Hair Transplant Travel with CoronaVirus

How does everyone feel regarding current and next 6 month travel with for a hair transplant with the Coronavirus issues globally? I am looking at a hair transplant abroad but not sure if the timing is right. It is an elective procedure so I do not want to be sick during recovery and do not want to increase my risk of catching something traveling to India/Thailand/Turkey

I just had a consultation a week ago, and have another one in spain in  a month. I myself dont care about the virus, but the problems are that firss my country require solitary confinement when coming back from those countries, and also I dont know what are the regulations in spain right now and whether it will change. Also the clinic just contacted me and said they need to talk to me, I hope they wont cancel the appointment...

Anyway, ye it's a problem right now...  I just hope that until my procedure appointment it will be over

36 minutes ago, karatekid said:

Ok I just got a call confirming my appointment, they say there are no problems in spain right now, so Im happy

No virus will stop me from getting my hair back, brother  💪

When it comes to your health you have to do your own research and not rely on others..

''The number of cases jumped to 999 on Monday from 589 on March 8, the health ministry said. Some 26 people have died as a result of the virus, ABC reported."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-09/spain-says-coronavirus-cases-almost-doubled-overnight-to-999

There a several very good clinics here in the U.S. Are you strictly going over seas to save money? Keep in mind if things do not go as planned and you had surgery in one of these foriegn countries. The cost of repair might end up costing you more.

I would not travel abroad as of this moment for an elective procedure. Residency program directors are telling residents not to travel abroad or risk having their residency lengthened. Don't risk your health and life. They're asking people not to take mass transit in NYC:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-issues-new-commuter-guidelines-to-combat-coronavirus-spread/2317584/

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

10 hours ago, Abi28 said:

When it comes to your health you have to do your own research and not rely on others..

''The number of cases jumped to 999 on Monday from 589 on March 8, the health ministry said. Some 26 people have died as a result of the virus, ABC reported."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-09/spain-says-coronavirus-cases-almost-doubled-overnight-to-999

What you talking about, I dont care about the virus, when I said problems, I meant 1) that the clinic itself is ok with having patients abroad, and 2) that there are no regulation by the government

I don’t want to trivialize it...but people and the media are blowing this virus out of proportion...as they do every few years with other viruses...if you are under the age of 60 years, have no underlying health conditions and are relatively healthy eat a healthy immune boosting diet drink plenty of water, and wash your hands often...all will be fine. 

The amount of people that have recovered from the virus is almost half of the infections rate and growing...but the media is not reporting that now are they...

I have not stopped going to work, public places and even still hitting the gym almost daily and living in NYC I’m not afraid of taking mass transit....and I am a germaphobe...I probably wash my hands dozens of times a day. Fear, panic and paranoia is much more crippling than any virus could ever be.

19 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

I don’t want to trivialize it...but people and the media are blowing this virus out of proportion...as they do every few years with other viruses...if you are under the age of 60 years, have no underlying health conditions and are relatively healthy eat a healthy immune boosting diet drink plenty of water, and wash your hands often...all will be fine. 

The amount of people that have recovered from the virus is almost half of the infections rate and growing...but the media is not reporting that now are they...

I have not stopped going to work, public places and even still hitting the gym almost daily and living in NYC I’m not afraid of taking mass transit....and I am a germaphobe...I probably wash my hands dozens of times a day. Fear, panic and paranoia is much more crippling than any virus could ever be.

Yes most people do recover especially young people with no health issues but this is a serious virus that can spread easily, if you can get infected and if you get in touch with people almost all of them will get infected with the virus, there are hundred of deaths in Europe, Italy is in a total shutdown right now, nobody is able to go outside anymore, the virus is spreading like wildfire and there is no stopping. This is serious and the issue is that if you get infected you have to go in quarantine for 14 days, it's not a joke.. yes it's not as deadly as ebola and other dangerous viruses but this virus easily spreads and it's not joke.

36 minutes ago, karatekid said:

What you talking about, I dont care about the virus, when I said problems, I meant 1) that the clinic itself is ok with having patients abroad, and 2) that there are no regulation by the government

I was talking about the fact that you said no virus will stop you from getting a hair transplant, traveling is not safe right now, the numbers of people infected doubled from 500 to 1000 in 1 day in spain, and 200 new cases were discovered in Madrid in 1 day, Italy shutdown the whole country right now, other countries are probably going to do the same because it's spreading like wildfire, so imagine if the number of cases went from 500 to 1000 in day, this has the potential to go to 10000 in a few days, spain could easily do the same as italy and shutdown everything, at the end of the day it's your choice but I am just letting you know that this is serious.

1 hour ago, Abi28 said:

Yes most people do recover especially young people with no health issues but this is a serious virus that can spread easily, if you can get infected and if you get in touch with people almost all of them will get infected with the virus, there are hundred of deaths in Europe, Italy is in a total shutdown right now, nobody is able to go outside anymore, the virus is spreading like wildfire and there is no stopping. This is serious and the issue is that if you get infected you have to go in quarantine for 14 days, it's not a joke.. yes it's not as deadly as ebola and other dangerous viruses but this virus easily spreads and it's not joke.

The Ebola virus was upppsed to kill us all...as was the bird flu...as was SARS...as was Zika virus...as was West Nile...and many more...the media infected the masses with fear and paranoia for ratings...while I always keep my eye and ears open and am cautious I remain skeptical and calm...just as I did for all those other “outbreaks”

If the Italian officials want to keep people locked in fear and let their economy collapse and than that is their choice, we are not in the Middle Ages...keeping things clean and sanitary is not that difficult nor expensive and out of reach.

The collapse of the airline/travel industry, tourism, restaurant, grocery store, sporting events, concerts, museums, employment due to overblown panache is far scarier to me.

• Administrators

Great topic, 

I think it would be wise to postpone travel for a few months. However, I don't think traveling for an HT would be out of the question, give it time- this whole Corona Virus thing will die down.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

42 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

The Ebola virus was upppsed to kill us all...as was the bird flu...as was SARS...as was Zika virus...as was West Nile...and many more...the media infected the masses with fear and paranoia for ratings...while I always keep my eye and ears open and am cautious I remain skeptical and calm...just as I did for all those other “outbreaks”

If the Italian officials want to keep people locked in fear and let their economy collapse and than that is their choice, we are not in the Middle Ages...keeping things clean and sanitary is not that difficult nor expensive and out of reach.

The collapse of the airline/travel industry, tourism, restaurant, grocery store, sporting events, concerts, museums, employment due to overblown panache is far scarier to me.

Come one man, this has nothing to do with ratings, this is serious, Ebola is more deadly than the Corona virus we all know that but the issue with the Corona virus is that it spreads in a dangerous way. Hundreds of people died in Italy, and the virus is spreading in a crazy way, just because you wash your hands doesn't mean you can't get infected, stop listening to Trump..

42 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Nothing overblown about a dangerous virus that is spreading like wildfire.. 

24 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

Come one man, this has nothing to do with ratings, this is serious, Ebola is more deadly than the Corona virus we all know that but the issue with the Corona virus is that it spreads in a dangerous way. Hundreds of people died in Italy, and the virus is spreading in a crazy way, just because you wash your hands doesn't mean you can't get infected, stop listening to Trump..

Nothing overblown about a dangerous virus that is spreading like wildfire.. 

Firstly...Ebola is more deadly...coronavirus from what I’ve read is transmitted from close proximity to an infected person that coughs or sneezes right on you...as similar to catching a cold or flu from another (I’m not comparing the sysmptoms but the way it’s caught) keeping a distance form those that are sick from the cold/flu or coronavirus infected person and washing your hands works, even the CDC say so...forcing tens of millions of people to quarantine when the risk is very low seems counterproductive. You will see people succumbing to doing necessary things to gain food and necessities when their supply runs out, it could get much more dangerous that what the virus could do.

Secondly, yes, the media makes massive profits from advertising and gaining fearful viewers....millions of people of all ages die every year from cancer/heart disease/flu/accidents/poisoned food-water-pharmaceutical drugs/hunger but it’s never as reported on as this or the other “outbreaks” have been...so excuse me for being skeptical. When I see the rich and powerful and politicians dropping dead from the coronavirus virus, then I’ll take it more seriously.

Thirdy...I’m not a Trump supporter so that’s not the case.

There are 7.34 billion people on this earth...90,000 possibly infected is not “spreading like wildfire” in my opinion. Fear is the thing spreading like wildfire.

Edited by CosmoKramer

6 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Firstly...Ebola is more deadly...coronavirus from what I’ve read is transmitted from close proximity to an infected person that coughs or sneezes right on you...as similar to catching a cold or flu from another (I’m not comparing the sysmptoms but the way it’s caught) keeping a distance form those that are sick from the cold/flu or coronavirus infected person and washing your hands works, even the CDC say so...forcing tens of millions of people to quarantine when the risk is very low seems counterproductive. You will see people succumbing to doing necessary things to gain food and necessities when their supply runs out, it could get much more dangerous that what the virus could do.

Secondly, yes, the media makes massive profits from advertising and gaining fearful viewers....millions of people of all ages die every year from cancer/heart disease/flu/accidents/poisoned food-water-pharmaceutical drugs/hunger but it’s never as reported on as this or the other “outbreaks” have been...so excuse me for being skeptical. When I see the rich and powerful and politicians dropping dead from the coronavirus virus, then I’ll take it more seriously.

Thirdy...I’m not a Trump supporter so that’s not the case.

There are 7.34 billion people on this earth...90,000 possibly infected is not “spreading like wildfire” in my opinion. Fear is the thing spreading like wildfire.

I agree with some of the points you made but the problem with the virus is that it stays in your body for 14 days so you can have it but show no symptoms, so you go to work and back home and infect everyone else without you knowing you even had it, that's the issue. You can get infected if you get within 6 feet of someone who has it, they don't have to sneeze in your face for you to get infected, if you are sitting on a plane with someone who has it than it could easily spreads between those passengers, they go home thinking they are okay and spread it to their friends and families and then 2 weeks later the symptoms appears, that's why they quarantine people for 14 days. Also If you look at the numbers the past 3 days you would understand how fast it is spreading, and there are around 110,000 cases reported now and the virus is only a few weeks old. I agree with you the corona virus is similar to the flu, it's like a stronger version of the flu and the people that are dying are mostly old people with  health problems and weak immune system, the only thing that makes the virus dangerous is the way it spreads and that's the reason a lot of places are closing to try and contain the virus. 

And I agree with some of what you say....but I don’t take everything as fact when the officials don’t even know for sure, they just recently said and admitted that some of the test might be inaccurate and possibly false positives...so does that mean that people weren’t infected and just possibly had other conditions that made them ill and were added to the statistic anyway?....or does it mean that that they can’t get the tests right?...and how do they know that you can get infected if you’re within 6-feet of someone? Unless they breathe/cough/sneeze on you or near you and you inhale their mist I’ve never read of germs leaping 2-3-4-5-6 feet off of one person and onto another...and like l said I’m a germaphobe. Also, this whole 14-day quarantine and lockdown...it makes no sense since the person(s) will go back to work/school/out in public and what if they come in contact with someone that has an actual cold or flu or just coughs from dust or has allergies...then it’s back to another 2-weeks of quarantine and so on and so forth...whom will not be in quarantine to grow and farm food or sell it or work jobs that are vital to infrastructure?...And buying into this panacea will lead to violence as now people’s uber high anxiety of someone near them coughing is triggering anger as it did on an airplane here in the US and on cruise ships in recent days...it’s ridiculous.

We are not in the Middle Ages...but all this bullshit could bring us back to it if we let it.

Edit: I also want to add...this virus is not a few weeks old...it’s been around since December, so more like 3 months, just to clarify.

Edited by CosmoKramer

7 hours ago, Abi28 said:

I was talking about the fact that you said no virus will stop you from getting a hair transplant, traveling is not safe right now, the numbers of people infected doubled from 500 to 1000 in 1 day in spain, and 200 new cases were discovered in Madrid in 1 day, Italy shutdown the whole country right now, other countries are probably going to do the same because it's spreading like wildfire, so imagine if the number of cases went from 500 to 1000 in day, this has the potential to go to 10000 in a few days, spain could easily do the same as italy and shutdown everything, at the end of the day it's your choice but I am just letting you know that this is serious.

As I said, I understand, but dont care about it, Im young, Im healthy, the virus doesnt concern me. Besides, the virus exists also in my country, so what does it matter actually

About Spain closing itself anytime soon - ye that will a problem, I hope it wont happen

• Administrators

I’d like to hear from our Italian members @Egy @duchaine I hear the country id blocked from traveling. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Moderators

The problem is the media. The flu is around every year, but nobody is ever in a panic about it. From the internet:

While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. 

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus. 

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

The problem is the media. The flu is around every year, but nobody is ever in a panic about it. From the internet:

While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. 

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus. 

Great point

View my thread

6 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

The problem is not the media, this is not the Flu, the numbers are totally different, Seasonal flu has a death rate of 0.1%, COVID-19 death rate has jumped to 4% and is 6% in Italy.

@Melvin-Moderator I know how much you know, I only know that the situation in Italy is not the best, what I know, I get to know it only from the news of the news, that is to say that in almost all countries, flights from Italy are blocked.  I just hope that soon we will get out of this bad situation.

I agree...this is probably not the ideal time to travel abroad, so unless you have definitely made your decision on a surgeon overseas, possibly consider some choices here in the USA.

Having said that, obviously we are not getting the truth from the media regarding a more accurate number of infected cases here in the US.

My wife and I were watching the news just yesterday and the major news networks were stating that our area in the greater Wash DC area had no infected cases of record....not that we believed it!

Then this morning, the same networks stated hundreds of cases in our area...just the opposite...so who knows?!...🤥

Edited by gillenator
  • Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’d like to hear from our Italian members @Egy @duchaine I hear the country id blocked from traveling. 

@Melvin-Moderator it is a scary situation.
Everything is closed, the laws change every other day, the number of sick people increases day by day and our sick/dead people is worst than China's because Italian are older.
We can't travel. We are not allowed to go to the airport and, in case, many countries, like turkey, closed their doors too italians.

Edited by duchaine
  • Like 1