made by the doctor as they determine the angle and direction of the hair growth.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For me, the two most important things you want the surgeon to do - no questions asked - is 1) scoring the grafts and 2) making the recipient sites. The technicians are there to support in removing the extracted grafts once dislodged, sorting, counting, cleaning, etc. and then placing them in the recipient sites the surgeon made. The surgeon should also oversee all of this and make sure the grafts are placed correctly and adjust any grafts that need adjusting.

And as Dr. Charles mentioned, there are laws in place in some areas stating that the surgeons are the only ones who can score the skin, but you want to make sure this is being followed. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 3/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Placing the grafts isn’t as critical, techs simply place the grafts in pre-made incisions.

It is surely less critical but:

- Singles and multies have to placed to different regions

- Grafts should not be mishandled 

- And almost forgotten: Almost all grafts have a bend/curve, therefore the direction of the graft in the slit still effects the growth of the hair and have to be placed in the proper way (so that the bending goes towards the head and not the other way around for example). 

Personally, I think experienced techs should handle this task well, but … only the best clinics have the best techs. A tech can come and go and surgeon can't (in most cases). 

• Like 2