• Administrators

Hey Guys,

I wanted to share my donor shock loss journey with you guys, I know I have seen quite a few threads come up lately, discussing whether their donor has been over harvested or if its shock loss. Unfortunately, with the advent of FUE, there are more cases coming up where donors have been completely over-harvested, but that isn't always the case. I'm gonna present some photos of my donor 6 months after my first hair transplant, and 3 months after my second hair transplant. My donor at one point, looked depleted and I would be lying if I didn't say I was self-conscious about it, but luckily it has resolved and my hair has gotten better over time. Lastly, I have posted what my donor looks like today, after 3 FUE procedures, which total 5,300 grafts. My last FUE was 3 1/2 years ago.

Now, I want to make it clear, you should not expect to have an FUE and see no signs of surgery. It's just not realistic, there will always be scarring, and the more surgeries and extractions you have, the more scars you have. My entire donor area is filled withe scars. Under certain lighting, or when my hair is wet, you will see my scalp, if my hair is short. You guys know I share all of this information, for educational purposes. If this is something you would not be okay with, I would say don't get a hair transplant. I give you guys raw information with no filter, as it should be on educational boards. My hair is currently cut to a #2 guard.

1st set of pics after my first FUE 6 months post op, I suffered some shock loss on the sides above my ear.

2nd set of pics are after my second FUE, my donor looked demolished 3 months after my procedure. 

3rd set of pics were taken today, after 5,300 grafts via FUE, 6 years after my first hair transplant, and 3 years since my last. 

4th video taken a few months ago, in motion the donor scars are harder to detect- this is how I look in real life.

image4.JPG

image3.JPG

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

Image-1 (1) copy.jpg

Image-1 (1) copy 3.jpg

Image-1 (1) copy 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

@Egy

You are absolutely right, those areas will never grow back. As mentioned, in some instances there is over harvesting, especially with these low-cost FUE clinics that do 5-6k grafts in one session. That said, your donor has improved remarkably well, and if I’m being honest. I don’t think anyone would notice those areas. Wish you the best brother 🙏🏼 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Great post Melvin. I think people with dark hair and lighter skin have the most scarring/depletion that will show. If you have those two mentioned characteristics along with thicker hair, that’s an even worse combo as the doctor will need to use bigger punches to accommodate your thicker roots. I think a lot of people are convinced that fue is nearly scarless and that’s not the case at all. The best results I’ve seen regarding scarring are those with light skin, lighter hair, and thinner hairs where the doctor can safely use small punches such as 8mm. 

after 5300 grafts I think that amount of scarring looks normal given your hair and skin combo.

However, knowing what you know now, would u have opted for fut before?

• Administrators

Great topic, 

I’ll make a video on that soon. I agree light skin and dark hair is the worst for scarring and baldness.

View my thread

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HairFunk said:

Great post. I see a lot of people posting about shock loss here lately!

Thanks man, 

I truly hope this post helps those considering surgery.

View my thread

• 2 months later...

Hey @Melvin-Moderator just wanted to say thank you for the work you've done.  I'm a new poster and had a quick question for you.  Did you do only FUE or did you do a FUT surgery as well?  Your results look great.  

I'm considering my first transplant, and really appreciate your recs.  I've been looking into all of the NYC doctors, as I'm from here. Bloxham's results are incredible and I am planning to schedule an in-person consultation with him.  However, their practice seems to really stress FUT, as opposed to FUE.  I don't plan on ever shaving my head again (I've done it in the past) but a low guard fade is my preferred style.  I'm about where you were at your first surgery.  

• Administrators

I’ve only done FUE

View my thread

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Bumping for relevance today. My donor after an additional 2K extractions image.jpeg

View my thread