Dr. Hasson /4,010 Grafts/ FUE/ 1 Session/ 1 year post-op

This Vancouver-area patient in his mid 20’s came to us bothered by his weak hairline with receded corners. With above average donor hair and manageable areas of concern, Hasson determined he was a good candidate for a hair transplant procedure. With either method of extraction a consideration, he opted for FUE. During the course of the two-day procedure, Dr. Hasson and his team successfully harvested a total of 4010 grafts. Upon initial observation it might seem that something in the 2,000 to 2,500 graft range would suffice. However, considering all factors, Dr. Hasson was able to be a little more aggressive with hairline design. This coupled with the fact the recession in the corners extended deep into the frontal zone and even parts of the mid-scalp (more evident in the post-op pic) , the higher number was warranted. Day 1 of the harvest and implantation consisted of 2505 grafts with 300 being single hair grafts,1833 being doubles and 372 being 3-4 hair grafts. Day 2: 1505 total, 1182 doubles, 323 3-4 hair grafts. These photos were taken approximately 1 year post-op.

hair-transplant-surgery-after-4010-graft
cb-1.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators

WOW incredible hair, I wish I had that much hair haha

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, James C said:

Hey Doug, 

Out of curiosity? why was 4000 grafts used for such a small area of loss? Doesn’t the average patient only have 6-8000 lifetime grafts?

This. 

Would love to hear a statement behind using this many grafts for the hairline for a patient at such a young age. 

• Like 1

Looking at this guys hair in the 1 year post op pics, I’m gonna take a guess that he has a considerable above average donor, and that was one of the key considerations that was meant when Doug stated ‘considering all factors’. Also, when a patients native hair density is such, you have to resource more grafts to match as closely as you can, to blend the procedure in with the remaining frontal forelock, otherwise it’d stand out.

The end result is beautiful. What I want to know is how a guy in his mid 20’s can afford 4000 FUE with H&W 😂

Edited by Curious25
Spelling

1 hour ago, Cristero said:

I agree with the guys above. 4k for such area is an overkill.

Hopefully the patient loss won't progress more, to the point where another procedure will be needed.

My guess is we’re gonna get a response along the lines of him having exceptional donor with limited foreseeable loss elsewhere. Although i still think 4K is a lot. Even if he does have 8k grafts in his donor. I’m only comparing this to other cases that used 1500-2000 grafts for the same degree of hair loss .. with similar density 

I saw cases from Dr. Couto covering the frontal third with a great dense effect with only 1.8k grafts.

While I believe these are the exceptions, we are talking about more than the double of grafts to cover a way smaller area.

Considering the patients is pretty young and no one knows how his AGA will progress, in my opinion that was a bad call. 

Hi guys, thank you for the comments.

Curios25 probably summed it up best.

Did you guys look at the post-op shots? It’s not just hairline work here. The work extends into the frontal zone and mid-scalp. I thought I explained the reason for the higher number in the recap. This is nothing new for Dr. Hasson’s results if you’ve noticed. He can dense pack better than anyone I’ve ever seen. Most patients want the highest density, within reason, they can get. In some cases this density is essential and warranted for the absolute best result. In other cases a lesser density is acceptable. It’s a numbers game. You can’t create a great result with good density unless you have a certain number of grafts to work with. All things being equal, the more grafts the better it will look. A substantially lower number of grafts for the same area will not look as good, period. Other factors such as hair shaft diameter play a role in how many grafts are necessary. A patient with fine hair may need 4,000 grafts in the same area a patient with coarse hair may only need 3,000 or less. My opinion of course is good call….🙂

• Like 1

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators
2 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

Hi HTHope,

These are 1 day post-op

new-pic-1.jpg
new-pic-2.jpg

Looks immaculate 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.