Should I get FUT or FUE (photos attached)

Hey Everybody, 

I wanted to post a few pics to see if you think FUT or FUE would be best for me / people with hair similar to mine.

The first 5 doctors I talked to all recommended 1,500 to 1,800 FUE and 1 doctor (part of this network) said 2,400 FUE, much higher. I then came across 2 of the top doctors on this form and both said they could do up to 1,800 FUE but would recommend FUT of around 2,400 to 2,500 grafts.

I was told FUT was best for me to: hedge my bets (I'm 27), because i have light fine hair which is more vulnerable during an FUE and because FUT has the best results for surgeries over 1,800 (transection, safe zone, etc)

The scar and recovery with FUT has always scared me and i thought FUE was a no brainer. However, I'm starting to lean towards FUT now. I do not ever plan to completely shave my head so that isn't a factor but I do often cut my hair very short in the sides and back and why go through a long recovery and chance the long scar if you don't have to. Maybe I start with the 1,800 FUE and do FUT next if needed? But i've read its usually better the other way around..

It seems FUT is the best long term bet (usually) but you kinda wish within 15 years we find a way to increase the donor supply (cloning, etc). A bit of a gamble i guess. Anyways, I have included photos and would greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks!

625180665_Completelywetfront.thumb.jpg.3671be69bb4550d1a2501b2766851766.jpg1347721405_DryFront.thumb.jpg.f8afc471a3adf14feaa079bfe9040939.jpg601962520_Dryleft.thumb.jpg.06dde072af8c3b9a9dce49b4665efc5e.jpg1031013330_DryRSide.thumb.jpg.819d4c16454ea1cf28aca0e0f8912cce.jpg24554576_Drytop.thumb.jpg.ad91030733497e1dce7a670c47045abd.jpg1466783263_WetBack.thumb.jpg.a329c3267144db1c74b45d4496c9a101.jpg2045616648_WetTop.thumb.jpg.308dc625530c063ee83135a37806c21f.jpg

1297621377_DonorFullBack.thumb.jpg.3c06b8d260ba6ff0c9c38f501a9c4d96.jpg

2106135046_DrawnHairline.thumb.jpg.6e744d9aeb70516be6ac238ebd72c818.jpg

Edited by TheGreatGasby
more photos

A lot of doctors push for FUT because it is a lot easier for them that's why doctors charge more for FUE than FUT, reading transection rate etc it's bullshit, doctors who push for FUT come up with stuff like that. Go for FUE with a skilled doctor and don't risk having to deal with a scar behind your head, the scar can stretch etc, lots of guys on the forum went for scar repairs, imo FUE is the way to go and it's not even a question unless you are completely bald maybe but no.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

A lot of doctors push for FUT because it is a lot easier for them that's why doctors charge more for FUE than FUT, reading transection rate etc it's bullshit, doctors who push for FUT come up with stuff like that. Go for FUE with a skilled doctor and don't risk having to deal with a scar behind your head, the scar can stretch etc, lots of guys on the forum went for scar repairs, imo FUE is the way to go and it's not even a question unless you are completely bald maybe but no.

Although FUT does yield more grafts in the first place, at the beginning, it's definitely not that much grafts that it justifies the huge barbaric scar it leaves on the back of your head. It also forces you to wear longer hair on the back for the rest of your life. God forbid ever wanting to just quit hair and shaving your head, no way you can do that. So I agree, whilst it does have a better yield a bit for a first procedure, FUT does not justify the complications it leaves behind. FUE all the way IMHO.

• Like 1

You are a young guy with a lot of loss.  And, if you've shown the propensity to lose, this will continue.  Strong class 5 rapidly going to a 6.  And, looking at the donor, it looks like you are starting to experience retrograde.  First order of business is medical therapy.  Get on as many as you can since they work in different ways and give it 6-12 months.  Again, you're young with native hair that has not left the building.  If you can retain and enhance some/most of what you have, you can then plan on transplants towards the front.  FUE or FUT will depend on how much improvement there is on the donor.

The other side of this...is not to pay attention to any and all suggestions and move forward with the procedure.  If you are experiencing retrograde, all the grafts harvested from that area will be lost as well.  

27 with that much hair loss I wouldn’t recommend fue. I was in the same situation as you as far as hair loss. I would try Finasteride and see how you do with the drug.

1 hour ago, TheGreatGasby said:

I then came across 2 of the top doctors on this form and both said they could do up to 1,800 FUE but would recommend FUT of around 2,400 to 2,500 grafts.

Yea 2500 Fut looks about right to knock the frontal third out of the way.

51 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

don't risk having to deal with a scar behind your head, the scar can stretch etc, lots of guys on the forum went for scar repairs, imo FUE is the way to go

Theirs a lot of guys here with depleted donors from fue as well and that’s a lot worse than a stretched scar imho. 

21 minutes ago, Lohvisa said:

God forbid ever wanting to just quit hair and shaving your head, no way you can do that.

Says no guy ever that pays thousands of dollars for hair.

do research into both techniques and weight in the good and bad.

8 minutes ago, Tbcruz said:

Theirs a lot of guys here with depleted donors from fue as well and that’s a lot worse than a stretched scar imho. 

This would never happen if you go to a skilled doctor but an FUT scar can stretch even when done by a skilled doc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tbcruz said:

Says no guy ever that pays thousands of dollars for hair.

do research into both techniques and weight in the good and bad.

You do realise that sometimes people change their minds? They can get bored of hair? Or say, are not pleased with the gotten result, and even though they paid thousands of dollars, they realise they look better shaven? What are you on about mate..

47 minutes ago, Lohvisa said:

You do realise that sometimes people change their minds? They can get bored of hair? Or say, are not pleased with the gotten result, and even though they paid thousands of dollars, they realise they look better shaven? What are you on about mate..

They don’t change their mind because they got bored of hair. They change their minds because the ht they received wasn’t good and they lost faith in the procedure.

That is why everyone says shave your head before having a ht not after.

The only reason I even quoted what you said is because your telling thegreatgasby to not get an fut because of this “barbaric scar” when you don’t even know if he’s a candidate for fue. Not everyone has the grafts for fue. With fut it doesn’t matter on the kind of grafts you have.

Thats why I told thegreatgasby do some research into both procedures and make the best decision he can.

1 hour ago, Abi28 said:

This would never happen if you go to a skilled doctor but an FUT scar can stretch even when done by a skilled doc.

Your donor is getting depleted wether you can see it or not depends on the surgeon.

like I said I’ll take a stretched scar and a lot more hair on head. 

Edited by Tbcruz

29 minutes ago, Tbcruz said:

Your donor is getting depleted wether you can see it or not depends on the surgeon.

like I said I’ll take a stretched scar and a lot more hair on head. 

"alot more hair on head" is stretching it. A few hundred grafts more, yes. 

Also, not everyone shares your opinion. Maybe OP wouldn't trade a stretched scar for a couple hundred more grafts on his scalp.

2 hours ago, Lohvisa said:

"alot more hair on head" is stretching it. A few hundred grafts more, yes. 

Also, not everyone shares your opinion. Maybe OP wouldn't trade a stretched scar for a couple hundred more grafts on his scalp.

Could be a stretch but it gets the point across.

Your right, but same thing could be said about your opinion. That’s why at the end of post I told him to do his own research and make a decision.

I appreciate all the comments. Although I will add a few of them might be a bit more hyperbolic than constructive.

I understand that some people will want to shave their head but, trust me, I will not get 'bored' and want to shave my hair. I do agree that the risk of a stretched scar is not pleasant but I have seem some very good scars that are nearly imperceptible at a # 3  (i know this isn't always the case and some people have bad ones). I want to and will go to the "top" doctors and am not trying to skip out on price - I will be having the HT in North America. 

For context, no one is my family is bald although my mom's side does have a hairline similar to mine. Everyone has plenty of hair on back and sides and no one is bald up top either. This at least gives me an indication of where I am going, although I know it can be unpredictable. Also, I have thinning hair but have never noticed hair falling out so this has been very gradual. I never had a great hairline to begin with, always much higher on the sides ("crowspeak" i think they call it?)

For those recommending certain surgeries, what about certain doctors? and how many grafts?

And to add again, I'd rather this form be constructive vs hostile. I'm just looking to hear experienced opinions and I hope others similar to me will be able to do the same from the comments in this form. 

Regarding retrograde, I don't believe this is true and have been seen by a number of doctors and this has never been mentioned. Not to discredit the comment but let's drop this one for now.

Edited by TheGreatGasby
  • Like 1

I'd also add that I don't subscribe to the notion that any top doctor (those recommended in this form and elsewhere in the community) would recommend FUT over FUE simply because it is easier for the doctor.This may be true for inexperienced or cheaper doctors but you could also argue that FUE has had the opposite affect and has allowed many inexperienced doctors to start recommending FUE by turning a dermatologist clinic into an FUE side hobby by using neograft, etc.

This same Dynamic occurs in any business. If one technique is more tedious you charge higher for it, which all the doctors I am talking to do (and prices are very high per graft). 

Hair restoration has come a long way....From scalp reductions, to plugs, to minigrafts, to follicular unit transplants to follicular unit extractions, (a glorified punch).  Thinking about FUT, how easy for the doctor, (still doing surgery but having a 9:00 to 5:00 job and not having to be called in an emergency).  Removes a strip, gives it to the team to dissect.  He then makes recipient sites and the team does the placing.  In the meantime he is reading, sleeping....I've seen it.  FUE comes.  No one likes change.  But if you decide this is the best for your patients, OK. You'll spend a long time harvesting.  New pains - back, hands, posture....etc. Why do you think harvesting is typically done by others? 

After harvesting the process is the same. 

In my view, the reason to do a hair transplant procedure is to have more hair, not less.  Let it grow! If so, FUT.  Why? Cost is probably in the minds of many...but the true reason should be to maximize the donor, particularly when dealing with advanced cases.

With regards to retrograde, it could be a haircut issue.  Change to another hair dresser.

• Like 1

FUT is still the gold standard both for your donor management and graft yield. Who have you consulted with or considering for your procedure? At your age and level of hair loss, you're not going to be a one-and-done kind of patient, so be realistic, practical with an eye toward the future! and my other advice is don't panic and make an impulse decision based on fear. Choose a reputable surgeon and you'll be in good hands.

Edited by home1212
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies @LaserCap and @home1212.

I’ve had a number of online consultations but there are 4 primary doctors:

1) Carlos Wesley - 2,400 FUE. Was a super nice doc just was surprised by number of grafts and also don’t see any patient postings

2) Konoir - said FUT (didn’t state grafts) or FUE if I wanted short hair (2,000 to 2,200). Awesome doctor but schedule is insanely booked

3) Cooley - recommended 2,500 FUT. option to do 1,800 FUE but wouldn’t do more and recommends FUT. Really like Cooleys experience and results. 

4) Bloxham - recommended 2,500 FUT. option to do 1,600 FUE but wouldn’t do more and recommends FUT. Really like his demeanor and results. I know that clinic is very biased towards FUT though (maybe correctly so)

Could start with the ~1,800 FUE and maybe do FUT next if needed? But then maybe just start with FUT, to potentially, get best results..

Great doctor choices. I wouldn't let schedules dictate; hopefully time is on your side. Get on one one of the doctor's schedules and try meds to stabilize. Look at the doctor's hairline results and let that be your guide. I think FUT makes sense if you are not likely to cut short.