Shave 4 Weeks Post Op

Hi Guys just wanted to know what everyone else out there thinks or if anyone has had any experience with this.

Im approaching 3.5 weeks post op and had some work done to my receeding hairline. Alot of the grpahs are shedding, probably 50% if not more have gone now.

Im due to return to work in a few days (4 week mark) and work in a large office environment with thousands of people. I want to know if it is ok to use a razor and shave the hairs that have not yet shed so that I will go back to the way I looked before I had the transplant.

Once this is done I was planning on using a little makeup to cover the slight pinkness in the recipient area.

So far I have had no problems with my HT and feel im healing quite well.

My understanding is from reading alot of different types of posts on this forum that after the 10 days is up you are pretty much free to do whatever to your new hair, within reason of course. The only major thing is to stay out of the sun and not get burnt. Obvisouly i would not want to do anything to comprimise a potentially good result.

Just wanting to know if using a razor would be ok until the hairs all fall out.

I've seen this asked a few times on the forum and the answer was always that it should be no problem to shave the recipient area 4 weeks post op with a razor.

I shaved a small part of my recipient area around 7 weeks post op, although that was just a one-off event that I couldn't avoid.

Obviously make sure you use a new and clean razor - you don't want to get an infection at this stage.

You should also feel free to send questions to the clinic that performed the work since they should be there to help you.

thanks scottishGuy they are falling out quickly but I dont think all will go in 4 days....

how did u combat the pinkness in the recipient area???

my hair loss pattern is similar to yours however slightly further along than yours...my forelock is not as think as yours. I only managed 2900 graphs as my scalp was too tight.

It's pretty likely that not all the hairs will shed. Typically 10% or so will continue to grow as if nothing happened.

To combat the pinkness you have two strategies: one is to actually try to reduce the pinkness and the other is to conceal it.

I was suffering from pimples in the recipient area from around 5 weeks post op so I used polysporin to combat those. I did notice that the pinkness also reduced after a few weeks of this treatment, but perhaps this would have happened naturally.

I also started using aloe vera gel more recently (this is easily absorbed by the skin so it can be used twice a day) and noticed further improvement. Many people swear by this for reducing pinkness so I'd recommend it if you don't already use it.

To conceal pinkness I used a light face powder. This didn't completely hide the pinkness but gave me enough confidence to leave the house icon_smile.gif The one downside is that it tends to wear off as the day goes on (this will be more noticeable if you have oily skin). In that case you should probably take some with you to apply more at lunch time or whatever.

If you have female friends/gf/wife that knows about your HT, then they can probably give you better advice about how to conceal it icon_smile.gif

Well I went through with the Shave..... so far seems to be quite successful and helped alot... I Also got a female to help with some makeup to help cover up the pinkness in the hairline/new reciepient area as best as possible and it also seems to work pretty goood.... I mean there is a slight discolouration but it looks good enough not to attract much attention. You can really only see if within a foot or 2 of my head and even then you would have to know exactly what you were looking for to notice so im quite happy...

I will take some pics later if anyone is interested to look at it.

I will also document the comming months to let people know if it affected my growth in the recipient area or not. Fingers crossed by shaving the new hairs with a razor at 4 weeks and also applying womens makeup to the area wont affect my results. This way people faced with my dilema will have a concrete answer to work with.

Thanks scottish guy for your help in the matter. Very helpful

could you not of worn a hat of some sort and told your boss you had hurt your head and was told to keep it covered by the hospital. just a thought

Dr A. Armani 2500 Fue

Dec 2008

Proscar X1 Day

Monixodil X2 Day

Msm Daily

Im 3 1/2 weeks since my HT too. Pinkness in the front as well. Its slowly going but still obvious. Ive been wearing a hat since the HT but Im thoroughly sick of it.

so I went and bought some mineral foundation powder from the chemist today. I told the girl there that i had some reaction to a hair product that left me with pinkness. she said to avoid making it worse to use a non irritating mineral powder.

So I got some. works a treat. just brush it on with the brush...pinkness gone quick as...easy...no more hat for me. My crown is probably pink too but that could just look like too much sun so Im not worried.

Also tried a new hair colour for men today. Its called naturstyle and is much better than just for men Ive used in the past. Its ammonia and resourcinol free and includes a shampoo that lengthens the life of the colour to about 6 weeks. I used the blonde which came out light brown but a very natural look.

So Im all set to go for xmas. still bald but those new little suckers will be starting to grow....:-) Happy xmas to all who are reading......cheers

sunny

I wish i could balboa but I work in a suit and tie environment and i just dont think a hat would make the cut...even a top hat hahaha..... wish i could have but ah well.... I work in a very large company...several thousand so its hard....

Seems to have worked a treat tho thus far...

thanks sunnycoast man.... I think you were at dr paths the same day as myself for your post op check up...

I had a few odd stares at my head during meetings today but didnt last for long... I think most people were attracted to the area but obvisouly would not say anything to me...probably behind my back to others but what you dont hear cant hurt you... im just waiting for one curious person to say or ask something... anyway whats done is done and worrying about stuff like that solves nothing so hopefully the pinkness fades in the comming weeks.